cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to keep rewards and number while out of country?

Pbubbly
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Will be gone for 1-2 year, what is the cheapest way to keep my number and rewards points?

9 REPLIES 9

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Try to find somebody who would take over your account/plan for that period of time. Any other solution would cost you a little bit.

@darlicious 

I was think if the OP was gone so long. No of the family and friends will call or remember the old number unless it was programmed on their contact.

All in all, it will just cost a price of a SIM when they return and inform friends and family of the new number.

But you are correct that they will loss their points.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@BKNS27 

?

So you are suggesting that rather than setting up a few reminders and paying $45 - $$ rewards per year to save their phone #/account/$$ rewards account the OP should abandon it and get stuck with a points account, new number and buy a new Sim card?

Edit:

OK my bad....I see the OP has a points account.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Pbubbly 

It would be a hassle disabling AutoPay and restart payment every -90 days. It is easy switching to the $15 plan but if you are gone so long. I would suggest you close your account and get a new SIM card and new number when you return because no one call or text you while you are out of Canada.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

Lol....there is a winking emoji following my post. 😁

Here's another money saving tip.....quick stock up on bottles of Sen. They are currently $5 off at $6.99. 😉🍷

@darlicious- I was going for easy, less hands on. I realize it means forgoing the $2 autopay 3 times a year. We don't know what other rewards the customer is getting to stretch out even more dollars either.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

My preferred method is $6 cheaper per year than the autopay option.😉🤑😀

Edit:

Oops....we're even steven. I missed the bit about points.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Pbubbly 

By setting up some reminders on your calendar and alarm to ensure you do not miss reactivation deadline dates (89/90days) you can suspend your account for $45(3×$15)/year (350 - 360 days) or less $$ depending on your rewards. Of course if your plan amount is fully covered by rewards there is no point in suspending your account. Here are your options for suspending your service for up to 89/90 days, reactivating for 30 days and repeating the process.....if you can time it so that you reactivate some time in December you will qualify for the "more is merrier" holiday gifts. Here are your options.....

Spoiler
You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
Spoiler
If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
Spoiler
Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
Spoiler
Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
Spoiler
If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
Spoiler
Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your voip number (like textnow or fongo)before you leave Canada.. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your voip number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your voip #'s voicemail for all voicemail messages.
Spoiler
Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 89/90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels!

OK.....and I have discovered using the spoiler option on the toolbar and your clipboard at the same time don't play very well in the community's sandbox! I will have to go back to the old way of copying my own post. Lol....every option is it's own little surprise! 🎉🎁🎊🎈🤪

Edit:

Ignore all references to $$ rewards if you are on points. Anniversary points are unaffected by suspension but you will only earn "Get back" points for payments. Give back points only if you earned them in the previous month and have active service when they are added to accounts between about the 5th and the 7th of the following calendar month and referral points I haven't quite narrowed down exactly when they are added and how suspension would affect them.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Change down to the $15 plan and then pay every 4 months. You'll "waste" a 30 days of paid service then it'll go into suspension for 90 days. But be certain to make that payment every like 115 days. You lose it all if you go over 120 days.

Adding - and turn off autopay.

Need Help? Let's chat.