cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US calling

Kenny7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My brother just bought the 34$ US plan as he is doing a bike ride across it.   His text and data works.   But when either I call him or he calls me, it goes straight to voicemail.  He has a S10plus

8 REPLIES 8

Kenny7

Ok thanks for all the input, I will consider this closed.   It would however be nice if then selecting the US plans, that a notice of what your phone requires to work would be nice.  Regular people just expect it to work and not have to worry about networks and such.

Thanks all

@BKNS27 No. Calling a Canadian number from Canada does not require a US long distance add-on. It makes no difference to the one calling from Canada that the Canadian phone being called is in the US.

@Kenny7 Your phone isn't VoLTE enabled with Public Mobile, so phone calls won't work unless you happen to find a T-Mobile 2G connection (good luck, ymmv).

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

@BKNS27 if you call him. You will need the $15 1000 minutes USA LD calling Add-on.

Does that apply even though calling a Canadian number?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Kenny7 

If he has the Canada/USA plan his call should reach you but if you call him. You will need the $15 1000 minutes USA LD calling Add-on.

I would think you and your brother didn't enable Do Not Disturb setting.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @Kenny7 

First, tell him to reboot the phone. Here's a how to.

How to change Network Operators on Android

Find network operators by sliding your finger downwards from the top of the screen.

Chalupa_Batman_0-1717287347591.png

Press the settings icon.

Chalupa_Batman_1-1717287347483.png

Press Connections

Chalupa_Batman_2-1717287347567.png

Press Mobile Networks

Chalupa_Batman_3-1717287347529.png

Press Network operators

Chalupa_Batman_4-1717287347383.png

Press Select Manually and wait till your phone searches available networks.

Chalupa_Batman_5-1717287347487.png

Press the either AT&T or T-Mobile - I found T-Mobile worked better in US. 

Chalupa_Batman_6-1717287347239.png

Make sure you slide open the Data Roaming Turned On. Then Press the Home key to return to the home screen.

Chalupa_Batman_7-1717287347299.png

Now reboot and you should be ready to go! T-Mobile seems to work better for me at least.

Created by Chalupa Batman

If this still doesn't work and you need to reach out to a CS Agent. Just know that there will be a long delay to get back to you.

To Submit a ticket, please click the following link to access the Public Mobile Chatbot:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html  Type: Customer Service Agent

Chalupa_Batman_8-1717287347660.png

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: I am not a Public Mobile employee. I am a customer just like you. Please do not send me a private message with your personal information. 

Kenny7

So he says he cannot toggle the auto carrier button and just gets an error.  He is currently connected to Att

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Kenny7 

what phone he has??

If your issue is with voice, make sure VoLTE is enabled on the device setting.  And if it does not work, try to change the Network to T-Mobile ONLY, and change  Preferred Network Type or Network Mode to 2G and see if the calls go through.
Also, you can download VoIP app TextNow as a workaround to make calls and text if you have Wifi or if your roaming has data component and data  is working

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Kenny7   His phone is not enabled for VoLTE (Voice over LTE) so he would need to try and connect to T-Mobile's 2G network.  There is no more 3G in the USA for phones that don't have VoLTE to use.

Need Help? Let's chat.