cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming

Techchallenged
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am severely tech challenged and I don’t understand tech language. I will be in the US traveling. Need calling and data. Planned to get the US roaming add on, but after everything I’ve read, I’m terrified it won’t work.  Any suggestions to set up before I’m on the road? 

30 REPLIES 30

Jeannie6
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If you just purchase US talk text plan, will your data kick in? Have lots of data on my phone.

Lablover

Just returned from Maui use T-Mobile as your carrier and that worked for me 

@kjnickel_1  Try rebooting the phone , are you in the US now ? If so make sure your connected to T mobile or AT&T and have data roaming turned on in phone settings . Also do you know if you have voLTE enabled . And sorry no live support but you can private message support agents using this link 

send a  private message   To CS_Agents click          

VVVVV      Link below    VVVVV

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

kjnickel_1

I have the $50/40gb US Roaming plan and it does not work ...... would require a live agent to make this function.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Cwmoose 

What didn't work? Data? Texts? Calls? I suspect that you have a phone not provisioned for VoLTE. T-Mobile has the 2G network for voice calls in addition to their VoLTE calling. Unfortunately New York.....and New York city in particular has poor 2G network coverage.  ( Along with Florida and many rural and underpopulated areas of the western US.

Read more here...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

thanks @dust2dust 

then he should continue trying the roaming when he is back in US

@hTideGnow- He had switched to the plan, not just an add-on. We'll see what he thinks of my agreeing caveats to his beware.

hi @Cwmoose 

from what we understand, support will give you back an account credit if roaming does not work, and you can prove them no data or little data were used.    Please message them again and ask them to escalate

@Cwmoose- You're reasonable to say "beware". There are caveats.
It's best if your phone has been enabled for volte already. It's preferred to leave the phone on 4G LTE if it's currently on 5G. It's preferred to leave the phone on automatic network providers to pick up either T-Mobile or AT&T.

Leaving the phone on 5G might only work for T-Mobile. Not having automatic networks wouldn't be able to connect to something else. Not having volte would mean only being able to use 2G GSM on T-Mobile if your phone can do it and coverage would be less. If your phone is on 3G UMTS/WCDMA then that won't work at all for anything.

Cwmoose

I just got back from New York and bought the 50$ U.S. roaming and data.....it did not work for me and they wont give a refund.......beware

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@Techchallenged 

Welcome to the community!

You may want to consider if the timing is right just scheduling a change plan on next renewal to the $50/40gb US Roaming plan. You can schedule it to change back to your current plan (unless it's a grandfathered/legacy plan as changing it means losing it) after renewal.

Since you need calling and data then you are likely looking at purchasing the 15 day $30/US talk, text and 3gb bundle. Unless you are redeeming points for slightly discounted bundle ($5 cheaper) adding the $30 bundle cost to your plan amount is nearly the same price or more...

• $15 plan+$30 bundle=$45
  • $25 plan+$30 bundle=$55
  • $39 plan+$30 bundle=$69
  • 40gb Can/US Roaming plan=$50

You don't have to worry about when to buy it, running out of data (3gb vs 40gb), expiry dates etc....you will have a more seamless transition (you still need to enable roaming etc...) but you have less of a chance of encountering a glitch with a plan vs an add on.

Of course this is all dependent on if your renewal occurs on or before your departure to the US and whether your current plan is still an in market plan offering or not to change back to...? Food for thought. 🤔

If your phone networks are set to 5G then I suggest setting to 4G LTE to maximise possible connections and functions.

@MetaMorpheusMob- AT&T does not offer 2G GSM.

Techchallenged

Thanks. You were super helpful and patient. 😊

maple_leaf
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

My pleasure. Have a safe trip!

maple_leaf

Don't worry about APN, it stays set to Public Mobile... Turning data roaming on is all that's needed. Basically, you are roaming onto AT&T or T-Mobile networks as a "guest" with permission to use your included PM voice and data service on their networks (via plan or in this case add-on). 

@Techchallenged wrote:
  • Thank you so much! 
    so as long as I switch to ATnT or t-mobile, turn roaming on  
  • and what about APN?

If the data is working now while you're in Canada, don't change the APN settings for use while you're in the US.  You're supposed to use the same Public Mobile APN settings while using the Public Mobile service whether you're in Canada or the United States. 

Techchallenged
  • Thank you so much! 
    so as long as I switch to ATnT or t-mobile, turn roaming on  
  • and what about APN?

Techchallenged

It took me that long to turn wifi off🫤

LTE!!! Yay

maple_leaf

I know, it's all confusing, but basically the U.S. has phased out the older 3G (3rd Generation) cellular technology in favour of 4G (4th Generation) and 5G (5th Generation). Your phone, iPhone 11 is a 4G capable phone, so no worries there. See more info. below from Apple support:

For iPhone 11 (turn on roaming data):

After arrival: Open Settings. Tap Cellular, or Cellular Data, or Mobile Data. Then tap Cellular Data Options and turn on Data Roaming.

For iPhone 11 (LTE/VoLTE):

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203124

Hope this helps.

@Techchallenged  Your at home? turn wifi off and try sorry 

Techchallenged

I don’t know what you mean? LTE or 3G are not displayed only the little bars? 

@Techchallenged  Make a call out on speaker phone so you can see the top of you phone  does it still display  LTE or does it display 3G while connected on a call 

Techchallenged

It seems to be on LTE

how do tell if it drops to 3G?

Techchallenged

i actually understand toggling data roaming. And I’m away for 10 days so good for the 15 day add on

statusquo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

To use the data you need to make sure your data roaming is enabled and I agree that you need to time the purchase of the roaming package carefully as it's only valid for 15 days unless your visit is for a shorter period.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Techchallenged   First you wanna make sure you have voLTE enabled on your phone . You can test this by putting your phone network to LTE and make a call does the phone drop to 3G or stay on LTE if it drops to 3G it’s not enabled and could cause you issues for voice .  US roaming will start as soon  as it’s purchased . You need to make sure you’re connected to T mobile or AT&T .and have data roaming turned on in phone settings 

Techchallenged

iPhone 11

The 3G thing has me confused. And the volte? What? 😳

maple_leaf

Hello @Techchallenged , No worries! We've got you! Have a look through this U.S. Roaming troubleshooting guide/FAQs:

U.S. Roaming Troubleshooting:
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/us-roaming-troubleshooting

Do you have an iPhone or Android?

P.S. - the add-on starts the day you purchase it, so plan the purchase accordingly. 

Hope this helps.

Need Help? Let's chat.