cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming

zjmg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I am travelling to the states this weekend for a visit but when looking into add-ons, I noticed the announcement about the 3G shutdowns, and some vague messaging about how this might affect service. I am wondering what that will actually mean in reality. I am going to need access to the internet while there - nothing major, just for maps and maybe messages. Will I have no signal now that the network has been retired? The FAQs aren't very clear on it.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@zjmg 

It sounds like you may not even need a US Roaming add on. I suggest you download a  voip provider app such as textnow or fongo. These can be used on wifi and with mobile data. (Fongo charges a fee for outgoing texts but has considerably less advertising than textnow.) These apps are a workaround for the issue with pm voice calls only working on the 3G network as they will allow calling on the 4G LTE network.

I would preload your your account balance with $20 so if the need for a US Roaming data add on arises it can be easily purchased. With the ability to recieve pm text messages without a roaming add on a US Roaming data add on will allow you to also send and recieve MMS, send and recieve voice calls on your voip app ad use mobile data.

Once you purchase a US Roaming data add on ensure you have enabled roaming on your phone. Reboot your device. Manually choose at&t or T-Mobile.

@mellondon wrote:

Bedtime = best. 

In the future, you can correct a spelling mistake by clicking on the down pointing arrow that's above the timestamp of your message post and use the edit message/edit reply option.

mellondon
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Bedtime = best. 

mellondon
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just came back from Michigan and Indiana AT&T no longer working and t-mobile spotty at bedtime 

zjmg

Downloaded one there to be on the safe side - thanks!

zjmg

Thank you!

You can download maps and use offline. Just not navigation and directions. The GPS position will show on that offline map.

You can receive texts without roaming. Just not sending or any calls or of course data.

@zjmg wrote:

Thank you! I mostly just want to make sure I'll be able to access maps when in between wifi spots.

@zjmg   You should be ok, just manually pick one of the 2 networks and see which one connects and connects better.  Do not leave it with Automatic select

Also, you might want to download offline map for Google.  

Enjoy your trip

zjmg

I was considering that, but am only there for a couple of days and mostly on wi-fi anyway, this would be more just in case I got lost. Fingers crossed it should be okay.

zjmg

Thank you! I mostly just want to make sure I'll be able to access maps when in between wifi spots.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@zjmg hi that is getting harder to say people this morning couldn't get on at&t because of 3g shutdown t mobile is still available  might be better off getting a local sim 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@zjmg   if the main thing you need is Data, it won't affect you much, just make sure you manually select T-Mobile or AT&T from the network provider list instead of leaving it as Automatic

The 3G comment is more for voice.  Voice needs 3G for PM service.  AT&T has started taking down 3G network and it might affect voice coverage in some US area.

Need Help? Let's chat.