cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming unable to make phone calls

justindra
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am in the US and have already added the unlimited US Call and Text roaming add on. I am able to send SMS but I am unable to make phone calls to any number. It just tries to connect but never does.

10 REPLIES 10

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@justindra 

Location, location, location. Where were you when you attempted to make a voice call? Unless you were in an urban area there was likely no network to connect to? All 3 of those states have poor coverage both the 2G network and when it existed the 3G network. Even the 4G LTE network has its limits in those states but texting can work with a weak signal since it only needs the briefest of connections to be sent and recieved. Customers need to lower their expectations with Roaming add ons in rural areas of the US especially in the west. It doesn't matter which provider you have there are areas that simply do not have coverage.If that's ones expectation then utilizing a satellite phone would be a better choice.

@justindra   

please open ticket with PM Support.  The understand the roaming situation and usually will provide full or partial refund without problem

1. Please open ticket via Chatbot (need access to My Account): At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you have trouble with Chatbot or you don't have access to My Account: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

justindra
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks @softech I'm travelling around so I have been in Washington, Utah, Colorado. What would be the best way to get in contact with PM to get that refund. I didn't notice that it wasn't working as I was using SMS most of the time, until I got stuck and needed to call someone and realized it does not work.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Lol...you made me look! There are large sections of New York City with no 2G network. If you look at Manhattan there is basically no service on the east side and Central Park but good pockets of service on the west side its almost literally black and white in comparison.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Florida does have poor 2G network coverage. NYC is probably due to the density of highrises affecting 2G signal penetration and interfering with its ability to transmit over longer distances.

@darlicious wrote:

@justindra 

Your ability to connect to T-Mobile's 2G network is dependent on your location. It is much easier on the eastern side of the US as the network is much more comprehensive

@darlicious but surprisingly, sound like 2G Talk  are not working very well in NYC and Florida   🙂

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@justindra 

Your ability to connect to T-Mobile's 2G network is dependent on your location. It is much easier on the eastern side of the US as the network is much more comprehensive than in the west where it is mostly in urban or heavily populated areas. Use the link supplied by @softech to my thread and check the updated post for access to the cell mapper link. That interactive coverage map will allow you to check your local area for cell towers transmitting a 2G network signal.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

What make and model of phone? It might be that your phone isn't able to switch down to the old 2G/GSM automatically and also that it might not have the choice to set it manually.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@justindra 

Just go to your cellular network settings and connect to T-Mobile. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@justindra   US roaming Talk is a bit ticky now.  US has decommissioned 3G network and PM is not using voLTE , so we are relying on T-Mobile's 2G network.  Problem is that the 2G network is old and unreliable

Which state and city you are at?

try to change the preferred network to 2G and see if the phone connects and able to make calls

If not, check around different area in the city.   But again, it might or might not work

Worst case, PM will refund the cost of the roaming

Add:  For your best interst 🙂  , check this great thread with the background and current situation  about US roaming Talk (prepared by @darlicious): 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

Need Help? Let's chat.