cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to Mexico in March: Can I use my phone (with Public Mobile carrier)?

SB78
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I've never taken a cell phone outside of Canada before, and I'm traveling to Puerto Vallarta in March.  Will I be able to use my phone for internet (researching restaurants, activities), text messaging, google maps, and potentially making phone calls from Mexico to Canada (although I probably won't need to make calls).  I don't have Whatsapp installed, but I install it, will this help me communicate via text (more efficiently and/or cheaper than text messaging)?

Thanks so much for your help!

-Sarah

13 REPLIES 13

SB78

Thanks!  This seems simpler than the Keepgo SIM card solution.  When I pop out my Public Mobile SIM and pop in my new Local Data Prepaid Sim, what happens to the apps, contacts and other information on my phone?  Can I still use the Whatsapp (app) I've installed on my phone previously, along with all of the contacts store on my phone?  Is it as simple as popping out the PM SIM and popping in the new Mexican SIM with no less of information store on my phone?

@SB78   check out local convenient stores like OXXO and they will have local data prepaid sim to offer.  Get the local data and you can use Mobile data that way

SB78

I have a Samsung S8, and it doesn't appear to support Esims, unfortunately. 

It sounds like I can use wifi at my Airbnb to use Whatsapp for texting and phoning; plus, I can research activities, directions (Google maps), check our flight status and so on, correct?

The problem seems to be that when I leave my Airbnb (or other free wifi area) I may have a hard time accessing the internet with my phone or sending texts or viewing Google Maps, correct?  How do you suggest I solve this problem, given that softech said there is no roaming service for Public Mobile in Mexico (even if I wanted to pay through the nose for it), AND my Samsung S8 doesn't seem to support Esims (as hTideGnow replied)?

THANKS!

HI @BKNS27   all dual  sims phones (2 physical sim slots or 1 physical + 1 eSIM) will have SIM card manager of some kind

S8 does not have eSIM support

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@SB78 

I haven’t tried Keepgo. It will work if your phone have the SIM card manager in your phone Settings. If not, you can’t use eSIM. I am not sure if the S8 have this setting.

You can make calls or text with WhatsApp if there is wifi or you have data available.

You can use the Google map app to show where you are and the surrounding streets.

Think of data as you wifi connection.

SB78

Thanks for the reply!  I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 (2018).  Is Keepgo compatible with it? 

I'm also going to Hawaii in July.  Should I use the KeepGo E-Sim for that trip too?

It sounds like I can use the local wifi (in my Airbnb) to access the internet and send texts for free, correct?  Or should I use Whatsapp to send texts via wifi, rather than the messaging app on my phone?  (Public mobile account says I have unlimited international texts.)

But if I want to be out on the streets, navigating using Google Maps for example, then I need to have data, right?  And that is where the KeepGo app comes in, right?

Thanks again!

-Sarah

SB78

Thanks for the reply!  I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 (2018).  Is Keepgo compatible with it? 

I'm also going to Hawaii in July.  Should I use the KeepGo E-Sim for that trip too?

It sounds like I can use the local wifi (in my Airbnb) to access the internet and send texts for free, correct?  Or should I use Whatsapp to send texts via wifi, rather than the messaging app on my phone?  (Public mobile account says I have unlimited international texts.)

But if I want to be out on the streets, navigating using Google Maps for example, then I need to have data, right?  And that is where the KeepGo app comes in, right?

Thanks again!

-Sarah

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@softech wrote:

@BearFBI   is MyaMobile only for Dominican or for other Carribean counties as well ?  And Mexico, too?

Worldwide, it's like KeepGo.

The only difference is KeepGo has the all in one SIM that covers every country with just 1 SIM, MyaMobile requires you to purchase different E-SIM's for different countries or regions. 

@SB78 I forgot to add, even if KeepGo is more expensive I would highly consider it as the data last 365 days instead of 30 on MyaMobile. it just makes less headaches, don't have to worry about planing it or having it expire during your trip. Ive used KeepGo in combination with my PM sim in Canada and it was flawless. The individual country plans on KeepGo are quite reasonably priced, sometimes even cheaper than the local prices. Only the odd country where MyaMobile comes out cheaper

@BearFBI   is MyaMobile only for Dominican or for other Carribean counties as well ?  And Mexico, too?

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SB78 I have a relative going to the Dominican and just now I set them up with MyaMobile. 

It's just an E-SIM service that you can buy and setup in Canada then plan you're activation date in advance for when you arrive at your destination. It's got quite good pricing and it's much easier than getting a local SIM. Some local carriers require you to show ID, or require a local ID and address in the country, you never know what you are in for.

Keepgo is another one I can vouch for. If you pick the cheapest one between the two you should be good. 

If you have an iPhone you can iMessage and FaceTime audio with your phone number, to other iPhones. If you don't have an iPhone you communicate with your PM phone number to other phone numbers (iPhone or not) via email. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@SB78  if you have Wifi access in Hotel, you can also download VoIP app TextNow and use it to receive and make calls/text to Canada like a real phone, except you use the app and you need Wifi or Mobile data

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@SB78 

WhatsApp will only work if your other party also have WhatsApp. If they don’t, you can’t text or call them.

The other option is to download TextNow and pick a new number on the app or purchase a local SIM.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@SB78   No, there is no roaming service for PM in Mexico.  You have to use local Data sim or Wifi.

Need Help? Let's chat.