cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling to Las Vegas and Los Angeles, need data roaming

Isthatok74
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I'm travelling to the US (Las Vegas, Los Angeles) in a few weeks and will need data (I don't care about calls or texting). Should I purchase the US Roaming data add-on? Will I get adequate service in these cities?

Just asking because I found a lot of threads saying that the 3G network was getting shut down in the US over the last year etc., and have been reading some conflicting reports on whether or not data roaming was affected by the shutdowns.

6 REPLIES 6

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Isthatok74 just to add, you can also try connect to AT&T,.  Some reported they can access roaming using AT&T earlier this week.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Isthatok74 

You should be fine since 3G affects calling if you only need data. Just connect to T-Mobile network.

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If it was me, I'd change my plan for 30 days to the Canada-US Plan, you'd get alot more Data as well as Calling + Texting in the USA and to back home. 

Other alternatives would be an e-SIM with Airalo, this will give you just Data only for a low price and you won't even have to use your Public Plan.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Isthatok74 

make sure you wait until the last minute before buying your US Roaming add-on as it starts as soon as you successfully purchase it. You could even wait until landing in US to log in to your PM account using their free wifi...then buy your add-on. For just data, you should have no problems using it in SoCal and LV. As a matter of fact you'll likely still receive texts while you're there...even w/o buying the text add-on. ( I've heard too, that occasionally you can send texts w/o that add-on while in US as well)

Test it out and let us know (a) how much you win in Vegas and (b) if the texting works w/o buying the text add-on. Good luck.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

You'll be fine, the 3G network shutdown only affects calling. But if you don't need your phone number for calls and texts, I might suggest a travel esim from a provider such as Airalo or Ubigi. Much cheaper. You buy their plan, download their esim, and then just turn the e-sim on in your sim card settings when you're cross the border.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Isthatok74  You should be fine for data and make sure your connected T mobile 

Need Help? Let's chat.