cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Roaming Add On for travel to California

goboy150
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello - once I purchase the roaming add on will that allow me to 1) receive SMS messages on my phone in the US 2) to send SMS messages on my phone in the US 3) to phone within California to local California businesses and 4) to phone back to Canada?

I would like to also access data in the US but it looks like the PM US roaming plan is pretty meagre - can I also use whatever data I get with the US roaming add-on to surf the interwebz as well?

And all the above with no need to reconfigure my phone? Just buy the add-on?

3 REPLIES 3

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@goboy150   The US roaming talk text and data add on is $30 for 15 days while the Canada/US plan is $34 for 30 days and 50GB of data.  The problem is if you want to switch back after the 30 days we have no idea what plans might still be available, they seem to be changing by the minute (slight exaggeration).

The only hang up with US roaming can be if your phone is not VoLTE capable and enabled since the US no longer has any 3G network.  It may still be possible to connect to T-Mobile's 2G but if your phone is not VoLTE then you might want to get a free voip app like TextNow or Fongo for voice calls using the roaming data.  You can also use those over wifi if you don't get the add on or Canada-US plan with data.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @goboy150 

When you purchase US add ons, it's like being back in Canada. You bring what you purchase with you. So if you purchase 3GB add on, you bring 3GB of data plus unlimited calling and texting with you. 

Depending on what plan you have and how often you go to the US, you may consider that new offer of $34 50GB Canada/US plan. I had that recently and went to the US. I abused it like a rented army mule. Did a TON of FaceTime back to Canada and friends in the US. Food for thought.

EDIT: Just know that when you get to Cali, reboot your phone. If things aren't working, Then you may need to go into your network settings and turn off Automatic and choose either AT&T or T-Mobile. And then reboot.  Also note, your phone must have VoLTE enabled. You should google your phone to confirm before purchase.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@goboy150 

1, yes, 

2, yes, 

3 , yes

if you buy US roaming with data, you can use the data in US.  Make sure you turn on data roaming on your phone and connect to T-Mobile and AT&T

Need Help? Let's chat.