cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring number

Manaflare83
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello.

I'm trying to activate my wife's phone from Fido to PM.

I was told PM can't transfer the number from the previous provider since I canceled before activation.

Would it be possible to use the same number as the one I used before?

or should I have a new number anyway ( the previous one for Ontraio and I moved Quebec)?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Manaflare83 wrote:

or should I have a new number anyway ( the previous one for Ontraio and I moved Quebec)?

What the others said (especially @hTideGnow ) but another consideration is that PM sometimes has better plans for QC than ON. "QC" means a Quebec number and address. You have to balance how much your wife values the ON number, and if there's a QC plan that suits her better.

You can see the plans by going to PM site and not logging in. Just choose "EN (ON)" or "EN (QC)" at top right to see plans. There's not a lot of difference (for example both have a promotion of $29/10GB for new activations), but look at the Canada-US plan pricing. ON is $65/60GB and QC is $50/50GB (both cheaper if you pay 90 days at a time). It would be unusual (to say the least) to have an ON plan that's better than QC, but better QC plans happen fairly regularly.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Manaflare83 Postpoid service like Fido usually willing to do you a favour to reactivate the service for a day so you can request porting.  So, call Fido back and ask .

Once they are done on their side, you can request porting on PM side again.  If you already requested once, you will have to call the porting support team.  I will send you the number to your Community inbox

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@

if you cancelled old plan, you'd have to call them to see if that number is still available in their system...then activate a new Fido account so you can port number over to PM. Best is to just get a new number anyhow is my suggestion.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Manaflare83  You will need to just pick a new number in that case 

dwh1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Manaflare83  At this point, all you can do is pick a new phone number - the system does not let  you ask for a specific number from the pool of freed numbers.  In general, when changing carriers, you shouldn't cancel your old carrier so that you can port the number.  The old plan will automatically cancel when ported out.   What's done is done now, though.

Plus, for incoming calls to you, the caller - assuming they don't have Canadawide calling - would pay long distance based on your number, not where you are.  That potentially means that doctors and dentists, etc, would pay long distance to call you from the same city you are living in.  Granted, this is an edge case and hopefully wouldn't actually matter - but I think it does make sense to have a number that is in the same calling area you live in.

Need Help? Let's chat.