cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer existing number when activating or do it later

Winterpeg0
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

HI Everyone:

Just decided to go with Public Mobile and were wondering if I should transfer my existing Rogers number when doing the activation or wait until a couple of days. I will be using the esim option as I have a new Pixel 6a phone. Some have said to do it immediately when activating and other s have said to wait a day or 2. I would prefer to do it all at the same time. I have a regular sim card from Rogers, so both can remain active. Thanks for your help.

5 REPLIES 5

Winterpeg0
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi Everyone, thankyou very much for the help. As I am transferring my old number, which is on a physical sim card to my eSim on my phone, I will transfer when activating. Thanks

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Both ways are acceptable.

But if I were you, I would first open account, activate SIM, pay the bill AND confirm ALL services work as expected and only then do number transfer (after few days). One task at the time to avoid unnecessary frustration.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Winterpeg0 wrote:

HI Everyone:

Just decided to go with Public Mobile and were wondering if I should transfer my existing Rogers number when doing the activation or wait until a couple of days. I will be using the esim option as I have a new Pixel 6a phone. Some have said to do it immediately when activating and other s have said to wait a day or 2. I would prefer to do it all at the same time. I have a regular sim card from Rogers, so both can remain active. Thanks for your help.

@Winterpeg0 , if you port your phone number over during activation & you encounter an issue during activation you will not be able to receive the text to port your phone number over nor receive the 2FA text to be able to log into your account! Especially if you encounter issues when installing the eSIM! Some successfully port over their phone number during sign up & some don’t. Personally I would prefer to wait until service is fully working before porting my phone number. Once your account is fully activated & working you can transfer your phone number by signing into your account.

@Priority has helped people with this so he has better advice & experience on it than I do though!

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Winterpeg0 

Either way is fine. I normally activate and port at the same time.  As already mentioned, use your Roger's account number, phone number and account holder name when you port (ignore IME).  Keep your Roger's SIM card in phone until you receive Roger's port request text.  

Others will always activate with temporary number first and make sure service is working. Then port over afterwards.  

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Winterpeg0  You can do it on activation or afterwards . It used to be recommended to do it afterwards . But with new ever safe ID I think it’s best to do it on activation so that your number you want to port  over will receive the code for ever safe ID . If you do it afterwards your temp number will receive the code and you will have to update the number in your account . Managing the ever safe so makes for unnecessary steps . But when you do transfer the number . Just use old providers account number and not the phones IMEI . Leaving old providers SIM card in the phone so you get the confirmation text to transfer the number by replying YES to it 

Need Help? Let's chat.