cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking when data usage refreshes

mmaarrscus
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I noticed that PM plans refresh data every 30 days, instead of every month. What is the best way to track data usage for every pay period? Most apps/tools I see uses a refresh date monthly (refresh on the 15th of every month, etc)

7 REPLIES 7

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I use a third party software to monitor the data use, Data manager,  it lets you to control the usage as it sends you notifications on daily usage setup by you or monthly usage notification as well. Best thing is the data monitoring is real time. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@mmaarrscus 

Personally I just use the tools available to me in my phone but I also keep a good eye on my account and usually check in at 9pm pt (midnight eastern) on renewal to ensure my minute and data counters reset. I take a screenshot of my overview page just before (midnight) and just after.

I then change the date in my phones data tracker if the month previous had more or less than 30 days. Keep in mind that if like me you are not in the eastern time zone your phones data tracker can be off by up to 3 hours but since it renews in the middle of the night for most it is unlikely to be off by much.

I usually keep my data warning set to 25% of my plan data and the limiter to 50%. This way if you accidently disconnect from wifi or an app has gone crazy eating data from a nonstop video clip my dat will just stop before almost all of my plan data is consumed and pm sends out the 75% and 95% usage texts. If hou have add on data pm includes all of the data on the account before sending out usage texts.

There have been a few good third party data tracking apps suggested that give you a more hands off approach to monitoring your data usage decide which approach is best for you.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Meow wrote:

You can try Android app 3G Watchdog Pro if it is still around...

Data Witness PM is still on Google Play. It has 2 versions: one is free and dedicated to PM customers while paid one will work with any other carrier.

I'm not familiar with 3G Watchdog Pro, but for anyone looking for some hands-on info on Data Witness, I posted quite a bit here in the past: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/IWIK-s-quot-Data-Witness-quot-for-And...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Another one that's popular and available on either platform is called My Data Manager.  It's quite robust and flexible. 

The downside is that unlike Data Witness (which does everything locally on your device), MDM sends data back to their data centres to power the analytics, meaning there are some potential privacy issues.  You may want to have a look here for more on that and make a decision for yourself.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/How-to-minimize-your-data-usage/m-...

https://www.mydatamanagerapp.com/privacy-policy/

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

You can try Android app 3G Watchdog Pro if it is still around...

Data Witness PM is still on Google Play. It has 2 versions: one is free and dedicated to PM customers while paid one will work with any other carrier.

Nevertheless, any of these 3rd party apps will not match PM's counter but might be good for approximate usage tracking...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mmaarrscus : There's an app called Data Witness PM in the Google store that was written by a PM customer some time ago. Not sure if he's still around. It can be set for the 30 days.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mmaarrscus 

at public mobile Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

and they service plan 30 day, not monthly,

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link to save your data....

Need Help? Let's chat.