cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The cheapest option for transferring phone number temporarily?

Pvkom26
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

After spending some time on these forums, I learned that the best way for getting new plans would be transferring the phone number to another carrier and then transferring it back to PM as a new account. 

Super stupid, so if you have better ideas, please make them known in the replies or DMs. 

What are the cheapest options for doing something like that out there? Something below $20 range would be the best option, I think. Don’t care what comes with it - even if it’s 1 minute of talk and no data. It’s just a temporary haven for my phone number to get it back to our overlords at Public Mobile shortly after. 

BTW, if you know any other cartiers that give you 40Gb US-Canada for about $35, please share them in the replies. I know only Freedom Mobile but their coverage sucks (at least in the province where I live).

21 REPLIES 21

@Handy1 wrote:

@will13am and  @Sansan only pointers I have is xxxxxxxxxxxx and determination:)

I am not sure what the former is worth, but the latter is important when there is possibilities of rejection.  I think being mindful that it is easier to attract bees with honey than with vinegar is important even in the face of rejection.  

@will13am and  @Sansan only pointers I have is xxxxxx and determination:)

edited by computergeek541:  inappropriate language removed

@Sansan wrote:

@will13am  no I was never offered anything.  That's why I asked. 2 didn't reps tuned me down.

But it's all good. I LOVE PUBLIC MOBILE!!🤗.

I wanted to change to the next cheapest plan which is $24 for 4GB promotion. 

My other option is to change to the REGULAR priced  next plan at $25 which is not an option at 1GB.

I am surprised that they would not upgrade you to something like the $24 plan.  Maybe @Handy1 can give you some pointers on how to plead your case.  

@will13am  no I was never offered anything.  That's why I asked. 2 didn't reps tuned me down.

But it's all good. I LOVE PUBLIC MOBILE!!🤗.

I wanted to change to the next cheapest plan which is $24 for 4GB promotion. 

My other option is to change to the REGULAR priced  next plan at $25 which is not an option at 1GB.

@Sansan wrote:

It never hurts to ask. I'm a long standing customer on the $15 plan and when I asked I was turned down flat 2x. No brownie points here.

But everyone has different luck. 

If you are on the $15 plan, I am sure you have been offered all sorts of plan upgrades.  All my $15 plans received offers.  Needless to say, I don't have anymore $15 accounts.  

Pvkom26

Looks like the cheapest option is Bell’s Lucky Mobile.

The cheapest plan they have is $15. You get 250Mb and unlimited text and calls in Canada. No activation fee and $0 for eSIM. 

That said, it may not be solution for everybody. Some people might choose paying extra for 75Gb instead, others may decide they are OK with what they’re currently getting. I live close to the border and have a lot of American friends. Just recently got back from there, and having to pay $30 for add-on with 3Gb was anything but fun. 

Thank you for all the responses. You’re the best!

Pvkom26

I tried, the customer support was very friendly and nice but they told me they cannot do that on this particular plan I want ($34 Canada-US). 

That said, I’m not a long-standing customer in any way. Signed up with Public Mobile back in November. Back then the $34 plan included Canada only. 

It never hurts to ask. I'm a long standing customer on the $15 plan and when I asked I was turned down flat 2x. No brownie points here.

But everyone has different luck. 

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

This is a tricky one. If they open up the plan to existing customers (which they sometimes do) all the effort and cost to port could be for nothing.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Pvkom26 , doing a port out, port in is not necessarily the easiest way to get a new activation only plan as an existing customer.  This process is guaranteed to succeed, however there is much friction and some added cost.  Support has been known from time to time to offer up new activation only plans to existing customers as a form of goodwill provided the new plan is of an equal or higher cost than the current plan.  This approach does not come with guaranteed success.  The only friction involved is asking nicely and hoping for the best.  If you are a long standing customer, it should count for some brownies points.  Why not plead your case with support before doing the port out, port in process.  Use this link to message support.  Good luck.  Report back the outcome.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Chrissyrioux12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You might try asking a cs rep for the plan you would like I did and they gave it to me 

I understand what you mean it's very difficuit's no point to spend in money for something that you don't need

Pvkom26

I have old $34 plan - 40Gb, 4G and Canada-only. 

$40 offers you 75Gb - but that’s too much for me, I just know I will never use more than half of it. So it’s like spending $6 every month on something you don’t need. 

I can confirm that it is an option available for me - so maybe if somebody reading this wouldn’t mind more data on their account, they should see an option to switch in their Subscription tab of the profile menu

So which plan do you currently have ?  Public mobile have $40 for 75 GB Canada- us. It does not state new activation only on the outside page.  Maybe when you sign in , it might say that , but have you looked into that one?

Luta
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Looking at the FAQ on Numberbarn, it seems like porting can take anywhere from 3-7 days.

I said earlier lucky mobile for $19 but I think you could do it with Fido esim for a few $ with non-prepaid plans.

Pvkom26

That’s a good deal, actually. I’m spending $19 once to avoid paying $30 for add-ons with 3 Gb and limited number of minutes every time I travel to the States. 

Thank you.

Correction What I mean is if you ported out to another Carrier and you port back in you are considered a new client. In regarding the cheaper plan., 'm just saying that the cheapest  available is $15 if you want to change to that plan while you decide if you want to keep Public mobile or not

Luta
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

lucky mobile? $4 at dollarama for a sim, $15 plan so you're out $19 to get the $34 plan I think?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Pvkom26 

did you consider numberbarn to park your number for now...then port it back with your new PM plan. I dunno about costs...that's for you to investigate.

https://www.numberbarn.com/number-parking

Pvkom26

Wait - if I change my plan to the cheapest one, do I get to be considered as a new client? I seriously doubt that. Changed my plan with Public Mobile by moving to a more expensive one in the past. 

Unfortunately, the way they designed this is that you have to transfer your phone number to another carrier in order to get advantage. Right now would be a good time for some competitor and match the offer. I think a lot of PM users would consider moving. 

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

If that is what you want to do, that is an option.  I don't know if it's worth the hassle however.  The cheapest plan here is $15. If you leave and come back, you are still considered as a new client as of that date.  There is Lucky and Fizz. I don't know if they are good or reliable. 

The prices here are very good, so even on an expensive plan, your monthly savings is still better than the big 3.

Need Help? Let's chat.