cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texts

Sharon444
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I can’t receive some texts for example Service Canada to verify my account but I can receive family texts

please help

8 REPLIES 8

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Sharon444 wrote:

I can’t receive some texts for example Service Canada to verify my account but I can receive family texts

please help

Government, corporate, and financial institutions are always "behind" on technology. They are never early-adopters on the latest-and-greatest conveniences, they are always years behind, stubbornly sticking with old and boring and proven and reliable technologies.

CRA sends 2FA texts as boring, staid, standard plaintext SMS protocols. Even if the rest of the world (including the phone manufacturers) moved beyond such limited, austere, old-fashioned protocols a decade ago.

If you have iMessage, RCS, Signal, or some other (factory-installed or user-installed) messaging app which adds extended functionality above the official standard then it usually won't work when communicating with dinosaurs. You'll have to go into the messaging app settings and disable extra features or enable standard SMS only. At least for the duration of the 2FA session you need to complete (you can always turn all your pretty emotes and sounds and animations and features back on again afterwards if standard SMS just doesn't make you happy).

hi @softech 

I have  no problem with 2FA text from Service Canada or CRA, too. 

Yeah, I've never heard that before either. I personally deal with dozens of systems and venders who use SMS MFA and have never had an issue on my PM line.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Chalupa_Batman I don't think there are much issues with 2FA text with PM network, most issues were result of the delay after porting, which is normal

@Sharon444 did you just joined PM and requested porting?? It is actually normal for system generated texts (A2P) to start coming later after porting.   Systems take longer to find out you changed provider and to route the text correctly to the new provider (Public Mobile).    Also, financial institutions (banks) or government agencies (e.g, CRA)  put this delay on purpose too to avoid SIM Fraud

Usually they will start coming around the 3rd day after porting but it could take as many as 7 days for all the 2FA/A2P text to come

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Sharon444 

From my understanding this is a bit of a problem with Public Mobile. Folks who have been with PM for a while can't seem to get 2FA or Multi-Factor Authentication from places like Service Canada or Banks. Only real option is to contact a CS Agent to inform them the MFA is being blocked by Public Mobile and it needs to be escalated.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Please let us know how it turns out. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

WHEN did you become PM customer?

Some SMS requires time to find a 'route' to your number if you are NEW customer (few days). I have NO issue receiving any SMS from officials... government, banks, etc.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Sharon444  If it’s been less then a week since you joined PM and these are 2FA short codes texted to you wait till one week is up and you should start to receive them 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Is this a new account where you just ported your number in within the last week? There can be delays of up to 1 week after a port before service providers will send MFA codes. It's intentional for security purposes.

Is there an option to email the codes in the meantime?

Need Help? Let's chat.