cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting with wifi

KaraB
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can anyone tell me.... if I am not connected to a network, can I send/receive texts via wifi? I will be in the USA for an extended period and wondering if I could check text messages over wifi (since I won't be able to connect to a USA network/signal). The add-on would be too expensive for the duration of my trip. If not, is there any way to check phone/text messages that come in while I'm away. 

20 REPLIES 20

KaraB

Awesome. Thanks so much. I'll give that a try. 

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@KaraB   When in the USA, go to settings in your phone and switch to the T- Mobile network, as your network of choice.

Then you should be able to receive your text messages from your Canadian Public Mobile phone number.  And you said you have other ways to reply, so you should be OK then. Good luck.

KaraB

Thanks for your response. Really, all that I'm looking to do is 'see' the texts coming in,  so I don't miss anything. I have a USA cell with Google Fi but I'm worried, about what I'll miss on my Canada phone if I can't see the messages. I can reply many other ways so that's not a problem. You mentioned I'll need to be connected to a network, but not sure how to do that?  I do have access to Wifi so that's not a problem. Mine is an Android, not iphone. 

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I don't think this was mentioned in the earlier responses, but if you have your PM SIM in a phone in the US, it should typically connect to TMobile automatically, right? I recall getting "welcome to the US, would you like to buy an add-on" almost immediately after crossing the border. And you will still get incoming texts without paying for US roaming, you just won't be able to reply, won't have voice (which is supposed to end next month when TMo takes down the last of the 2G), and you won't have data or sending texts.

It's worked like that in the past anyway. I second the recommendation for Mint Mobile. Note that the cheapest you get right now is U$45 for 6 months of 4GB/mo (!). You can order the SIM from MM, or buy it at Target or BB (check ahead for stock, maybe even to order for pickup). There are cheaper preloaded (first month free) SIMs on eBay, but you have to be able to get one sent.

Also note for any US SIM you're going to buy, you need to check the phone's IMEI on their compatibility checker. I had trouble last year with an ex-Koodo handset that was supposed to be compatible, but Mint wouldn't activate with it (because it was missing VoLTE for 4G voice calls).

Tsawwassen

Ok ok you are correct but that’s not the point. Just giving option to the OP. 

@Tsawwassen   I understand you dont need any plan for iMessage. I just meant you need data to keep connected , when you don't have Wifi.   It is true many places have free Wifi, but still not "everywhere" like mobile data  🙂

Tsawwassen

No no no — you don’t need any plan to use iMessage over WIFI. 

@Tsawwassen wrote:

Of-course iMessage works between Apple devices. Messaging and Face time are great features and at times I wonder why I bother with a phone plan. 

@Tsawwassen   Yes, but at least you need a data only plan to keep connected?

Some people opt for Fongo or TextNow and then use only Data only plan.  If you are lucky, you can get data only plan really cheap.

Tsawwassen

Of-course iMessage works between Apple devices. Messaging and Face time are great features and at times I wonder why I bother with a phone plan. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

There is another option as well to make and receive calls using wifi but the number would be different. Using wifi, voip.ms, and a mobile phone with the Zoiper app will work too. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Yes, get a texting app with a legit phone number. And you can text over wifi. You will have to notify your fiends of the new number. If you have an iPhone or iPad you can immesage to another apple user, using their phone number or email address over wifi.  Apparently inbound texting to a PM phone located in the USA does work....but your account would have to be active. 

@Tsawwassen- Yes indeed, good remembering, but it's not real sms texting and it only works between idevices.

Tsawwassen

Yes of course you will be able to use iMessaging if you connect to a wifi source. As in Canada in the USA just about every hotel, shopping plazas etc do provide free WIFI. 

trish24
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

you can send and recieve texts messages via whatsapp plus place calls using just wifi and you use existing phone number to do it 

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you are in the US, you will be able to receive text on your PM account for free, but you do need to be connected to some network for this. You cannot reply unless you get a txt/sms US roaming add-on. But you could get TextNow (free txt app) or something similar to reply if you can find WiFi.

Brianrap
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You can send/receive texts using several of the readily available instant messaging services/apps. This article give a pretty good explanation of texts over wifi.   https://dataoverhaulers.com/send-messages-over-wifi/

porcupine

you can also use meet (google duo)or whats app

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@KaraB 

If you and your other parties have Whatsapp then you can call and text for free through wifi with your PM number.

This will be your best bet since the app download is free for everyone and you can text and call everyone in your contact list.

Or you can use TextNow app but you will need to pick one of their number.

walker1
Mayor / Maire

@KaraB   If the workaround described earlier isn't possible for you to do or too complicated, you can always get a local cheap sim card and plan with Mint Mobile.

They currently have a deal, that you get 3 months free with a purchased 3 month plan.

It might seem like a lot, but their prices are cheap compared to the add on prices here.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You can forward texts from your phone using an app. The sim would have to stay in Canada in a phone and on with the app running. Forward them to a voip app and then when you connect to wifi then you can receive and send texts through that voip app. Replying or sending will be the voip app number, not your number.

Need Help? Let's chat.