cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting in USA

nsbil
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am heading to the US for a few days and want to be able to text.   I don't need to make phone calls or receive them if I can text, and I don't need data.   My plan says unlimited international texting, so I am looking for confirmation that I am good to go and there will be no additional charges for simply being there and using the US system...? 

14 REPLIES 14

I didn't realize incoming texts would work even without an add-on.  Is this true everywhere or just the USA?

@Lonetreejim  Unofficial, may or may not work while in the US only and can stop working at any time. So if your need to receive texts while in the US then it's recommended to purchase the appropriate US roaming add-on.

@VirtualRory wrote:

What do you mean by let the moderators know? I bought the US roaming plan, I can see it in purchase history, but it's not in my overview and it's not working. I'm receiving no texts at all. Thanks.

@VirtualRory  Showing in your payment history only means that you funded your account with that amount. If the add-on doesn't show on your selfserve landing page then you need to add it to your account.

@VirtualRory wrote:

What do you mean by let the moderators know? I bought the US roaming plan, I can see it in purchase history, but it's not in my overview and it's not working. I'm receiving no texts at all. Thanks.

Is the amount showing in available funds?

If so, you need to go back to the add-on page and select it again to activate it.

Have a look at the link provided (twice) up-thread. It lays out the process step by step.

@VirtualRory wrote:

You should really start your own post for your question

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/Plans_Add-Ons

And more info will be needed:

- when did you buy the roaming add-on?

- which one did you buy?

- Are you in USA now?

- Have you tried enabling roaming on your phone settings?

VirtualRory
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@wetcoaster wrote:

@Lonetreejim wrote:

Also note the following:

1. Texts are free to receive while you are in USA. You do need to have the Roaming add-on to text back.

I didn't realize incoming texts would work even without an add-on.  Is this true everywhere or just the USA?

Only in the US, and not as an official feature - meaning that this glitch in favour of the customer could be "fixed" at any time.

While true, do note that its been like this for the longest time.

PM isn't alone, many cell providers allow free incoming texts.

@Lonetreejim wrote:

Also note the following:

1. Texts are free to receive while you are in USA. You do need to have the Roaming add-on to text back.

Only in the US, and not as an official feature - meaning that this glitch in favour of the customer could be "fixed" at any time.

@Lonetreejim wrote:

Also note the following:

USA only that I'm aware of.

If it works elsewhere, consider yourself lucky!

Lonetreejim
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Also note the following:

@mh1983 wrote:

Do we really need multiple people replying to say "the above answer is correct"? Mark it with "likes" but there's no need to pile on with the same reply -- it comes across as posters trying to game the system to get extra rewards.

Thanks for your feedback.

The fact remains, original reply was correct, but there was additional info I thought the original poster should be aware of.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Do we really need multiple people replying to say "the above answer is correct"? Mark it with "likes" but there's no need to pile on with the same reply -- it comes across as posters trying to game the system to get extra rewards.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@nsbil wrote:

I am heading to the US for a few days and want to be able to text.   I don't need to make phone calls or receive them if I can text, and I don't need data.   My plan says unlimited international texting, so I am looking for confirmation that I am good to go and there will be no additional charges for simply being there and using the US system...? 

The info posted above is correct. You just need the US Roaming Texting add-on. It costs $8 and lasts for 10 days.

Also note the following:

2. Purchasing Add-ons is a 2 step process. Here's a guide you may consult:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/HOWTO-Purchasing-Add-ons/m-p/198974#M22...

The add-on is activated immediately upon purchase.

3. There is a problem with the Texting Roaming add-on (that PM is attempting to fix). When the Roaming add-on expires after 10 days, you will not be able receive any texts for 24 hours. To avoid this issue, contact the Moderator as soon as you're done with the Roaming add-on. Let Moderators know you've bought the Texting Roaming add-on, you're back home in Canada and would like a reset done so you can receive your texts.

Enjoy your trip!

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

^^ This is the correct answer

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

The unlimited international texting is only while you are in Canada.  You would need to purchase a us roaming texting for $8 which is valid 10 days from purchase.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/us-roaming

Need Help? Let's chat.