cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text forwarding to my US number

BigTree
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am a snowbird currently in Arizona for the winter. My PM account is still active in Canada but don't (can't) use my Canadian phone in the US although I have it with me. Is there any way to forward text messages to my US number? Amazon 2 step verification has locked me out of my account because the verification code gets sent to my Canadian number.

51 REPLIES 51

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BigTree : Verizon worked for calls/texts on your A5?

@BigTree wrote:

Yup. We are in Quartzsite Arizona and T-Mobile data works, AT&T works great and Verizon works fine for call/texts but useless for data. I mean unusable useless.

For your PM SIM, it won't work on Verizon, PM only partners with AT&T and T-Mobile.

BigTree

Yup. We are in Quartzsite Arizona and T-Mobile data works, AT&T works great and Verizon works fine for call/texts but useless for data. I mean unusable useless.

BigTree

In addition to above...AT&T works too. Just not Verizon. Too bad that was what my phone was defaulting to.

@BigTree   yes.. remember, when you are in US.. T-Mobile and AT&T are your friends .. and use manual network selection instead of Automatic (but when you come back to Canada, you might have to change it back manually)  🙂

enjoy your trip

BigTree

Turns out the problem may be even more simple. Her phone when rebooted connects to the T-Mobile network by default and receives (not send) SMS messages. My phone for some strange reason connects to the Verizon network by default and does not receive SMS messages. If I force my phone to connect to the T-Mobile network is does receive SMS messages. 

Don't know why this is so but I am a happy camper now and 2SV is turned off on Amazon.

You guys are the Best !!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BigTree : I would be very surprised your phone won't work in the states. Did you go into the connections and under mobile networks is automatic set to on? If not then set it on and it really should find either T-Mobile or AT&T. Or go into there anyway and scan for and find and connect to either. The clue will be that you'll get a text welcoming you to the US and inviting you to buy roaming add-ons.

I don't think replying to 4911 in the states will work anyway so you might have to do that the CSA way.

@darlicious : Yes inbound texts are received.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BigTree 

try to do reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  Here link,

APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visit Here link,

Select the brand and model of your phone,

and try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for android visit Here link ,

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,to refreshing your network,

*what is meant by rebooting the device turn off and turn it back on.

@BigTree 

Yay! Strange that your phone will not connect to the network. Saying that you should try replying YES to 4911 for your holiday gifts while your sim card is in your wife's phone and same for her sim card if she hasn't already....if you do no get a text back saying they have been added to your accounts then contact customer support before December 31st to have a CSA add them for you.

Happy Holidays!

@BigTree   Happy ending in the end.

just a suggestion, use more ways for 2FA., email, Apps.. Also, see if you can setup a Google Voice.  It is quiet convenient to receive 2FA on GVoice, you will get it on email as well. 

BigTree

OK folks here is the latest on my SMS forwarding situation:

All started out because I was locked out of my Amazon.ca account because of my 2SF msg was being sent to my PM phone which does NOT work on any network in the US and will NOT receive texts even though my PM account is active.

Here it gets strange. My wife has the identical phone (Samsung Galaxy A5) bought at the same store (BestBuy) at the same time and we both have the same (active) accounts at PM.

Hers will receive SMS messages and mine will not. The Amazon account wants to send a 2SV message to my phone which doesn't work.

So...I switch SIM cards and now her phone receives SMS messages to my phone number. I was able to unlock my Amazon account.

@BigTree wrote:

*611 does not work. "Not registered on network"

Amazon app on phone does not work....same issue with 2SV.

@BigTree   email to lookup old orders is the only way for now then..

1-877 numbers might help if that is a live support

not sure if you want to try roaming since you seems like having issue connecting your phone to the US network.. it might or might not work..

BigTree

*611 does not work. "Not registered on network"

Amazon app on phone does not work....same issue with 2SV.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BigTree 

your account with public mobile is active or Suspended Plan?

Missed a payment? After your plan expires, all you need to do is top-up your balance to keep the current plan going. You have up to 90 days to make a payment and, after doing so, your payment cycle will restart and your service will resume.After 90 days of non-payment, your account will be permanently deactivated, which means you will:

• Lose access to your phone number, and won’t be able to transfer it to a new provider in the future.
  • Need a new Public Mobile SIM card if you decide to activate a new Public Mobile account.

Reactivate a suspended plan (publicmobile.ca)

if you are in U.S. and you need to SMS from Amazon to receive it you need to purchase Add-ons,, another member the say you can getting SMS maybe you will receive only for 4911 or 611 from public mobile.. but from Amazon you can't getting the SMS without purchase Add-ons,,

and for Amazon make call to them and let them to put it you only to your email verifications.

BigTree

Good advice on the email verifications! Never thought of that.

The Amazon app on my phone didn't work either. Same issue.

Looks like I might be able to prevent this situation in the future.

@BigTree wrote:

Just get a "Not Registered on Carrier" msg.

@BigTree 

you got this message on the screen when PM SIM is there?  if so, leave it like that and try to call *611 to see if it works.. as your friends to text you and see if it receive the text.  Some reported that they can still receive text while in US

Also, on your A5.. do you have the Amazon app there?  if so, connect to Wifi and see if you can still use the app without relogin.. if so, you can check your past orders and can continue  the Amazon password reset process

BigTree

My Samsung A5 will not connect to any US carriers period...sim or no sim.

BigTree

My Samsung A5 will not connect to any US carrier.

BigTree

Just get a "Not Registered on Carrier" msg.

@BigTree wrote:

the last 3 purchases I made on Amazon.ca were. I can only remember 1 as it was 2 months ago and I am old!

@BigTree 

you got email with your orders, didn't you.?  check the email for delivery update and invoice.. 

did you use amazon app on your phone?  if so, get a Wifi spot and check the Amazon app... maybe you don't need to relogin to check previous orders there

did you try the 1-877 number above.  was that live support?

if you got it back to your account, setup a Google Voice number if possible (I think you can with your US prepaid phone #) , then add the GVoice  number on Amazon 2FA.. beauty for getting 2FA on Google Voice is that you got the text on both the app and Gmail.. so, you won't run into this situation again.

BigTree

Tried that multiple times. I can answer all the basic questions until they ask me what the last 3 purchases I made on Amazon.ca were. I can only remember 1 as it was 2 months ago and I am old!

BigTree

I have tried clearing the cache and Incognito mode...same problem. I think this must be what happens, at least on Amazon.ca while in the US, when you get locked out of your account

@Jb456 

Do you connect to a US network when receiving incoming pm texts?

@BigTree   try the phone number I sent you.  If that 1-8777 number does not work in US, download TextNow and with that app, you can call Canada and US for free

for your A5, did you try change the carrier?  it should see AT&T and T-Mobile.  it is a new enough phone and it should see those carriers.  For SMS, it works on LTE so it's ok without 3G

@BigTree 

Try calling 611 on your pm phone.

BigTree

That is correct. My A5 has my PM SIM card in it and will not connect to US networks. I also have a locked to AT&T prepaid phone.

@BigTree  I am not sure this will work since you're already in USA but give it a try if you have an android phone. I use it all the time since I came across the app awhile ago.

It is called Mighty Text here is the Google app link to download.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.texty.sms

Download it and allow the permission access.

Then go to www.mightytext.net and sign in. You'll see all you're text's and can send texts, make calls,etc.

I just don't know if you need to have your phone in Canada for a signal. I usually leave phone in Canada and bring a backup phone out of country.  If that is the case and you're in Arizona for awhile.  You could ask a friend in Canada if they have a spare phone. Then ask them to go to Walmart or London drugs to pick up a new sim card. Then change your sim card number in your account to the new sim card that they buy. Have them plug the phone into a charge and leave it on. 

Keep us posted. 

@darlicious   oh.. you meant the old phone.OP said "  because it is not compatible (4 years old).".. I was wondering about that too.. 4 years is not too bad.. I understand no 3G network now, but for text, it can transmit via LTE so it shouldn't be any problem.. 

@BigTree   the link I sent you, work on my US VPN no problem.  you can try to clear cache or use Incognito mode and try again.

However, maybe Amazon is good, they have a phone number to call.. try this: 

please call us at: 1-877-345-3364.

@softech 

To my understanding the OP has two phones. The A5 that they have been using with pm and the new prepaid phone locked to at&t. Please correct me if I have misunderstood this info.

@darlicious   no.. if phone is carrier locked.. it won't try to connect with a different SIM

Need Help? Let's chat.