cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible lag on IMs, and no calls coming through

pubmonewbie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have not been into the forum for over a year, mostly my PM situation has been excellent.

Today (because of course: Monday) I had some critical banking to do remotely that involved electronic verification combined with a texted access code.. Long story short, my sister and the bank rep could not reach me with a phone call, and I was receiving no IMs to my phone. I have had real problems all day and it would be good to know what is causing these problems.. Plus, should I expect to experience this in future? I'd move my plan to another carrier and pay a lot more if I knew I'd be dealing with this on the regular, absolute deal-breaker to have this kind of disruption in basic service. Worst possible timing, too.

8 REPLIES 8

@pubmonewbie 

You are the second person indicating that they are having issues with PM reception.

There are no indications of outages so Telus maybe doing upgrades or maintenance.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@pubmonewbie 

If toggling airplane mode on/off hasn't fixed the issue then trying @softech 's suggestion of switching to 3G only may resolve the issue for now if you are experiencing issues due to cell tower equipment upgrades in your area. This may last a couple of weeks.

However this would not affect texting or data only your calling. Whereas a poor network connection would cause dropped calls, calls going straight to voicemail and lag sending and receiving texts and delays loading pages while using mobile data.  Airplane mode completely disconnects you from the network and re-establishes a brand new connection.

The following is the normal method of trouble shooting for these kind of issues or if your sim card needs reprovisioning.

1. Reboot phone.
  2. Toggle airplane mode on/off.
  3. Remove sim card. Check for any dirt of debris in the sim card slot or on the sim card. Ensure the sim card sits snugly in the slot or use a paper shim or a little of well placed tape to secure the sim card. Be sure to allow 10 minutes to pass before reseating the sim card and rebooting.
  4. Perform a reset of your network settings.
  5. Switch to 3G only.
  6. For provisioning issues that can commonly occur after renewal try adding a manual $1 top up payment to your account.
  7. Or go to the plans or usage page and click on the lost/stolen feature. Suspend your service. Log out/in. Resume your service. Be advised that customers earning traditional rewards will have a glitch occur causing your rewards to not automatically apply upon renewal. You will need to contact customer support to have them applied manually by a CSA after your renewal.
  8. If you are still experiencing issues then contact customer support to have them reset your account and reprovision your sim card. Worst case scenario your sim card could need replacing you can ask for a credit to be applied to your account for the cost of a new sim card once you submit your reciept.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

pubmonewbie

Thanks to softech and darlicious for the suggestions. I'm north of Edmonton, in central Alberta. I did try moving to different locations in my home. I think it's an area network issue, and hopefully rare.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@pubmonewbie 

You could just have a poor network connection. Try toggling airplane mode on/off. See if this fixes your issues.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

@pubmonewbie

which area you are at?? Province and city?

@pubmonewbie it could be a network issue in your area.   At least do a quick reboot.  Changing to 3G only should be a quick one too and see if it works.   You are moving around now?  you might get better signal when you are in another area if it is really network issue locally  

pubmonewbie

It's a little busy to crack open my phone to reseat the SIM, I might try that this evening. Not sure about changing network settings to 3G (I'm not a 5G user, is this a setting I have to adjust now?). Never experienced this type of issue in the past, and I did get calls and texts mid-afternoon. In one case, several texts showed up all at once, all sent over 60 min previously and showing the same time stamp some 60 min after they'd been sent. New one for me.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@pubmonewbie is your outgoing calls working? and Mobile Data working?

Try to  reseat the SIM (power off device,  take SIM out for a minute before putting it back in and power up again)

If still fails try to change your network settings to 3G only  and see if it helps 

Need Help? Let's chat.