cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking full advantage of Rewards Points

public_phone
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am currently on the $15 dollar plan and have recently switched over to the new rewards setup. Instead of $2 off each month and an additional $1 off as a part of loyalty, I now have a collection of reward points. I was wondering though on how to best utilize the points with the plan that I have.

13 REPLIES 13

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@public_phone 

Since you are on the $15 plan bill credits is the only option other than adding the 1gb data add on to supplement your 250mb of plan data. At 10 points (=$10) you save $5 off the regular purchase price of $15. These add ons also do not expire and roll over every 30 days so you could look at it like having a $17.50/500mb plan if on average you used an 250mb over your included plan data. The $5/500min add on and $15 bill credits have equal value so there are no extra savings to be had.

If you run low on your 100 outgoing minutes and you have no add on minutes on your account private message me....I have an idea for you to try out that might work for you.

@public_phone wrote:

I am currently on the $15 dollar plan and have recently switched over to the new rewards setup. Instead of $2 off each month and an additional $1 off as a part of loyalty, I now have a collection of reward points. I was wondering though on how to best utilize the points with the plan that I have.

The best way to save money is almost every situation is to not switch. You've already done that , so all you can do now is use the points as best possible to buy add-on and plan discounts using the points. I've done the calculations all the way up to $70 (I haven't fiigured out the numbers for plans priced between $70 all the way up to $95), but in every case, the old rewards system was better unless you're buying multiple add-ons on a regular basis.  However, if you're buying that many add-ons, you'll probalby want to considering changing to a different plan anyway.   While the 5% points back offering can make up for the loss of pre-authorized payment rewards, those and the new loyalty points don't even come close to making up for the loss of the old loyaly reward credits.

Here's another thought; if you plan to stay with your $15 plan...spend 5 Points on the 500 minutes of Canada wide calling add-on. Those add-on minutes will take over if you use up all your  regular plan 100 minutes. Any unused add-on minutes will roll over until you use'em up, even if that takes several months or longer.

Good to have "in the bank" if you find you've used up your regular plan minutes some time.

public_phone
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I am going to try and use 15 points for $15 dollars whenever possible for my discount choice.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Korth 

Funny my most tech savvy referral is the only one who clicked to join points and immediately after clicking thought uh oh maybe that wasn't a good idea?!! All the others basically can't or don't access their accounts are all still safely on the rewards program.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

What's done is done. No going back.

I'd personally just points towards paying for service, get discounted/free plan each time the points fill up enough.

But applying points towards add-ons would be better, if you need them and would buy them anyways. If you don't need them and would have to contrive ways to use up your purchases then they're a waste, might as well just save money on your plan.

Strange thread. Most people are impatient, impulsive, always eager to spend without prompting.

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Too late, you can't switch back. The rewards program is worse than the grandfathered rewards..... This is the reason why I don't touch anything on the rewards website except to check how many $ I've earned. Plus, this month I'll get my first year loyalty reward.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@public_phonedo you buy add on often?  Best way to use the points is to reseem Addons using points.  Addons redeemed by points are generally 33% cheaper than paying

If you don't need to get addons, then redeem them for $15 bill credit whenever you have 15 points.  I usually suggest not to stock up the points as there are really not many ways to use the points

The worst way is to use it for the jackpot, It is 1 point for 1 chance, but I imagine the odds are low, unless you are into gambling  🙂

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@public_phone 

NO! You shouldn’t have switched unless you are on the $40 or more plans. Now you can’t switch back!

Sorry…brain explosion…to earn additional points, you have to get more friends and family to join PM for an additional 1 point per member. Another way is to be active on this Community to be the top contributors and earn up to 15 points per month…but give up your day job.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@public_phone 

Oh dear....well it's done now. No regrets!! Points are best utilized for discounted add ons. Save them for US Roaming add ons or if you are a low data user and dont make s lot of outgoing calls or don't mind asking people to call you then using the $15 plan and redeeming for 1gb data add ons can make it a reasonable build your own plan so you can save money switching from the $25 plan.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@public_phone 

old rewards for $1 new rewards for 1 Points.. e.g.  you have total rewards $3  new rewards 3 Points, 

when you redeem on Lower Your Bill, you'll get a 15 Points = $15 credit on your next bill.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@public_phone Best is to use them for lowering your bill unless you believe in having a good luck and gamble away for a jackpot.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire
Need Help? Let's chat.