cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly can't receive calls from one person

MaryAnnM
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My friend, who lives in the US (we both live near the border), all of a sudden can't get through to me. I moved my SIM card into my old phone, and my friend gets through. Put it back in my current phone, and my friend gets a busy signal. No other contact has reported having the same issue.

My phone is a Moto G Pure. I've checked my blocked number list, and my friend isn't there. I'm unaware of any settings I may have changed recently - my friend just suddenly stopped being able to call.

Any idea what may be causing this? Thanks for any help!

Edit: I've tried all suggestions. Nothing worked so far. Any other ideas?

39 REPLIES 39

MaryAnnM

She just tried, no go. She said now her numbers won't go off the screen when she is done. Will that last a day or can she fix it? Maybe she needs a new phone.

MaryAnnM

When she gets home I will get her to try *82. Yes, on this phone and also on my previous phones,

she was always unknown number.

@MaryAnnM *82 should work.  and can you test the PM sim in another phone for the caller id?

MaryAnnM

Yeah, that's where I'm looking now. I had actually deleted blocked numbers last week, even though she wasn't listed there.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Looks like the Moto G Pure runs Android 11... Look for settings like this:

From the Google Phone app, go to Settings > Block Numbers >

• Block Calls from Unknown numbers.
  • Caller ID and spam protection

MaryAnnM

She doesn't have caller ID, just a plain ole phone. She doesn't block (wouldn't know how). Would *82 even work?

@MaryAnnM wrote:

Her calls always showed as unknown number before.

OK in that case, we don't want to ask her to use *67 to "block" caller ID, since they're already doing that (and maybe your phone is set to reject calls from "unknown" callers) but there's a different code to "allow" caller ID if it blocks by default.

Ask the caller to try prefixing *82 before your number to allow outgoing caller ID for that one call only.

MaryAnnM

Yeah, it's got to be my phone. I'll try your suggestions. Thanks!

@MaryAnnM wrote:

Hi, I will ask her to try that. Thanks. 

I forgot to tell support that I can receive her call when I put my SIM in another phone. Doesn't that sound like it's my phone? 

Yeah, if the call comes through with the SIM in another phone I agree that would rule out it being a network issue, and pointing to your phone... If it's the phone it really sounds like somehow your phone is rejecting the call, and it would usually be because of the callers phone number being somehow blocked on your phone...

Might want to dig further in your settings for blocked/unknown caller settings, but having the caller try calling with blocked caller ID would be a good test/data point...

MaryAnnM

Her calls always showed as unknown number before.

MaryAnnM

Hi, I will ask her to try that. Thanks. 

I forgot to tell support that I can receive her call when I put my SIM in another phone. Doesn't that sound like it's my phone? 

@MaryAnnM wrote:

This has NOT been solved. Support got back to me and said it's her phone. It's a landline so IDK...

Any more thoughts?

Just to completely rule out the potential for caller ID blocking, if it's a land line, can you ask your friend if they can call with their caller ID blocked.. On a landline this is usually accomplished by prefixing your number with *67. The call should come through as "Private Caller"...

MaryAnnM

This has NOT been solved. Support got back to me and said it's her phone. It's a landline so IDK...

Any more thoughts?

MaryAnnM

Sent another ticket. Thanks

@MaryAnnM wrote:

Still no solution. Sent in a ticket last  Wednesday but no response.

There was recently an issue with the system. Please open another ticket.

MaryAnnM

Still no solution. Sent in a ticket last  Wednesday but no response.

MaryAnnM

Hi, no she isn't on my blocked list. That was the first thing I checked, and rechecked. So far, I have tried the suggestions given, other than removing her, which I've done but she hasn't tried calling yet. It is so frustrating!

Double check that you haven't inadvertently added that particular caller to your phone's blocked callers list.

You said the caller could reach you when you put your SIM in a different phone, which leads me to suspect this...

MaryAnnM

Yes, unfortunately it sounds like my end. I will do that as a last resort after trying the other suggestions. I use texts as a reference kind of thing and hate to delete them, but will if I have to. It's such an annoying thing. I hope it's just a setting I've managed to change.

@MaryAnnM  but since the calls work when you were using another phone, it still sound like a problem on your end

On your phone, you have saved a contact with here?  maybe delete the contact first.  Make sure the text all deleted as well and ask her to call you again

MaryAnnM

Yes!

@MaryAnnM wrote:

As I'm reading your reply, it dawned on me that she called me from somewhere else one day, one street up from her apt!

@MaryAnnM   ... and that call worked?

MaryAnnM

As I'm reading your reply, it dawned on me that she called me from somewhere else one day, one street up from her apt!

@MaryAnnM wrote:

A burning question is: wouldn't it have happened from the beginning? Why just out of the blue? Started the end of March.

Onliest thing I can think of is PM is slowly introducing volte to the PM network...not sure if that has anything to do with your issue though.  🤔

MaryAnnM

Ok, I will try that as well. I can't test anything until she gets home later. It only happens if she calls - I can call her fine.
Thanks!

@MaryAnnM   if just one person and just on your device (as you tested the PM sim card on another phone and it works), I think it is a device problem

Just curious, if you change your phone's Preferred network to 3G only, would that help?  Test it

MaryAnnM

A burning question is: wouldn't it have happened from the beginning? Why just out of the blue? Started the end of March.

MaryAnnM

Will do. Stay tuned.

Thanks everyone!

@MaryAnnM wrote:

She is old-school and still uses a landline! 😄
In settings, under "Network", should "Automatically select network" be selected? I have it off now but can't remember if it was on or off before. NO memory here, unfortunately.
I might get her to try me later and if she can't get through, I'll try removing her on my end.
Thanks!

If you're very close to the US border...just leave Automatic Select Network disabled. Otherwise your phone might tell you you need an Add-on to work whilst in US...even though you're in Canada. Your phone might pick up a stronger US network rather that PM.

MaryAnnM

Found it. No updates available.

Need Help? Let's chat.