cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spending time away from Canada and want to keep my number active

Portaluca
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Im going to spend a few months in the UK this winter. I've been with public mobile for years and really like it, but I want to be able to keep my Canadian phone number active enough that I can get texts - for two factor authentication and because I run a business (seasonally but still, people contact me in the winter) and people have that number. 

Public mobile won't work abroad, and freedom mobile doesn't do sims for my location (Yukon). Does anyone have any recommendations for a provider that I can get a pay as you go plan so i can keep my number so I can still receive texts in the UK? I don't need minutes or data or anything just to be able to get texts. 

19 REPLIES 19

slusagm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 no wonder you are an Oracle and you are computer geek., you know the technology and not just post anything without thinking 

thanks @slusagm for correctong our wrong replies.  Glad you pointed out what was wrong, if OP believes it and waits for 2FA on iMessage while he is traveling, he would be super upset to find out we misled him with wrong info

@Portaluca you won't get your 2FA on iMessage when you travel 

@Wayworn wrote:

For years we have been  iMessaging with relatives in Europe. Ofcourse one has to be connected to wifi in order to do so. Just in case you have doubts I'm cut and pasting the following.

Can I use iMessage in Europe?

iMessage is free to use internationally! For iPhone users out there, iMessage is probably one of your most commonly used service to keep in touch with your friends and families.May 7, 2024

There's no doubt that iMessage can be used to communicate with other iMessage users.  However, the aspect that others are questioning is how the customer is concerned about 2FA text messsages.  Such 2FA text messages are usually sent by SMS.  iMessage and SMS aren't the same.  The iMessage servers are unable to send and receive by SMS.  As such, 2FA message  sent to users by SMS will not be received unless the Public Mobile service is being used.  Is it possible that such companies are sending the 2FA codes out are simultaneously sending the message out both through iMesssage and SMS?  That's a possibility.

slusagm

We are all nice and no one will say it out  in public that you are a liar.  But I present you fact and you don't accept 🙂

Wayworn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@slusagm wrote:

you got your sma on iMessage and MacBook because you phone still on the PM network. 

If you travel and no roaming, this won't work

Please - give me a break --- I'm just stating facts based on my experience - do you have an iCloud account ? Do you know that you can even also iCloud text by using an email number? I'm not  a lier  or delusional but just trying to help the OP.  My wife is definitely on NO NETWORK AT ALL and could text you if you have an iCloud account ---  I'm insulted and ask ----if you   have some facts or just can't comprehend that what I'm saying is true -?????--- 

slusagm

you got your sma on iMessage and MacBook because you phone still on the PM network. 

If you travel and no roaming, this won't work

Wayworn

@slusagm wrote:

thanks @Chalupa_Batman , I was to type both WhatsApp and iMessage, and trying to reply to couple of you.  None of those WhatsApp or iMessage with data or Wifi would take care OP's concern of the 2FA situation 

On what basis do you make this statement ?????? I don't know about WhatsApp but do know that my 2FA do come by iMessage even to my MacBook.  

On a side note --- and I know it's hard to comprehend if one does not use apple products ---my wife for the past several months does not have a mobile  plan and continues to happily use her iPhone for googling, shopping, paying bills, even Facebook and who knows what else strictly with the her completely free iCloud account.  However that's not for me I must have some data because I can't be bothered connecting to mall and coffee shop wife networks. She keeps on reminding me that my $34 plan does cost me $408 / year and thinks that's money better spent elsewhere.

slusagm

that's is just wrong !! 

2FA sent via SMS via mobile network.  iMessage works only for those Apple - Apple message when you have wifi and local data.  It still won't get the SMS because SMS only transport over the carrier own network, which you don't have PN network when you are overseas. 2FA text are simply SMS text

Next time when you travel, test it out yourself and you will see I am correct 

@slusagm wrote:

thanks @Chalupa_Batman , I was to type both WhatsApp and iMessage, and trying to reply to couple of you.  None of those WhatsApp or iMessage with data or Wifi would take care OP's concern of the 2FA situation 

Actually, that's not 100% accurate. At least for the iMessages. If the OP set up their account using an iPhone, iPhone iMessages DO work if they have a data connection such as WiFi or data SIM. Meaning messages should technically still be coming through, including their 2FA codes. 

EDIT: 

Does iMessage work on Wi-Fi internationally?

To use iMessage internationally, you need an active internet connection. This can be achieved through Wi-Fi or cellular data, depending on what's available.

slusagm

@slusagm wrote:

but OP was also asking " for two factor authentication", none of those Whatsapp or so would help

OP needs to find out what 2FA system he has and change to authenticator app or voice call and ask them to change to some VoIP app so he can receive calls

Hi @slusagm You have me confused with someone else in this thread. I did not suggest Whatsapp. Please correct your comment. Myself and Wayworn were talking about if he had an iPhone then maybe iMessage MAY work in the UK if he had a data or WiFi connection. Thank you. 

Wayworn

No I haven't been to Europe for many years. But for many years we have been iMessaging with relatives in Europe. And also at times use Face Time - all of which is completely free. Also we keep connected when we are in the USA - and recently with my daughter that was vacationing in Costa Rica. But of course we have to be connected to WIFI  and all parties need to have  Apple iCloud accounts that are also completely free. 

slusagm

but OP was also asking " for two factor authentication", none of those Whatsapp or so would help

OP needs to find out what 2FA system he has and change to authenticator app or voice call and ask them to change to some VoIP app so he can receive calls

@Wayworn wrote:

For years we have been  iMessaging with relatives in Europe. Ofcourse one has to be connected to wifi in order to do so. Just in case you have doubts I'm cut and pasting the following.

iMessage is free to use internationally! For iPhone users out there, iMessage is probably one of your most commonly used service to keep in touch with your friends and families.May 7, 2024

When you were there, were you connected just to WiFi or did you use a data only SIM card?

Wayworn

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Portaluca 

You can use WhatsApp on wifi and it will link your PM phone number but both parties must also have it too.

My suggestion is to get the SIMore 4G router and leave it connected to a home wifi and your SIM in the router. This way you can get calls or text anywhere around the world. It is available for iPhones or Androids.

https://www.simore.com/en/iphone-dual-sim-active-simultaneously-4g-router-adapter-triple-dual-sim-at... 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

This is where I wish Public Mobile would offer parking services. It would really save them customers. 

If you are still looking to get text messages and such while you're overseas, you're going to have to switch to another service provider that offers overseas usage. 

Like @Wayworn mentioned, if you have an iPhone you MAY be able to use a data plan down there and MAYBE still get iMessage there. But this is only a theory that hasn't been tested. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Portaluca 

sorry, there is no way to get your PM service working in UK as PM does not have roaming service other than US. 

So, there is really no workaround.  You can use TextNow to make calls, use Whatsapp or iMessage for messaging.  

With 2FA, you have to check with your bank and change it to email or other ways

Wayworn

Maybe if you have an iPhone iMessaging may help to keep you in touch.

Need Help? Let's chat.