cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim

Davros
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I’m a bit stuck , I didn’t realise due to my own ineptitude that public doesn’t do international roaming and I’ve arrived back in the UK and unable to have the sim work at all. 
So I’ve thought of a couple of work arounds but ideally I’d like to make sure that public don’t have a solution for international roaming . If that’s impossible then I would like to port out my number to a roaming sim or VOIP . But the rub being is if I do that I will need to verify identity at present via a sim or call to the sim ‘I can’t access!’ . 
so I feel stuck , any help @CS_Agent.

kind Regards

5 REPLIES 5

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Davros 

if you're going to have access to robust wifi, consider downloading free VOIP app like TextNow. It uses your wifi or separately purchased data and you'll be able to call / text most any US and Cdn number for free. You'll select a free Cdn number so others can call and text you as well...for free. When I'm away from Canada for short trips, I'll use the TextNow app and seems to work fine. I'm sure there's other VOIP apps but that's the one I use. Good luck.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

There is only roaming in the states.

Have you been through setting up the new login system yet?

There's a bit of a workaround but it would need somebody in Canada to do. They buy a sim and you use the email address to change it on the account and then they put the sim in a phone and they can do whatever's needed. To stay with Public, you could get any one of the voip apps and a Canadian number and they could then set up call forwarding to that voip app number. Then there you are wherever you're on the internet being able to receive calls. You calling out would then have to be that different voip number. Then they could remove the sim and carry on with their lives.
Texts are a whole other workaround. That would need a phone with your sim in and kept on and charged up and using a text forwarding app to forward texts to that voip app number.

But this all requires you to be able to get the email 2fa code.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Davros 

Sorry you can’t use PM in the UK because they don’t have a contact to use any of their towers. There are a lot of inquiries about this before they purchase any Roaming plans.

The only work around is to use WhatsApp or TextNow app through WiFi for free calling and texting.

The best option is to purchase a local SIM in the UK.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Davros 

is using travel physical sim or travel eSIM good enough workaround?

if you need calls back to Canada or someone to call you, use voIP app TextNow

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @Davros 

Public Mobile only works in Canada and the US. You can port if you wish. 

EDIT: PM will send you a text to confirm your port request. If you're not here in Canada, it won't work. Unless someone back in Canada has your phone, you may be SOL.

Need Help? Let's chat.