cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I change my plan?

dadsgt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Currently on a grandfathered plan....3 months for 90.00...1gb and provide wide calling.  

The 25.00 dollar plan seems to be a better deal..basically getting more data 2gigs and canadawide calling.

My phone displays 4g when using data on this plan.

25 REPLIES 25

I believe that I've heard it can take a couple of days before switches between 3G like speeds and true LTE are implemented. Thus if you just made the change you may have still been on true LTE speeds when doing the test. However, I switched from LTE to PM with 3G like speeds a year ago and noticed no difference in what I do online.

AE_Collector

dadsgt

Thanks everyone.  .plan changed easy peasy .. I don't notice any difference on 3g...so far..

@darlicious wrote:

@CannonFodder  My internet speed at home was really bad til they set us up with two bandwidths and a WiFi booster.

Sorry, but while I consider myself something of a computer geek, and pretty knowledgeable, I have no idea what you meant there.

I was getting faster speed on my phone! We're on fibre optic w/50mbps

Since it's fibre optic, it must be Telus..... didn't think they had a fibre optic package that slow, i.e. you can get 50Mbps via their regular lines. For instance, there is no fibre in our neighbourhood, but we can get their 50Mbps plan here.

1. Home internet speed test: download 32.5mbps upload 56.3mbps  (3 devices connected)

Uhm.... 32.5Mbps on fibre is actually kinda crappy - you ought to be hitting the rated number, or above, in both directions.

2. Mobile data  3G only           download  6.0 mbps  upload   1.7mbps  (20mb used)

I guess the difference between yours and mine, is my lousy signal strength.

@dadsgt  You can see my results of my speedtests a few hours ago. I'm glad you've finally made a decision. Just make sure you choose "change on next renewal". You can choose your solution now though!

@dadsgt You are welcome . Glad that we could help you . And dont forget to use the change your plan when cycle ends. 

@dadsgt wrote:

Ok...this is a no brainier...25 dollar plan is much better for me and save 15.00 too.

Searched here and on on interwebs about 3g public mobile and it's basically lte lite which is good for me.

I did a speed test for kicks and the results are 18.7download and 13.5 upload. Roughly 47 mb's used if that's accurate. Not that blazenly fast.

Thanks for replys all

dadsgt

Ok...this is a no brainier...25 dollar plan is much better for me and save 15.00 too.

Searched here and on on interwebs about 3g public mobile and it's basically lte lite which is good for me.

I did a speed test for kicks and the results are 18.7download and 13.5 upload. Roughly 47 mb's used if that's accurate. Not that blazenly fast.

Thanks for replys all

@CannonFodder  My internet speed at home was really bad til they set us up with two bandwidths and a WiFi booster. I was getting faster speed on my phone! We're on fibre optic w/50mbps

1. Home internet speed test: download 32.5mbps upload 56.3mbps  (3 devices connected)
  2. Mobile data  3G only           download  6.0 mbps  upload   1.7mbps  (20mb used)
  3. Mobile data  4G LTE            download  2.8 mbps  upload   2.9mbps  (14mb used)

I believe the OP said on unthrottled 4G the download was 86.0mbps and used 400mb for the speed test. It makes quite the difference especially if you are on a low data plan like you with 250mb or even the 1gb plan or if you are using the 1gb data add on.

@darlicious wrote:

@dadsgt  Dont do a speed test. On 4G you can use 400mb in one speed test. On 3G you would use about 20mb.

Since we've been talking a bit about this, I JUST did a couple of tests.

A test using the SpeedTest.net app, on 3G, used 10MB. I was logged into my account, and had just downloaded a couple things, including the speedtest app, and data was sitting at ~66.4MB used, and after I'd done the speed test, I refreshed my account page, and it was almost right on 76.4MB that had been used.

Although the download speed, at 3G, was the expected ~ 3Mbps, I had NO IDEA how bad the upload speed would be.....  ~0.4Mbps!!!  🤮 

Just out of curiosity, I turned off data, and tried it via our home WiFi. Our internet package is at 100Mbps down/10Mbps up, and when I test it on my 'puter, via ethernet, it's typically 110/11, but while using WiFi, on the phone, I got about 34/11.

@darlicious wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@dadsgt  Dont do a speed test. On 4G you can use 400mb in one speed test. On 3G you would use about 20mb.

While I'm assuming you know what you're talking about on this one, since I'm also assuming you've done such a thing..... BUT, that doesn't make any sense, unless I'm COMPLETELY ignorant of how speedtest.net, or any other speed testing site runs. I would think that they're pushing a finite sized amount of data at you, simply to test your speed, and 4G should simply accomplish the task much quicker..... 🤔 

@CannonFodderI've done speed tests with my 5gb plan on 3G. I won't do it on my $10 plan with 4G. I had been warned not to do it. Just the other day an OP was wondering about it and did a speed test. He was amazed that he got an 86mbps on his 4G. He was then warned....and came back to say"That explains how I just used 400mbs in the last 5 minutes!" Enough said.....

Wow, that's kinda ugly!!! 😯 

@Joelkim  The OP can change his plan but not to his old one...hes currently on a grandfathered 90 day plan. Once he changes he can no longer get it back...or the 4G speed for data.

Joelkim
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I want to say something that your choice is not others. It is yours. You can try what you need for daily life for a month or maybe another months. If you feel you're spending too much than the current plan, you can change to the old plan any time. But I would say it is up to you.

@CannonFodder wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

While I'm assuming you know what you're talking about on this one, since I'm also assuming you've done such a thing..... BUT, that doesn't make any sense, unless I'm COMPLETELY ignorant of how speedtest.net, or any other speed testing site runs. I would think that they're pushing a finite sized amount of data at you, simply to test your speed, and 4G should simply accomplish the task much quicker..... 🤔 

@CannonFodderI've done speed tests with my 5gb plan on 3G. I won't do it on my $10 plan with 4G. I had been warned not to do it. Just the other day an OP was wondering about it and did a speed test. He was amazed that he got an 86mbps on his 4G. He was then warned....and came back to say"That explains how I just used 400mbs in the last 5 minutes!" Enough said.....

karimmont

I agree, it is not because you are doing a test faster that you would spend more data. When the 5G will come we will need to have bigger plans though. I explain : If you have netflix and the speed of teh internet drops, the quality of the image will get blurry. This is because the software will continue supply an image at the same speed for our eye but if it had to cope with the 4K resolution, the lag will make the image stop. 

Same thing with our cell phone. While the data needed is much inferior compared to TV sets , our cell phones will get a clarere picture of a much higher quality and as such the technology will be unsufficient to display the best quality of image. It will not consume more data but will consume it faster for less images. 

Does that make sense ?  

@darlicious wrote:

@dadsgt  Your phone will still show 4G with the new $25 plan. It still uses 4G just throttled down to a slower speed.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dadsgt wrote:

Thanks for replies...so I guess I read the plan wrong...it's 1 gb per month?...or 3 gbs for 3 months?..I like the 90 day autopay.

I signed up with public 4 years ago...I'm not sure if I'm getting 4g or not... wouldn't my phone show 3g instead of 4g... doesn't really matter anyway don't use it much...surprisimly 1gd was enough for 3 months.

But if I had more ..i would use it more

Re: 3g vs. 4g status ,would depend on what cell networks you allow your phone to connect to. So phones on PM can technically connect to either one but both paths are the same: 4g/LTE in this case is basically throttled to 3g speeds.

Anecdotally, I should say the PM data speeds are just fine. I put them to the test during Snowmageddon in Newfoundland while we were without internet. We did a lot of streaming and didn't notice any major quality issues. We didn't do any downloads; that's probably where you'd notice the speed difference the most. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@dadsgt , I would switch to the current plan.  The full speed LTE if not worth hanging onto at that price.  The only legacy plan worth keeping is the $120/90 days/12GB plan.  Only losing out to the current $40 plan by 1GB per 30 days.  

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@dadsgt  Also, take into consideration that the new plans are nationwide calling, and  yours is provincial wide

@dadsgt wrote:

Currently on a grandfathered plan....3 months for 90.00...1gb and provide wide calling.  

The 25.00 dollar plan seems to be a better deal..basically getting more data 2gigs and canadawide calling.

Decide on your data needs...you will use slightly less on 3G. If you don't mind losing the 90 day plan...as its no longer offered try out the $25. If your just not needing 1gb a month try out the $15. You can always switch back and forth depending on your need. Less in winter because your on WiFi more...more in summer because your outside more away from WiFi. Either way your saving money.

dadsgt

More data is better

@dadsgt wrote:

Thanks for replies...so I guess I read the plan wrong...it's 1 gb per month?

Yes, it comes with 500MB, but if you set up autopay, you get an extra 500MB, for that 1GB total.

...or 3 gbs for 3 months?..I like the 90 day autopay.

Personally, I've never looked into the 90 day thing..... I THINK they still offer that.... 🤔 

I signed up with public 4 years ago...I'm not sure if I'm getting 4g or not... wouldn't my phone show 3g instead of 4g

Not sure what phones would show what info, but if you REALLY want to know, just do some speed tests at: https://www.speedtest.net/ 

... doesn't really matter anyway don't use it much...surprisimly 1gd was enough for 3 months.

Yeah, me too - I'm on the $15 plan, with only 250MB, and I really don't use it unless absolutely necessary..... I pretty much hate surfing on such a tiny screen, at relatively slow speed, anyway.

@dadsgt  The only difference is your data speed(and the price.) With only 1gb over 90 days you're hardly streaming HD video. By switching you would be saving $5 p/m  and tripling your data. Also consider the $15 plan. On autopay you would get 250mb of data (or 25% less than on the 90 day) and cutting your bill in half. Add the $5/500min add on to supplement the outgoing calls. This would also allow you to dip into the free holiday add ons while making significant savings on your bill. Change to the $25 if its just not enough data.

dadsgt

Thanks for replies...so I guess I read the plan wrong...it's 1 gb per month?...or 3 gbs for 3 months?..I like the 90 day autopay.

I signed up with public 4 years ago...I'm not sure if I'm getting 4g or not... wouldn't my phone show 3g instead of 4g... doesn't really matter anyway don't use it much...surprisimly 1gd was enough for 3 months.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@dadsgt  I think you answered your own question, but it's up to you..... just weigh the pros & cons, and see which one looks better.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@dadsgt wrote:

For $25 on auto pay you get 1GB/30 days at throttled LTE speeds. For most people 3Mbps is enough for their daily use like checking e-mail, social media, browsing, music streaming and the occasional YouTube video.

Please be aware that

- once you switch from your current plan you are not getting it back

- you should future date/schedule a plan change for your next renewal date since there are no refunds for any unused portions of your current plan

Need Help? Let's chat.