cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S20+ 5g

gbranscombe1963
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have a 5G plan and my phone indicates 4G on Samsung S20+ 5g. I know the phone does 5g because it worked in the US with another e-simm that I used in Florida. I live in a 5g area because my brother has an iPhone and it says 5g on his phone. I can't change the network mode cause it's greyed out but says automatic. Any Ideas? Does anyone know which bands PM works on? The 5g band that it works on are 2, 5, 41, 66, 71, 260, 261 SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave for Model SM-G986U.

5G capabilities5G 2500 (41), 5G 39 (260), 5G 28 (260), 5G 600 (71)

in Canada. 

76 REPLIES 76

@gbranscombe1963 wrote:

Mine is grayed out can't change it. It says auto though. 

@gbranscombe1963 

from your model, it is an AT&T phone.   The CSC code used in the firmware blocks the network type feature.  Unless you install another firmware with a different CSC, I am not sure if you can enable the selection.

Try *#*#4636*#*# on your phone and go to Phone Information, you will see "Set Preferred Network Type: is Unknown.  You could force it to use LTE/WCDMA here but a reboot would change it back.   I think 5G is still not on the list (again, AT&T's firmware locks it)

@gbranscombe1963 wrote:

HI @gbranscombe1963 

try using app to "unlock" it, download  "Samsung Band Selector" or "Hidden Settings" By Common Tools from Google app store

gbranscombe1963

gbranscombe1963

I get connection error when I dial that. 

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

In all honesty you're probably not missing out on much. I have 5G coverage/phone, but I still get better results when I'm in the 4G network with my 5G plan.

Screenshot_20230815-190458.png

Screenshot_20230815-190613.png

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

S20 series only works with B13 anchor band and n66 5G.

You need to check the band info by dialing *#0011#.

mik101

I assume you've already tried switching your preferred network mode? That's usually what the issue is on most Android phones.
https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/change-network-mode/

gbranscombe1963

So do you have to have both the 66 and the 78 for 5g to work or just one of them? I will test out the speed when I am out and about. Yes, I reset the Access point names to default. Still only getting 4G. Speed is still the same also. Yes, my brother is using PM. I can test the sim cards also. 

@gbranscombe1963 

yours has the 66 that PM uses but not 78.  PM can use the 71 as well but not really using it

I think it could be that you won't be able to connect to 5G everywhere

Try your speedtest in other part of the city and see if you get better speed out of it

and did you try Reset All Networks yet?

and your brother, is he using PM? what about you test his sim card on your phone and you test yours on his iPhone ?

gbranscombe1963

No I am in an apartment complex. It doesn't go to 5 g anywhere that I go. Yes Bedford NS 

gbranscombe1963

5g bands for my phone are 2, 5, 41, 66, 71, 260, 261 SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave for Model SM-G986U. So am I to assume that 66 is n66 and should be compatible with PM? 

Thanks 

@gbranscombe1963  Bedford NS ? I’m in sackville  right now .and you’re right that should be 5G coverage all off HRM is from what I can tell . Do you happen to be in a basement by any a chance . I find in the basement where I am now it drops to LTE but upstairs or outside it’s 5G 

gbranscombe1963

I have a 5 g plan and the speed I am getting is about 70 Mbps 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@gbranscombe1963 is yours an AT&T S20?

PM uses n66 and n78 

do you have a 5G plan? If so, even you are on 4G, your data speed would be faster than the capped speed of 100Mbps on 4G plan, so there is really no need to connect to 5G network (4G is more battery friendly)

Download a speedtest ( https://www.speedtest.net/apps )and check your data speed on 4G/LTE network

But if you like, you can also try to click Reset All Networks and see if the Network mode will be available to change as well

gbranscombe1963

Yes I am in 5 g coverage are. My brother has public mobile and gets 5g where I live in Bedford. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@gbranscombe1963  Are you in a 5G coverage area ? Also note that on 5G plan with network set to 4G/LTE you will still get 5G speeds that are better than the 4G speeds of up to 100mb  

Need Help? Let's chat.