cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy A35 5G VoLTE compatibility at PM

vince90cay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I need a new phone that is VoLTE compatible at Public Mobile. I am thinking to buy the Samsung Galaxy A35 5G (Canadian model SM-A356W).

Could someone who uses Samsung Galaxy A35 confirm that VoLTE works on the Public Mobile network?

Thanks for your help

7 REPLIES 7

vince90cay

*** Update ***

I have finally bought the Samsung Galaxy A35 5G (Canadian model SM-A356W). For those interested, it finally supports VoLTE at Public Mobile. When I make a call, the "Mobile voice network type" remains at "LTE" rather than switch to GSM or HSPA. Despite the weak signal as low as 120 dBm, the call quality seems better (no call drops or cuts in the voice), but I'll see with use (I have it since less a day).

Screenshot_20240925_105759_Settings.jpg

vince90cay

In this discussion, a user Jay_III answers that an A35 he bought to his daughter remains on 5G (in parameters) during a call and doesn't switch to HSPA/GSM (https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/New-Phones-that-Support-VoLTE/td-p/120636...).

Edit: I have ordered my A35 5G on Staple in liquidation at 330$ (regular price of 530$) with a 10$ coupon code if you suscribed to their newsletter (and there is a 7x airmiles promo to stack up as well). I will keep you post if it works. If it doesn't work, there is 14 days policy to return it.

@slusagm wrote:

A35 and A50 are VolTE on Koodo or Telus but not PM

If they're VoLTE on Telus and Koodo, I'd suspect it would also be VoLTE on Public Mobile, as the "official" FAQ is often out of date. For example, my old BlackBerry keyONE from 2017 running Android 8.1 VoLTE works with Public Mobile. Telus Mobility VoLTE checker claims it is supported too.

Is there anyone who's actually tried the A35 on Public Mobile to confirm? (and watch for it dropping to 3G/HSPA for a call..)

Edit: I see @vince90cay mentioned his A50 is not doing VoLTE, just 3G/HSPA even though supposedly supported for Telus/Koodo...

A35 and A50 are VolTE on Koodo or Telus but not PM

vince90cay

The reason I ask is that I live in a rural area where Public Mobile's network has deteriorated dramatically since September 6, 2024 to the point where calls repeatedly disconnect after 2-6 minutes or it is impossible to make a call, the voice is cut off and other cannot hear me during 20-30 seconds, calls go directly  to voicemail without the phone ringing, etc. It should be noted that I have been with PM at this address since 2019.

Public Mobile / Telus technical support have recommended that I get a VoLTE device, but they themselves told me that there is no list of these VoLTE devices at Public Mobile (there is 2-3 years old devices list on Ontario's PM website), except for iPhones which are all VoLTE.

This is the reason I wanted to ask those with the Samsung A35 if when making a call, it is indicated in the settings (under Status, Sim Card Status) under Mobile Voice Network Type as LTE rather than HSPA.

BTW, my current Samsung Galaxy A50 in theory supports VoLTE according to Telus (screen capture below), but PM didn't activate it for this device.

There is a June 2024 discussion (https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/New-Phones-that-Support-VoLTE/td-p/120636... that states A35 "works", but it's not clear of it's about VoLTE or not.

Compatibilite_VoLTE_Telus_11-09-2024.png

slusagm
Mayor / Maire

for Samsung, minimum, you have to have A5x series to get VoLTE.  But yes, there is no more new A5x in Canada

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @vince90cay 

sorry, A35 is not on the VoLTE list.  

But what i see is there is nothing wrong to use 3G for voice. Many are still using it

some might scare you that 3G will end at the end of 2025.  This is not true, it will extend

and by the time 3G is gone, I am sure decent phones like Samsung's will be able to use VoLTE at that time

Need Help? Let's chat.