cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS (Text Msg) issues

MDodson65
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

I am encountering a weird issue. My kids both use Public Mobile. When they are at school, they can text me (we all have 902 area code), but they can't text my wife (she still uses her old 604 area code). 

At home, they can send SMS (text msg) without issues.

I need my kids to be able to reach out to us (their parents) any time - so what's the reason for them not being able to send text messages (SMS) to phones with a different area code?

Thanks 🙂

6 REPLIES 6

Android now has a similar option to do texting over data called RCS or "Rich Communication Services". It's enabled/disabled in the messages app under settings "Chat Features" - turn that off.

@MDodson65 check your own phone if this is enabled too.

MDodson65

That does not explain, why they can text me, but not my wife!

I think it might be their "Chat" setting in the messages app ... I'll check later today

MDodson65

To answer all your questions:

- ALL phones are Android phones, quite recent phones, not too old and all are up to date in terms of updates

- I can text my wife and my kids

- I'll check their 'chat' settings in the messenger app once they are back from school

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Can YOU text your wife?

Is your phone the same as your kids' phones?   My guess is you may have an Android, and they all use iPhones? 

Perhaps this is an SMS/iMessage setting specific to iPhone.  If so, it's entirely based on individualized phone settings each user has set.

Alternatively, it may also have something to do respective 'chat' vs 'SMS' settings enabled on differing Android - similar kind of thing.

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@MDodson65 wrote:

Hi all,

I am encountering a weird issue. My kids both use Public Mobile. When they are at school, they can text me (we all have 902 area code), but they can't text my wife (she still uses her old 604 area code). 

At home, they can send SMS (text msg) without issues.

I need my kids to be able to reach out to us (their parents) any time - so what's the reason for them not being able to send text messages (SMS) to phones with a different area code?

Thanks 🙂

It only happens at school? Is iMessage being used? I think that that at school, the phone is using internet to send messages.  Try disabling iMessage on all phones and use SMS instead.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Which phone are they using and app ?

Most iPhone users have iMessage enabled, but may have turned off SMS support.

1. Open the Settings app and go to “Message”
  2. Locate the switch for “Send as SMS” and turn this to the ON position (if send as SMS is already on, try turning it off for about 10 seconds and then turn it back on again)
  3. Return to Messages and try sending the text message again
Need Help? Let's chat.