cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM cards and two-factor authentication. Do I need a backup SIM?

daniel_kol
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Two-factor authentication (2FA) is everywhere: e-mail, banking, mobile services, etc.  With that in mind, would it be prudent to have a backup SIM card lying around in safe storage (i.e. away from your phone) in the eventuality that you lose your phone?

I basically want a clone of my current SIM card so that I can pop it into a new phone and go about my daily business in case my phone is compromised.  I stress about all the red tape I would encounter if I tried to access many online accounts without my SIM.

Is this even feasible?  Or would ordering another SIM card not replicate the 2FA of my current SIM?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@daniel_kol 

Unfortunately you can’t clone your SIM and if you lose your phone. It would be a hassle removing and installing the SIM in your phone.

If you lose your phone (without SIM), you can blacklist the phone.

If you lose your phone (with SIM), click on Lost/Stolen Phone then purchase a new SIM and change SIM Card.

@CGO wrote:

two number for 2FA other than duplicate sim.

Duplicate cost and double opportunity for losing the phone.  Also, not every service allows multiple numbers for 2FA.  

CGO
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

two number for 2FA other than duplicate sim.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@daniel_kol 

You may be overthinking this a little.....if you lose your phone, it's stolen or you have simply lost access to it for awhile (Aunt Betty accidently packed it and it's on a Caribbean Cruise?!!) Having an extra Sim card on hand will allow you to swap out your Sim card and gain control of your phone number used for 2FA verification. (When it comes to pm I keep 2FA disabled and rely on a strong password and an account specific email for security but its still needed for Sim swaps unless you verify thru customer support.)

Public mobile is still adding a bonus Sim card in cart so they are 2 for $10+tax. You won't find them much cheaper than that nowadays.....the back up and a spare for a referral!

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@daniel_kol 

Having a backup sim card is always a great idea to do.  But you can't clone a sim card unfortunately.  Only one phone number and account per sim card is allowed.

Go ahead and get a backup sim card anyway.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

I do not know about cloning SIM. SIM has to be activated so if you have one extra, brand new, you can keep it in the safe place and in case of losing your phone or any kind of malfunction you can always swap SIM at your PM account.

Not a bad idea; try to find the cheapest PM SIM and it will be small investment comparing to potential benefit (no need to wait for weeks on new SIM or scramble to find who sells PM SIM).

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@daniel_kol 

No, you cannot clone sim card.  SIM card has a unique number and the system talk to it via the sim card number

Yes, you have to be very carefully with your phone.  Instead of using SMS, try to use Authenticator app if there is such a choice. Then keep couple backup codes , if the systems allow, just in case.   Authenticator app is the safest one at the moment

Need Help? Let's chat.