cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card and technical support.

LoftyDream
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Once I insert the SIM card, will the phone work on the Public Mobile network or are there other steps?  Is there a guide to follow and if so, where can I find it?  Will it be mailed to me with the SIM card? Is there any technical support for this?  I'm not very tech savvy and as far as I can tell, there is ZERO customer support.  I haven't subscribed to a plan yet, for this reason.  

20 REPLIES 20

hi @LoftyDream 

you don't even need a friend to help you even you don't have a smart phone with access to Public Mobile app

My friend without a smart phone actually can activate without the app before (also confirmed by another Community member today)

you can actually just use the browser to activate.  It will go to the payment step, make the payment

after you made the payment, you will have to message support agent and ask them to complete the rest of the step.  Slightly longer than using the app, but it gets you to the finish line too

After you make the payment , use this link to and open ticket with PM support agent

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@slusagm wrote:

try this link

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

this is message.  I just learned this and love this.  No more bot

Customers need to be using the bot.  Sending a private message in the aboe manner only slows down the response time.  Using the ticketing system isn't optional.

try this link

this is message.  I just learned this and love this.  No more bot

LoftyDream

It was a private message... he sent me another message after I questioned it and he proposed the same thing as eddieO just above... For a person who is not tech savvy, this process is really frustrating... 

LoftyDream

CS_agent... you mean the little orange round circle at the right bottom corner of the page?  I already tried it... it's just another bot.  The only humans are in this community, the rest is all useless.  Very frustrating.  I see others are cancelling due to utter lack of customer service.  I understand PM saves money by running their business this way, and that savings are passed onto consumers.  But so far, it's been a huge time suck for me... and I'm still not pulling the trigger because of this.  You people here, in the forum have been awesome... but I'm still running in circles.  😞

i would get the PM sim card myself from a Telus or Koodo store.  Yes, if you wait, the card is free, if you pickup from stores, it is $10

Some people order from Amazon for only $5

eddieO
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@LoftyDream, I just looked up your phone to see if I could find out what the hurdle would be. It seems that your phone is running on Android but does not have a play store to install apps from. If you have access to a tablet or someone else's phone (like iPhones or Android phones with play store) they could complete the activation process for you and then your phone would work. Alternatively I think if you reach out to the CS_agent they could help you out to get that step done.

LoftyDream

When I complete the registration, there is a note indicating that the amount is 'Due Today.'  Is this new?  At this point I don't know how long it will take for me to receive the SIM and/or how long it will take me to activate.  Hardly seems fair to be charging for a service that isn't activated until at least a few days, depending on how fast they ship/mail and Canada Post, ha!  I haven't hit the trigger yet....

if you have a friend who can help you, then they can activate via the app for you

@LoftyDream 

I don't see the message on this thread.  May I know who sent you the message.  Maybe post a screenshot so we can advise further

LoftyDream

I'm confused now.  Someone sent me this message: "The phone should work fine. But you'll need to use a different phone to activate as that phone is not Android or ios?"

How am I supposed to activate my account if this is the only phone I have?  

LoftyDream

I'm confused now.  Someone sent me this message: "The phone should work fine. But you'll need to use a different phone to activate as that phone is not Android or ios?"

How am I supposed to activate my account if this is the only phone I have?

billing cycle starts when you put in the sim cad number to complete the pprocess

LoftyDream

From the link you sent me will13am:

5- Finish Setup - If you are on the website, download the Public Mobile app to continue setting up your subscription. If you are on the app, continue to select a new number or transfer an existing number and follow the steps on the app to finish.

I assume this is what you mean - that I need to wait until I receive the SIM before I can complete this process.  

At what point does billing start?  The day we complete the process I would assume since we can't use the service until we activate the phone.  Am I right?

eddieO

@LoftyDream glad I could help. When I joined PM I transferred in my old number so I didn't go through the process of selecting a new one but here's some info on how it's done (yes you can choose from a list)

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/change-phone-number

LoftyDream

Thanks eddieO.  That helped a lot.  I purchased my phone in Dec 2021, at around the same time of the post you referred to.  I would assume it still applies to 2024.  

The orange round circle at the right bottom corner of the page is a very useful tip, thanks for that!  The 'need help' option on the subscription page was of no avail, despite several attempts on different days and times.  I hope the chat option here is better.  

Finally, I don't have an old number.  Do you know if we get a choice of phone number from a list of available numbers or are they randomly assigned?  The reason I ask is because I have a poor memory.  😞

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@LoftyDream , this help article describes the subscription process.  If you are ordering a SIM card as part of subscribing, you will complete part of the process now and the remainder will be completed when the SIM card is received.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/subscribing

eddieO

@LoftyDream, I found this older post from 2021: 
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/ZTE-Cymbal-2-phone/td-p/666206
according to this your phone should be compatible.

As for setting up your service, I found that once sign into the Public Mobile app (which must be installed on your phone to complete activation of your account) it pretty much takes you step by step through the process. If you are planning to use your older number from another carrier there's even a step for that. If you happen to get stuck somewhere you can always come by here to the community and ask for help or click on the orange round circle in the bottom right corner to connect with a CS agent

If you are transferring you old number in, be sure to keep the old SIM card in your phone as you should be receiving a text from them confirming you want to transfer your number. You will have 90 minutes to reply Yes. After that you can remove your old SIM and place the PM SIM into your phone and wait for the porting process to complete, normally takes 1 to 2 hours. I usually try calling my cell phone (with the PM SIM installed) from another phone every 15 minutes to see if it rings. When it starts ringing I then test calling out, sending and receiving text messages. If you can do all that then porting has completed and you're good to go.

LoftyDream

That's just it... I am not tech savvy.  Is there a guide to activate our phone manually?

I am trying to subscribe to your 4G service ($15/mo plan) but before I do, I need to know if my phone is compatible with the PN network and SIM card.  PM used to sell it in their store a few years ago but I bought mine 'used' at eBay in December 2021.

Can you please tell me if the ZTE CYMBAL 2 Z2335CA 4GB LTE (purchased a few years ago, network unlocked and compatible with BELL and other Canadian GSM carriers) is compatible with your network? I need to know this BEFORE I subscribe to the 4G plan. I have SPECS below:

IMEI 862639046092294
Network format: LTE Bands: B2/4/5/7/12/13/66 | GSM Bands: 850/1900 | UMTS Bands: B2/5
SIM Card: Slot
 Single SIM
GSM Unlocked

Can someone please advise???

Meow
Mayor / Maire

If account is open and in good standing then inserting SIM should start service right away. No further steps are required.
Your phone should automatically (if that is selected) select PM as provider; if not, do it manually.

Tech support is available through Ticket. It takes some time but agents ALWAYS get in touch with customers (my experience...).

Need Help? Let's chat.