cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Mexico

sunkendisk
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I know Public Mobile does not provide roaming in Mexico. So, what are the alternatives? I need a working phone on arrival at the airport in Mex, so do I pick up another plan here for a couple of months while we are there? Can I buy a burner with Mexico roaming?? Any suggestions? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@sunkendisk 

Download the free voip app TextNow. You select a free Cdn number for others to call you. You can text and talk for free using wifi and there's free wifi all over Mx, you might just have to ask for password.

Alternative...I've purchased a Telcel sim and got a 30 day talk - text plan with 3gb of data for approx $20 Cdn. Take your sim card outta the phone and install the Mx sim. You can call most any Cdn, Mx or US phone number. Also...it works whilst you're in Canada.

For a quick trip of a week or two...stick with the voip app, IMO.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@sunkendisk 

A local SIM would be your best option.

If you have hotel or free wifi, you can use WhatsApp if you and your family have this app. The good thing is that the number will be the same as your PM number.

The other wifi app is TextNow or Fongo but you will need to pick a second phone number on these apps.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@sunkendisk 

check to see if your device is esim capable. if it is you can purchase an esim data plan and use textnow or any other VoIP providers. then forward your PM sim to VoIP number. or look for an esim plan that offers talk/text/data

if it's not esim capable you can take a look at this website 

esim.me

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@sunkendisk go to any oxxo (popular convenience store chain) and they can sell you a cheap plan to meet your needs.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@sunkendisk   Just let your account suspend by disabling autopay and you will get 90 days of suspension to make a payment before the account would deactivate and number lost, so best to make a payment around day 86 of suspension just to be on the safe side.  If you have account balance equivalent to your plan cost, then you need to put your account into Lost/Stolen mode from the Quick Link menu option top right of self serve, but same policy applies regarding the suspension timeline and payment.

You can purchase a local SIM while in Mexico as they have much cheaper data plans anyhow.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@sunkendisk 

yup, no roaming in Mexico 

your option is to get local data sim card there.  Use VoIP app like TextNow ro make and receive call and text on the 10 dogits number you pick with the app

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire
Need Help? Let's chat.