cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Simcard while roaming

echo7
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello

I am currently in the US (roaming) and unfortunately Im having issues with my SIMcard

I plan to purchase a new SIMcard in Toronto and have my relative mail it to me here in the US..

Would publicmobile recoginze/accept if I change the SIMcard while in the US/Roaming connection?

thanks

16 REPLIES 16

@echo7 wrote:

exactly!... that's what Im worried about!..

I will keep using my working sim.. when it fails.. thats the only time I will replace..

I will have my relative in TOR send the new sim by mail .. just in case

thanks

@echo7  make sure your relative get the SIM from local kiosk or Amazon if they have Prime membership.   DO NOT order from PM online.  It might take 3 to 4 weeks for delivery if you order from PM 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@echo7 wrote:

Hello

I am currently in the US (roaming) and unfortunately Im having issues with my SIMcard

I plan to purchase a new SIMcard in Toronto and have my relative mail it to me here in the US..

Would publicmobile recoginze/accept if I change the SIMcard while in the US/Roaming connection?

thanks

@echo7 

So, yes, you can do a sim swap while roaming, you just need to get the SIM card in your possession to be able to use the service.

As of for your error issue, check network operator settings.

• Settings 
  • Connections 
  • Mobile networks 
  • Network operators 
  • Select automatically 
  • OK 
  • Registered on network

Set device network operators as LTE/3G/2G (auto connect) mode.

cbenny13

I feel like this poster might be asking a different question. OP, I don't think it should matter when you change your SIM card!

echo7

exactly!... that's what Im worried about!..

I will keep using my working sim.. when it fails.. thats the only time I will replace..

I will have my relative in TOR send the new sim by mail .. just in case

thanks

@echo7 

BTW....changing your sim card while in the US is kind if YMMV as the moderator said you could try swapping it out yourself in  your account and if it didn't work to contact them to help. So I guess there will be a guinea pig come along eventually to confirm  yes or no. I call it a maybe.....not that it applies in your situation. I would stick with the one you have......FYI Only!😃

Moderators are not busy today....maybe you want to contact them.

Edit: In theory though the mod said it should work....and to manually select your network.

Stay--Safe!

echo7

ok I did the "reset to default" on the APN settings...

I will observe if it happens again

thanks

@echo7  did you try manually connect to TMobile?  some city is better with one network and not the other..

Anonymous
Not applicable

@echo7 

rebooting your phone

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

@echo7 

Changing the SIM card may not necessarily solve this problem.  Just did a quick google search and other users have had similar issues with same message.  Different work arounds.  Seems like mostly users in the United States. If you return to Canada, the issue might just resolve by itself.  

One example:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Refreshing-sim-data/td-p/4721236

echo7

yes.. I did the APN thing, the LTE (instead of Global) and also manually connected to Tmobile but the "refreshing sim data" still appears..

@echo7 

You need to manually choose between at&t and t-mobile.

echo7

Thanks for the quick reply all!

I am having "refreshing simcard data" message.. though no connection issues but this message randomly appears...

I can see my connection switch between ATT and Tmobile

I am afraid that my simcard will fail on my way back to Toronto. I need to be connected to upload my arrivecanada details.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@echo7 wrote:

@echo7 

That is an excellent question. It may need to be in Canada in a phone to connect to pm when first swapped in your account?! I will find out....

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Yes, you can change your sim card.  What are you actually experiencing while roaming?  Did you purchase the roaming add-on? Has it expired?  Have you contacted mods to have them take a look at your account make sure everything looks as it should

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@echo7 

visit Here for more information.

How To Change Your SIM Card

the SIM change functionality has been re-enabled in My Account, now with an additional security step: 2 factor authentication to further protect against SIM card fraud.In order to change the SIM card associated with your account, you must now verify your request through a one-time security code that will be sent via SMS or email.To change your SIM card, please follow the below steps:

1. Log into your My Account
  2. Go to Plan and Add-Ons > Change SIM Card
  3. Enter your new SIM card number
  4. Select where you would like your 6-digit security verification code to be sent to. You can choose to have the code sent to your email, or via SMS to your phone number. If you do not have access to your phone or cannot receive SMS, please select the email option.
  5. Check your email or phone for your security code, and input the code into the page
  6. Click “Verify Code”

Please note: after 5 failed attempts to verify your security code, your account will be locked, and you will need to have your account unlocked and your SIM card manually updated by an agent by submitting a ticket.

1. Once you have verified your code, click “submit” to complete your SIM card change, and you’re all set!

and sorry how you know is issue with your SIM card !! and now your old SIM card is working ?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@echo7 

Customers are able to change their own SIM card these days.  It is a 2 factor authorization when you can choose either text or email authorization.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/SIM-Swap-Fraud-2-factor-authentication/...

Are you sure that it is a SIM card issue?  Sim card don't fail often.  Maybe describe your issues and the community members may be able to help.

Need Help? Let's chat.