Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving and replying on SMS while in Dominican Republic

mwn48gvf
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey community,

Here's the situation:
1. I will be in Dominican Republic for a week
2. I need an ability to receive SMS from canadian numbers onto my current phone number

3. I need an ability to send SMS to canadian numbers

4. I have two Android phones and an iPhone (saying in case there is some workaround available)

Is it achievable at all on Public Mobile? Can I buyPublic Mobile plan add-on or something of that sort to accomplish this?

P.S. Maybe I can leave my SIM card inserted in Android device in Canada, install some app on both of my Android devices that will intercept SMS from the device in Canada, sync it to the device in Dominican Republic and when I reply this app will do reverse actions. I'm not sure if it's a real thing, just thinking out loud.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

mwn48gvf

I believe I will have access to Wi-Fi. However, I'd like to be 100% sure it will work. Is there a way to test it while I'm in Canada? Can I disable device modem and leave Wi-Fi connected (flight mode will shut all wireless communication down and turning off mobile data will leave text/call services available)?

mwn48gvf

Don't need that for financial institution 2FAs and such. I have a business that involves SMS as one of the ways of communication with customers. I made a habit of replying withing a day to customer requests.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

About your P.S., you can indeed use a text forwarding app. Leave the sim in a phone in Canada keeping the battery charged and use an app to forward to a voip app. Have the voip app set up on another phone that you take with you and when you connect to the internet then it will receive those texts. The problem is that for you to reply, it will be a reply from that voip app number. Or the voip needs to have the ability to "fake" any number (yours).

While you're at it, you can forward calls too. But that doesn't actually need the phone on. Just set it up once.

Adding - this problem is exactly what vowifi can solve. Unfortunately, not here.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

I believe OP is wanting to receive SMS from their financial institution and AFAIA Whatsapp won't be able to be utilized for that purpose.

edit:  or perhaps @mwn48gvf  can clarify if the SMS is needed for banking shortcodes or not?

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@mwn48gvf 

Use WhatsApp or TextNow app for free wifi calling and texting as there are no roaming in DR.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@mwn48gvf 

If there's local Wi-Fi, can you use iPhone iMessage service or Android chat?   Those RCS services only require a Wi-Fi connection or data plan to access 'texting' like services.

@mwn48gvf wrote:

Hey community,

Here's the situation:
1. I will be in Dominican Republic for a week
2. I need an ability to receive SMS from canadian numbers onto my current phone number

3. I need an ability to send SMS to canadian numbers

4. I have two Android phones and an iPhone (saying in case there is some workaround available)

Is it achievable at all on Public Mobile? Can I buyPublic Mobile plan add-on or something of that sort to accomplish this?

P.S. Maybe I can leave my SIM card inserted in Android device in Canada, install some app on both of my Android devices that will intercept SMS from the device in Canada, sync it to the device in Dominican Republic and when I reply this app will do reverse actions. I'm not sure if it's a real thing, just thinking out loud.

Thanks

There is no Public Mobile roaming service other than in the US.  Unofrtunatley, you will not receive SMS text messages,  nor will you be able to reply to SMS text messages while you're roaming elsewhere. The idea of using an app to send a copy of the message through the internet is a possiblility, but there aren't any options from Public Mobile to assist with this.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@mwn48gvf sorry, not doable:(

PM does not have roaming in Dominican Republic

your only workaround is to get local data prepaid SIM and use VoIP app TextNow for voice call and text for free

Need Help? Let's chat.