cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: phone number

Amber_Cobbett
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Has anyone else had a problem with receiving phone calls with your phone number? I've had two people now tell me that it says an error like they can't call my number. Drs. Office was one. Number starts with 566 Thanks. 

11 REPLIES 11

I just checked cnac.ca and 506-566-XXXX is indeed listed as "TELUS Mobility 8303 In Service Saint John"

Please note the exact carrier that the other parties are calling from and the error message that they are told. I'm curious what carriers

Some things to try....

• Ensure the number(s) that are trying to call you are not inadvertently blocked on your phone in your calling/messaging app.
  • Along with the already good advice of re-seating your SIM, also test your SIM in another phone if possible.
  • If it's not long distance for the calling trying to reach you, ask if they can try calling Public Mobile's voicemail service number in Moncton (506-588-4001) and see if that connects/answers for them...
  • Have the caller(s) test calling you with their caller ID blocked as well, just to see if the behaviour changes. If they are using a mobile phone, they prefix your number with #31# for this test - ie #31#506566XXXX
  • To ensure you don't have any inadvertent call forwarding options setup, reset call forwarding by dialing these codes:
    • ##21# - undo/reset any unconditional call forwarding
    • ##004# - undo/reset any conditional call forwarding.
  • Sign up for a free account with a VoIP service like textnow.com or Fongo mobile and test calling your number to see if you can reproduce the issue when calling your number from there.
  • Lastly, if you are interested, feel free to private message me your phone number and I"d be happy to test calling your number from a number of carriers I have access to as well. That might help narrow down the issue too.

Amber_Cobbett

Well I had just called my Drs. Office like a week ago. Receptionist told me that she couldn't call my number a few months ago. I didnt think much of it to be honest. Thought maybe she just dialed the wrong number. A couple nights ago a friend of mine tried to call me from his landline. He said it wouldn't work. Who owns a landline anymore right? 😝 jkn. Lol anyway but then called from his cell and it worked. I'll try your suggestions and see if that works. Thanks. Not a new number. 506 is my area code. 566 is first 3 numbers of phone number. Thanks for your help. ✌

Amber_Cobbett

My area code is 506. 

The 566 is my first three numbers of my phone number. Yeah Thanks I'll try a couple suggestions from here first. Then I may have to do that. Much appreciated Thank You!!

Amber_Cobbett

Thank You!! I will. 🙂

Amber_Cobbett

Hi. Yeah it's from Public where I got this phone number. I will try re inserting the sim card. I've been with Public a few yrs now. Just seems strange that most people have no problem calling. Just a few can't. Hopefully the Sim card thing works. Thanks for the reply. 🙂

Amber_Cobbett

Hi. No when I signed up to Public a few yrs ago they gave me this number. Also yeah its the first three after the 506 area code. Most people can call just some can't.  I'll try what someone else suggested about the sim card. Take it out and put it in again. The air plane mode thing too. I did try that before but will again. Thanks. 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Amber_Cobbett wrote:

Has anyone else had a problem with receiving phone calls with your phone number? I've had two people now tell me that it says an error like they can't call my number. Drs. Office was one. Number starts with 566

There is no Canadian area code 566, maybe that's the prefix after the area code?

Regardless - is this a number that was recently ported to Public Mobile from another carrier? It's possible the port failed. If so, check with your old SIM to see if it is still working, and if the previous carrier still considers your account active. Additionally, if you had to call your previous carrier to cancel, the porting should have cancelled it for you and that might be an additional indicator...

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

Check to see if there is an outage in your area.

https://downdetector.ca/status/telus/map/ 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Amber_Cobbett 

Where did you get that area code from? 

Did a quick google search.

https://www.areacodehelp.com/where/area_code_566.shtml

If the problem is widespread and above suggestions not helpful, another option is to change phone numbers via your self service account.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Amber_Cobbett wrote:

Has anyone else had a problem with receiving phone calls with your phone number? I've had two people now tell me that it says an error like they can't call my number. Drs. Office was one. Number starts with 566 Thanks. 

@Amber_Cobbett  - is this new problem that started on an existing (activated for some time now) account?

Try one or more of the below:

*turn off your phone, then reboot

*removing your SIM, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode, then going back to regular mode

*reset network settings on your device

*manually select the 3G / WCDMA ONLY networopping or unable to make incoming/outgoing calls in your Mobile Connections area in your settings (temporarily) to see if this improves services.

If a new activation, how new?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

please ignore 

Need Help? Let's chat.