cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REQUEST TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE PLANS

raghavgururajan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Public Mobile!

FIRST OF, I REQUEST ADMINS TO FORWARD THIS APPEAL TO RESPECTIVE PERSON OR DEPARTMENT. 🙂

I would like to request Public Mobile Management/Adminitration, to make changes to the plans, in a way that provides modularity and thus freedom of choice to users. This uniqueness sets PM even more apart from other service providers.

SUGGESTION #1

Bringing "Build your own plan" back. Users can mix and match according to their needs and use cases; that is; what they want, how much they want and how long they want.

For users to complete building their own plan, they have to choose ATLEAST ONE from each of Text, Call, Data and Duration options.

Text Options: 1) No Texts 2) 50 International Incoming+Outgoing Texts 3) 100 International Incoming+Outgoing Texts 4) 500 International Incoming+Outgoing Texts 5) Unlimited International Incoming+Outgoing Texts.

Call Options: 1) No Call 2) 50 Canada-Wide Incoming+Outgoing Calls 3) 100 Canada-Wide Incoming+Outgoing Calls 4) 500 Canada-Wide Incoming+Outgoing Calls 5) Unlimited Canada-Wide Incoming+Outgoing Calls.

Data Options: 1) No Data 2) 1GB 3) 2GB [...] 9) 8GB.

Duration Options: 1) 30 days 2) 120 days 3) 180 days 4) 360 days

If No Text, No Call and No Data are chosen, users only have to pay a minimal fee for keeping the service active for that Duration option.

Tip = Advertise PM in TTC premises as "Build Your Own Plan".

SUGGESTION #2

New base plans that harness the power of prepaid service (which PM is); that is; users have to pay only for what they use.

1) $10 Unlimited In/Out Text-Only (No Calls, No Data). This can be done by removing Calls and Data from current $15 plan. Call and Data options are to be provided as add-ons for temporary or on-the-go use cases; that is; Y minutes [Y = 50, 100 or 500] and Z GB [Z = 1, 3, 6, or 9].

2) $20 Unlimited Canada-Wide In/Out Call-Only (No Texts, No Data). This can be done by removing Texts and Data from current $25 plan. Text and Data options are to be provided as add-ons for temporary or on-the-go use cases; that is; X texts [X = 50, 100 or 500] and Z GB [1, 3, 6 or 9].

3) $30 1.5GB Data-Only (No Texts, No Calls). This can be done by removing Texts and Calls from current $35 plan. Text and Call options are to be provided as add-ons for temporary or on-the-go use cases; that is; X texts [X = 50, 100 or 500] and Y minutes [Y = 50, 100 or 500].

Add-ons do not expire and any remaining balance gets added to next billing cycle.

Tip = Advertise PM in TTC premises as "Pay ONLY for What You Use".

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

16 REPLIES 16

@raghavgururajan wrote:

Anyway, I did notice "build your own plan" being more expensive than flat plans. I am not sure why it was like that and it never made any sense. I hope this does not happen in future.

There was a time when the Plan Builder offered better plans, largely as a result of data bonuses when signing up to 90 day plans.

raghavgururajan

@Pound 

I get what you are saying. I am not sure whether that anology fits for this situation. But in the same anology, instead of colours, we can consider quantity or duration. For example, when someone require only one car, vendor sells only in set of threes; OR; a car rental service rents car only for 12 months, while someone requires it only for 3 months.

Anyway, I did notice "build your own plan" being more expensive than flat plans. I am not sure why it was like that and it never made any sense. I hope this does not happen in future.

DL888
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks for taking the time to detail this, I know PM is always trying to improve and seek feedback. Let see where this goes.

Pound
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I could be wrong, but I understand too many product varieties create extra cost. Just like auto makers never allow you to choose any color you want but instead they generally provide limited amount of colors for you to choose from. If it is the same case with wireless carriers, - it could well not be but I haven't seen any build your own plan prices that are as competitive as the ready made ones, - I wouldn't want the "build your own plan" back, for any extra cost will have to be borne by end users. 

raghavgururajan

@computergeek541 

You are right. I misassumed the PM service as pay-per-use. However, this does not limit PM to be one. I am open to ideas regarding my suggestions.

@raghavgururajan wrote:

All or nothing makes PM monolithic and stands against the principles of prepaid service (pay per use). The suggestion I offered makes PM modular and also makes PM stand out among other service providers.

I would argue that prepaid service doesn't mean pay-per-use.  Public Mobile doesn't claim that this a pay-per-use service. If someone wants a pay-per-use service, there are carriers/brands that will give you a $0/month "plan", but if they're offering that, there are going to be balance expiry dates that essentially make it so that there are minimum monthly charges.  And, while no prepaid carrier can charge you more than the amount in your account balance, some Public Mobile customers quite enjoy the fact that the balance can't be depleted by accidently using the service too much.

raghavgururajan

@srlawren 

When you meantioned complication, which suggestion (1 or 2) you were referring to? Also, it would be great if you could mention which part of the suggestion looks complicated? So that I can revise and post it. 🙂

raghavgururajan

@cellphoneuser1 

All or nothing makes PM monolithic and stands against the principles of prepaid service (pay per use). The suggestion I offered makes PM modular and also makes PM stand out among other service providers.

@srlawren wrote:

@totalUser wrote:

I believe public is regrouping as we speak and I think big news are coming.

@totalUser out of curiosity, what makes you believe this?

Hi @srlawren 

I was watching things disappear recently and when I looked back in the announcements something similar happened, a bucket full of plans was thrown out and soon after that new ones (better ones too judging by the discussions) were announced. So if history is any indicator we should have more stuff coming by holiday season.

It also makes sense as many signed the obligations for the devices around holiday season (due to promotions from Black Friday till past boxing day) and obligations are about to be settled, so that would be good time to catch them as they could be looking for better deals. I'll be honest I'm surprised there was no more noise at the beginning of August till mid September for back to school

I was also complaining to a moderator about rigidity and lack of choices and I was told stay put something's coming real soon.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@totalUser wrote:

I believe public is regrouping as we speak and I think big news are coming.

@totalUser out of curiosity, what makes you believe this?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@raghavgururajan That sounds confusing. For texts, I say unlimited or nothing. There can be too many options.  Bring back LTE plans and clients will be happy.

@cellphoneuser1 I totally agree that @raghavgururajan is suggestion far too much complication. Personally I think that metered text and minutes should both be a thing of the past in 2019.  Personally I think it should be: 

Talk:

- None

- Unlimited Canada-wide

- Unlimited Canada-wide and to the USA (while you're in Canada)

Texting:

- None

- Unlimited Global (while you're in Canada)

Data:

- Pick your data quantity, independent of speed selection below:

- None 

- 500 MB

- 1 GB

- 2 GB

- 5 GB

- 10 GB

- 15 GB

- Pick your speed (if not "None" for amount), independent of quantity selection above:

- Full-speed (unthrottled)

- Lite-speed (renamed version of the "3G" throttled data currently on offer)

Easy-peasy.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

@raghavgururajan That sounds confusing. For texts, I say unlimited or nothing. There can be too many options.  Bring back LTE plans and clients will be happy.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@wetcoaster wrote:

How often are you traveling out of your / your parents' home province, @Psygineer ? The $5/500 CW minutes (carried over until used up) is fantastic value if on that grandfathered unlimited PW call, and CW minutes are needed occasionally only.

Also, if you and your family reside in the same province and they are calling your cell phone number from their same province  PM cell with PW talk, there is no need for CW minutes. No matter where you are in Canada, for them it's a call included in their PW plan as long as your number is from the same province as theirs.

Edit: Ah, just realized that it's you and that I probably should apologize for anything in the above that could be misinterpreted and I should clarify that not a single word in the above is intended as personal attack. 

I don't travel outside the province that often. It's often in the same province so their plan works fine most of the time, just a few times per year (every other month or so) I have to go either to head office or to one of our more northern locations which are in the territories so them being able to call me would be nice. They do have the $5 add on for those times, and I really like that being an option. Just if its the same price, is Canada Wide and means I don't have to worry about occassinally adding an add on for them it would be handy! I appreciate your suggestion though.

I'm not sure what is meant by that edit! I didn't see anything that is out of place or something that needs appologizing for or as a personal attack. Did you edit the wrong comment? If we had a disagreement in the past, I hold no gruges no need to be shy to respond to my posts. I have not had many disagreements on here, and certainly hope no one holds ill will towards me as I certainly hold no ill will towards them. I am usually just trying to help!

Edit: Ah, I found it. The unlimited data thing. No need to bring that up, it is ancient history. I still would love it if we had unlimited slow data just for the sake of work emails but saving my data for those times I am out of wifi (often) but actually need a connection works too. 

How often are you traveling out of your / your parents' home province, @Psygineer ? The $5/500 CW minutes (carried over until used up) is fantastic value if on that grandfathered unlimited PW call, and CW minutes are needed occasionally only.

Also, if you and your family reside in the same province and they are calling your cell phone number from their same province  PM cell with PW talk, there is no need for CW minutes. No matter where you are in Canada, for them it's a call included in their PW plan as long as your number is from the same province as theirs.

Edit: Ah, just realized that it's you and that I probably should apologize for anything in the above that could be misinterpreted and I should clarify that not a single word in the above is intended as personal attack. 

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

I believe public is regrouping as we speak and I think big news are coming. They'll probably be all dressed up with lots of bells whistles and other decorations before the holiday season. Maybe even around the corner and around Helloween. 60 plan will probably disappear as that was also tagged temporary. Then they'll probably come back in full force. 

Im hoping everything is gonna look even better

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@raghavgururajan wrote:

Hello Public Mobile!

FIRST OF, I REQUEST ADMINS TO FORWARD THIS APPEAL TO RESPECTIVE PERSON OR DEPARTMENT. 🙂

I would like to request Public Mobile Management/Adminitration, to make changes to the plans, in a way that provides modularity and thus freedom of choice to users. This uniqueness sets PM even more apart from other service providers.

SUGGESTION #1

Bringing "Build your own plan" back. Users can mix and match according to their needs and use cases; that is; what they want, how much they want and how long they want.

Text Options: 1) No Texts 2) 50 International Incoming+Outgoing Texts 3) 100 International Incoming+Outgoing Texts 4) 500 International Incoming+Outgoing Texts 5) Unlimited International Incoming+Outgoing Texts.

Call Options: 1) No Call 2) 50 Canada-Wide Incoming+Outgoing Calls 3) 100 Canada-Wide Incoming+Outgoing Calls 4) 500 Canada-Wide Incoming+Outgoing Calls 5) Unlimited Canada-Wide Incoming+Outgoing Calls.

Data Options: 1) No Data 2) 1GB 3) 2GB [...] 9) 8GB.

Duration Options: 1) 30 days 2) 120 days 3) 180 days 4) 360 days

Tip = Advertise PM in TTC premises as "Build Your Own Plan".

SUGGESTION #2

New base plans that harness the power of prepaid service (which PM is); that is; users have to pay only for what they use.

1) $10 Unlimited In/Out Text-Only (No Calls, No Data). This can be done by removing Calls and Data from current $15 plan. Call and Data options are to be provided as add-ons for temporary or on-the-go use cases.

2) $20 Unlimited Canada-Wide In/Out Call-Only (No Texts, No Data). This can be done by removing Texts and Data from current $25 plan. Text and Data options are to be provided as add-ons for temporary or on-the-go use cases.

3) $30 1.5GB Data-Only (No Texts, No Calls). This can be done by removing Texts and Calls from current $35 plan. Text and Call options are to be provided as add-ons for temporary or on-the-go use cases.

Tip = Advertise PM in TTC premises as "Pay ONLY for What You Use".

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

2) $20 Unlimited Canada-Wide In/Out Call-Only (No Texts, No Data). This can be done by removing Texts and Data from current $25 plan. Text and Data options are to be provided as add-ons for temporary or on-the-go use cases.

I've wanted that option for long time for my parents. They are on the Province only version of the same. Canada Wide would be rarely used but would be nice for when I am travelling for work for them to be able to call me properly.

Need Help? Let's chat.