cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS ("Next-Gen") Messaging not working

SmatMan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey there. I'm trying to enable RCS messaging on my Pixel 3a, but it shows this message: Screenshot_20191226-074430.jpg

I can't seem to find any way to enable this. 

Thanks for any help!

12 REPLIES 12

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jesseps  this thread was started 6 months ago.  At the time the info was correct only few devices had RCS and you had to do a workaround to get it.  I am not sure if things have changed or not since then.

jesseps
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@mimmo don't all Android phones have the capability for RCS, it is built into Messages? It is more the carrier that needs to activate it.

srlawren

@mimmo wrote:

@srlawren untill all android phones have the feature.

@mimmo well yes and no.  At that point we have two separate bubble camps, the iMessage Blue Bubble Folks and the Messages RCS-Coloured* Bubble Folks.  Until/unless there's interconnection between those two islands, everyone still has to thunk down to SMS/MMS to communicate with the other island, which is no better than life as it is today.

In terms of all Android phones having the feature...  well first off, just about any can now if you don't mind using Google's "Messages" texting app.  Samsung is working on adding RCS to their app, so that will help too.  But I think that most people on Android that care about rich texting experience have probably already moved on to WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Line, Signal, WeChat, Skype, Hangouts, Slack, Kik, etc. etc. etc.  The problem is that your friends are split amongst these, and that the bulk of your iPhone friends will refuse to use anything but iMessage anyway.  Or, they'll "use" it, but only check <insert your favourite messaging app name here> once a month or something ridiculous like that.  Unfortunately, RCS adds little even for Android-to-Android communicating, as you're probably arleady using a service as good or better.  And until/unless Apple supports it, it does nothing for "eww, you're in the green bubble zone" problem. 

Also, it isn't end-to-end encrypted like iMessage and many of the alternate services I listed above.

Plus, it's about 10 years late to the party.  

Other than all that however, it's awesome!

* yes, I know that RCS isn't a colour.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

@srlawren wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

Honestly it's not sure what all the excitement is about 

@mimmo I've gone on in more details before, but basically RCS for the majority of Android users is useless unless/until Apple adds support to iMessage.    

@srlawren untill all android phones have the feature.

srlawren

@mimmo wrote:

@mimmo I've gone on in more details before, but basically RCS for the majority of Android users is useless unless/until Apple adds support to iMessage.    

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@NDesai wrote:

Key point: 

- A compatible phone (currently next generation messaging is available on Google Pixel, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a and Google Pixel 3a XL)

@NDesai meh, just use the workaround.  Has worked on OnePlus 7, Moto G5 Plus, and Samsung A8 for sure.  Should work on just about any phone if you use Google's Messages app.

Here are the details for RCS: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/next-generation-messaging

Key point: 

- A compatible phone (currently next generation messaging is available on Google Pixel, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a and Google Pixel 3a XL)

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mimmo wrote:

@Ed404  I believe rcs let's lets you know that a message has been delevered and also when it was read as well as when a reply is being typed, but both people need to have rcs.

I regret installing it on our phones because now I lost the excuse "honey I didn't get the milk because I just saw your sms. ":)

Yeah, no one else in my family has RCS enabled yet.

I'm with you on losing the excuse I rather people not know I've read someone because then they'll just text back asking why you didn't respond. Smiley LOL

mimmo

@Ed404 wrote:

@mimmo wrote:

Rcs is not officially supported yet (unless things have changed recently). But there are work around.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/10/28/android-rcs-messages-trick-canada/

I've used this method on my LG G7 ThinQ, LG G5 and LG G4 and Google says my chat features are enabled. It doesn't do anything special, so there's no real rush to enabling it unless you wanna see the green "Connected" message Smiley LOL

@Ed404  I believe rcs let's lets you know that a message has been delevered and also when it was read as well as when a reply is being typed, but both people need to have rcs.

I regret installing it on our phones because now I lost the excuse "honey I didn't get the milk because I just saw your sms. ":)

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mimmo wrote:

Rcs is not officially supported yet (unless things have changed recently). But there are work around.

I've used this method on my LG G7 ThinQ, LG G5 and LG G4 and Google says my chat features are enabled. It doesn't do anything special, so there's no real rush to enabling it unless you wanna see the green "Connected" message Smiley LOL

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@SmatMan  Have you gone to messages app, settings, advanced then chat features, then toggle enable chat features. But it will only work if the service is available.

mimmo

Need Help? Let's chat.