cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for the tech nerds lol - network curiosity

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I'm just curious, does anyone know, when you go into your phone just for kicks and manually search providers, and pick another one not PM, of course you won't get actual working service, but does anyone know if that reception reflects what actual service would be with an active sim for that carrier installed?

Just playing with something as far as signal getting crappier over time for me. 

Also, I know lower tiers throttle, but is there any actual reception difference between say PM and actual telus service? Say if I had an active sim for both, is telus stronger? Not faster, but stronger as a first tier - on a device not capable of 5g? 

🤔

5 REPLIES 5

Pawprints1986

So, just to add a bit of context. This was what I had played with the other night

First I did was set my device to LTE band 12 only

Here's public

Screenshot_20230605-044115_Network Cell Info~01.jpg

Here's bell

Screenshot_20230605-044220_Network Cell Info~01.jpg

But then here's Rogers... 🤔

Screenshot_20230605-044253_Network Cell Info~01.jpg

For tonight I just snagged these 3 quickly, I haven't explored all of Rogers bands yet but it's still interesting. Still in the same physical barriers, ground floor walk up next to another walkup 🤔

I'm happy with public, built up 3 years loyalty and 2 autopsy means saving $5 per month, new system frustration aside, except for the reception slowly growing worse. I wish I could know if there were any tower plans/upgrade near me? I know switching from a 3g plan won't increase signal strength... I'd hate to experiment with switching carriers for the signal and it's not that much better, and I lose my loyalty and legacy rewards, that would stink huge! 

But anyway, yeah just kinda adding more to why I was asking... Cuz there seems a visible difference 🤔

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

There's no reception difference between Telus, Bell, Koodo, Virgin, PM, Lucky, unless you're in Winnipeg or Brandon, in which case the Telus brands will have different coverage than the Bell brands.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 I did try it before when I was in Boston. I manually to connect to AT & T, etc. "SOS" showed on screen.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Pawprints1986 i think you are asking "can i see strength signal of other providers using a different provider sim card on my phone device ?". I believe your answer is No, not with the SIM card alone. But you can get apps on your mobile device to check reception / speeds of providers towers/networks near you, that I believe you are looking for.

I had one installed last year, but ended up uninstalling it as I wasn't using it. Search in the app store something like 'signal strength".

XionBunny

The signal on this network is all the same regardless of the brand, but I have had better reception in this area with freedom mobile when I was on them, and kind of awful reception with Rogers when I tried them, the Bell/Telus network is somewhere in the middle in this area.

Need Help? Let's chat.