cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile service ending???

Scribe_555
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I convinced a friend to change his cellphone service to Public Mobile and he was told by the Telus Office in his area that Public Mobile would be ending in June next year,

Is this correct?

7 REPLIES 7

WillyWanka

I think Shaespeare's Macbeth said it most aptly, "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".

I think it extremely unlikely that Telus would shut the door on Public Mobile on such short notice without bothering to give the public any notice.  June 2025 is just nine short months away.  Even an expectant mother gives family, friends, and acquaintances at least eight months notice of her baby's pending arrival.

@Scribe_555 wrote:

I don't recall anywhere where it was mentioned that he he wished to pay more money on another service.

I think what Chalupa meant was that if new customer didn't want to risk a new acct with PM due to rumours, then he could go elsewhere and likely pay more for similar service.

Scribe_555

I don't recall anywhere where it was mentioned that he he wished to pay more money on another service.

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Scribe_555 

I do not think PM will close down for the following reasons:

- they need to compete with Chatr and Lucky mobile, they just created an app recently; they just revamped their rewards/points system, they have invested in their web interface; they are actively changing plans offered, they have been creating ads on Facebook and YouTube.

For a company that is going to close next June it would make no sense to continue investing in the company with the examples above. I say PM will continue.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @Scribe_555 

Sadly this is the problem with gossip and rumours. Also, you have to realize that a lot of salespeople are unscrupulous and will tell you anything to go on a different network that they represent or sell to make a sales profit or meet their goals. This is a fact and reality. This is why you come directly to the source and find out.

Also, even if it was closing at the end of June next year, he'd be saving a ton of money till then by coming to PM and if it's true, which I doubt, THEN he can port out to another service.  But hey, if he wishes to pay more money on another service, I guess that's up to him. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Scribe_555 

That has been reported in the past as well.  Service reps at Telus and Koodo corporate stores sometimes will mention this to prospective new customers.  These reps usually get commission by selling Telus or Koodo plans, not selling PM SIM card to new customers.  

I really doubt that Public mobile will shut down in the near future.  PM management is hard at work trying to attract new customers.  Offering 5G plans, new PM app, VoLTE services, etc. 

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

We don't know, but I doubt it. I've heard similar stuff stated before and it hasn't happened.

For example, I was told that a mobile store manager said PM was going to get shut down around June 2023 but what happened instead was lots of upgrades such as 5G and a website redesign.

Need Help? Let's chat.