cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile raising rate(s?)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got an email saying my rate will be going up the end of April from $10 to $13.

15 REPLIES 15

@walker1 wrote:

They don't coordinate that sort of thing. That's price manipulation of the market.

They just follow each other after the first one, makes the first move. That's competition.

Competition?  I hope you saying that because you just  like to reply my posts, which you always do , and you don't believe your lie yourself.

You heard of  Robelus?  Oligopoly?

@popping wrote:

PM changed their rewards system in order to improve their bottom line.

After the dust settled with the new points rewards system, not many subscribers were switching to the new points system.  This may be the second phrase to make the grandfathered $10 plan more profitable.  Even with the $3 increase, we cannot find anything cheaper with other 3rd tier providers.  Paying $5/cycle after 5 years with PM + autopay.  

If Public Mobile didn't like how people on $10 plans could automatically have their price reduced to $3 after 5 years and if the change to the points system was motivated by that fact, does this price increase mean that Public Mobile could consider abandoning this points stuff that almost no current customers seem to like?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dabr wrote:

@popping   True enough, it's still cheaper than alternatives but still disappointing move..

Yes, I don't like the increase.  My mother had not used a single minutes since COVID19 as she stop going out by herself.  If she switches Speakout, she will be paying SO monthly fee $1.25/m to keep her phone number.  Something for the senior subscribers to consider.

I hope no one here thought it was $10/month  for Life  😂

@popping   True enough, it's still cheaper than alternatives but still disappointing move..

Edit:  BTW, it'll be $6/cycle after the increase as $3 is wiped away with the increase.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

PM changed their rewards system in order to improve their bottom line.

After the dust settled with the new points rewards system, not many subscribers were switching to the new points system.  This may be the second phrase to make the grandfathered $10 plan more profitable.  Even with the $3 increase, we cannot find anything cheaper with other 3rd tier providers.  Paying $5/cycle after 5 years with PM + autopay.  

@walker1 wrote:

They don't coordinate that sort of thing.

Do you Really think CEOs or whoever do not get together in some hidden bar and discuss how to 'increase shareholder's value'?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

According to the ToS a price increase only needs to be posted on the Plans page for 30 days to take effect.  At least they have emailed the people on this plan this time to announce the price increase.  I hope this isn't a sign of an overall increase.  After their attempt to raise the price of the 2016 Fall Promo after it was stated the price would never increase, I am sure they have been very cautious to never say that again.  As others have stated this seems like a way to eliminate that $10 plan.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

PublicMobile21
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

+1

This is garbage. PM lures in users with the low cost plan & loyalty rewards then discontinues both & declares war on the grandfathered users by wiping out my 3 years of loyalty $3 discount with a $3 price increase.

Absolute garbage tactics & an untrustworthy carrier who's rewards program isn't worth anything because once you accrue any they make sure to nullify it with price increases. Ought to be illegal.

They don't coordinate that sort of thing. That's price manipulation of the market.

They just follow each other after the first one, makes the first move. That's competition.

I am not surprise the Storm is coming.  Maybe they just want to start with $10 plan for now.  Then in couple months, they will increase the rest of the plans. Or they are already talking to Lucky and Chatr and make sure everyone get the price increase "coordinated" 

Anonymous
Not applicable

iirc the Terms say something about they can change anything they want, any time they want. If you renew the price change then you've agreed to the new price. This was an uproar back with the famous 2016 price change. We all object to price increases of course. It'll be interesting to see if it's just the old $10 plan.

Edit: to change up to the $15 plan would also mean losing full 4G LTE on data. Would that be important enough for the $2 difference to get unlimited texting and of course more minutes? I guess we'll see.

@missorange wrote:

yes, same here, $15 plan is much better than $10, after we switch to $15, maybe get email to increase the $15 plan too..

I agree, with the $2 difference,  it is much better to go with $15.  I guess this is PM way of "getting rid" of people on the $10 plan

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

yes, same here, $15 plan is much better than $10, after we switch to $15, maybe get email to increase the $15 plan too..

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Let's hope just the $10 plan.  

I have other plans, so far no email, and don't want one   🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.