cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile and recording phone calls.

rogerrulez
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Okay so, I'm going to try not to make this a long wording of my issue but I just bought the new Nothing phone 1. And the call record feature is not there. It is in India though where it is totally legal. With that being said Canada's laws clearly dictate that recording phone calls is a one party consent. Meaning that, if I call someone and record that conversation, then that is the legal consent.
After speaking with the Nothing team they are going to look into the matter. However there is one concern. Alot of this issue has to do as to what sim card is inserted into the phone. So with that being said,

Why has Public Mobile not enabled this feature on their sim cards ?

5 REPLIES 5

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@rogerrulez  Review: https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-record-a-phone-call-on-your-iphone-or-android-device

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

My phone has an India firmware on it. The record a call feature is there. I tried recording 611 and it worked.

The recording laws in Canada seem quite lax. One party of the call. Seems to me one can surreptitiously record calls all you want because you are one of the parties of the call. But I'm not a lawyer.

rogerrulez
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I thank you both for reaching out. I do believe what you are telling me. I even contacted Telus and they are telling me laws that refer to the US and not Canada. And that's not cool.I'll email back Nothing support now and I will kepp you up to date.

Thank you !

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Recording phone calls are either feature of particular phone (app bundled with OS) or you have to get 3rd party app to to do that.

It has nothing to do with service provided by PM.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@rogerrulez   from what I understand the feature about recroding is not enabled by the sim or the provider, it is s phone app settings.  PM and carriers just use the sim to enable the communication, not the features on the phone.

Some carriers did lock down and enable app and features if the phone is sold by them , but in this case, Nothing Phone is not sold by Telus, hence, the features and apps has nothing to do with PM 

Need Help? Let's chat.