cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile LTE speed test

chrstyles
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I did a quick speed test yesterday, here's a screenshot for anyone interested. Location is Scarborough/Toronto, 8:30pm, 2 bars, outside. Approximately 1km away from cell site.

http://m.imgur.com/LFTEWlN
http://m.imgur.com/Fy0ySUY
44 REPLIES 44

zoomzoom87
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Exactly, it's all about the ping anyway. 5-10 Mbps and ping under 20ms is more than enough for mobile use,I'm happy paying $25/month for 4gb lte.

Garry
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Here's my experence on this topic. (LG G5 on Fall promo plan)

1. Typically at my house in Beaverton Ont I get about 5mb/s up and 2 down.

2. At Port Perry one day, I checked it, and got 35mb/s up. (Don't remember down speed) so I did the latest lollipop or whatever update.

3. The other day at Kawartha Raceway in Peterborough I started speedtest and WHOA>>>> Over 65mp/s up and I promptly exited the program to not waste data. (I need it for an upcoming hospital stay)

anyways.......I'm convinced location/reception plays a major role in the data speeds. You could sum it up as PM speed is YMMV.

For me it works.................the price is right (for now). 🙂

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Thanks for sharing.

a3cel2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Screenshot_20170806-100115.png

This is on LTE+, regular LTE was 46/15

username

Here's another comparison:

Speed.png

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Capture+_2016-11-27-00-35-11.png

Random speed test  

julianlkh

Only getting 4G

DL- 12.49

UL- 0.98

username

@imm1304 wrote:

@username, the latest speedtest results look good.  Not LTE+ but very good LTE connection.  I wouldn't worry too much about the LTE+ because it may be device specific or deployed in limited area that you may not be frequenting at the moment.  

Keep in mind that you are using up a fair chunk of your data allowance with each speedtest.  

My phone is LTE+ compatible, but yeah, there's possibly no 'plus' coverage where I've been. I haven't tried too many different locations since joining PM. I'll keep an eye out for it, though.

Yeah, about 65 MB on that test alone. It can definitely add up. I'm keeping it in check—haha.

imm1304

@username, the latest speedtest results look good.  Not LTE+ but very good LTE connection.  I wouldn't worry too much about the LTE+ because it may be device specific or deployed in limited area that you may not be frequenting at the moment.  

Keep in mind that you are using up a fair chunk of your data allowance with each speedtest.  

username

Latest speedtest result

photo371127205380600748.jpg

username

Anyone from Edmonton see LTE+? If so, where?

NoWon
I get LTE+ in downtown Calgary and speeds of 50 down and 30 up. Quit a bit better than just outside the city at the house

username

@b777 wrote:

Speed test done at creekside crossing plaza in Mississauga. Fairly close to the tower with signal showing -72 dbm

https://s11.postimg.org/y097nf8r7/20161122_160720.png

Wow, that's great! I haven't achieved anything like that in Edmonton. Also haven't seen LTE+ here.

ajanda
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Location is Etobicoke, Ontario. Around 5pm. Main floor of the house. Signal showing about -102 dBM

speed test public.jpg

b777

Speed test done at creekside crossing plaza in Mississauga. Fairly close to the tower with signal showing -72 dbm

https://s11.postimg.org/y097nf8r7/20161122_160720.png

username

@imm1304

I'm using a Nexus 6p.

I just went to a few other locations throughout the city, and the speeds were much better.

About 13~30 down, and 2~9 up. Not that great, but definitely better.

Perhaps I just live in a dead zone.

While out and about, I also tested PM compared with Rogers and Telus.

Despite PM using the same network as Telus, the download speeds didn't come close. I also tested swapping SIMs between the phones to ensure it wasn't an issue with the phone itself. All tests were performed in the same location at the same time (spread out over several hours).

My results were as follows:

Comparison

echi29

Just ported over from Rogers. I see that my reception isn't as high as before, but excited nonetheless.

majumani

I ported from Fido, on Fido I used to get 33down and 29up. On PM I am getting average between 29 to 41 depends on location and I never got LTE+

ulovebass
11 yrs with telus , 2 mth with Koodo, and I switched to PM. so I recently using 3 carriers with same phone in 3 month.
I don't know why but my reception and data speed is PM> koodo > telus.
maybe better upgrade version of sim card?
or am I happy with better plan so I feel like it better? 🙂

vinions

I got 41 up and 29 down.  It's pretty consistent while when I was with rogers I can top out higher (as high as 70) but the speed test results had a huge range.  

Occasionally i'm connected to LTE+. Anyone know what that is?  Didn't have that while with Rogers.  

NoWon

iphone go to settings and Cellular,

Cellur Data should be on, 

- Cellur Data Options and enable LTE

- Cellular Data network should also be APN isp.mb.com I believe, mine was set automatic

- I then enabled airplane mode to turn off the cel radios and then disabled airplane to turn the the radios back on

fixed my low speed issue

I get aprox. 29 Mbps down and 9 Mpbs up near Calgary

jgorman
Is there anything to check on iPhone. I'm on lte and only getting 8-10 Mbps. Since last week when I signed up

imm1304

Hi @username, the speeds you are getting look like slower 3G speeds.  

Everyone I know on PM has proper LTE speeds varying usually between 20 to 75 Mbps down.  

Which phone model are you using?  We can check if your phone is connecting to the correct LTE bands.  If its a Samsung, several users have said that customizing it for Telus was needed .. which is a pretty simple process but you will lose all personal data from the internal memory on your phone.  So back up first if this is the case.  

username

@theoc198

Yep, says LTE at the top. It's gone to H a few times, but I always made sure it was on LTE when I ran the tests. Also confirmed the data network type was LTE using *#*#4636#*#* > phone info

I did indeed just port my number over this morning. I've rebooted a few times since then.

theoc198

@username Are you sure you're on LTE? Does it say LTE on the screen when you are doing these speedtests? Those speeds seem like 3G.

Also did you just port? I found the connection a little unstable for the first few hours after porting. Have you rebooted the phone since you've ported to Public Mobile? If not you should reboot it. 

akpo

iPhone user here from Scarborough, I get about 45mb/s download and 5mb/s upload, a lot faster than my Rogers LTE plan where I would usually have 4G/3G in my house.  Right now I have LTE and 4G in my house with PM.  Coverage seems better (sometimes I'd be driving or picked up a coffee/snack and Google Maps would not connect to data with Rogers).

Rogers upload speeds seems to be faster for me, but I currently download more than I upload, so PM is definitely better for me.

username

@eyunie

I'm getting similar speeds in Edmonton.

1~6 down, 0.5 up.

Using correct APN settings, and it's on LTE.

Popped a Rogers SIM in my phone and got 50Mbps. Put my PM SIM in another phone and still got ~6 down and less than 1 Mbps up (sometimes higher, but rarely above 1 or 2).

Going to test in a few other areas around the city... This is really disappointing so far.

imm1304

@eyunie, you will get much faster speeds once you connect to the LTE network.

Do a manual search for networks from network settings and see if you can connect manually to the Public Mobile LTE network.  

Go to Phone and dial *#*#4636#*#* and choose Phone information. Set the Preferred Network Type to LTE/GSM auto (PRL). Turn off the radio and turn it on again. Go to the SMSC and click Refresh>> Update.

eyunie

Before when I was on Rogers, I was always on LTE network.. Now it only goes to 4G for PM. I try to see if there are other network type to choose from. there is 4G, 3G or 2G. 

I checked the I am connect to sp.mb.com.

Anyone using andriod have similar data speed as mine?

imm1304

Just verify that in mobile network settings, the preferred network type is lte/wcdma/gsm auto

You can also try manual network serach and select Public Mobile LTE.  See if it locks to the LTE network.  

Quick question:  Your phone normally says 4g/H+/H  or LTE/4G/3G in the status bar?  Just trying to determine if you have LTE connection or not.  

Need Help? Let's chat.