cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile LTE speed test

chrstyles
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I did a quick speed test yesterday, here's a screenshot for anyone interested. Location is Scarborough/Toronto, 8:30pm, 2 bars, outside. Approximately 1km away from cell site.

http://m.imgur.com/LFTEWlN
http://m.imgur.com/Fy0ySUY
44 REPLIES 44

jeremyesq
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
@eyunie, were you inside a building when you did your test? From my condo balcony (in Scarborough) I got 38.2 down and 24.5 up

eyunie
I am using one plus one. And it's on 4G network.

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @eyunie, that is very slow for public mobile.  

Can you verify that you have the LTE selected in the preferred network type if using Android, or enable the LTE from settings in iOS?  

Which phone are you using?

eyunie

I am a little disappointed that my speed test show 4.82 down and 0.35 Upload. Whyyyyyy is everyone else so much faster than mine. I am in Scarborough right now, should not be this slow.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I just did the speedtest and got 42.65 down and 14.93 up on the west coast.

Telus seems not to cripple it's sub brands anywhere near the level Bell/Rogers do

srlawren

@pmobile no, @Luddite is in Canada.  He was using the UK as an example.

And no, I've seen zero mention of PM customers getting throttled vs. Koodo or Telus customers.  I don't believe there is any.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

chrstyles

I think that the service is definitely reliable and that's the main point. There probably isn't much difference between PM and Telus' other flanker brands, maybe just the overall bandwidth usage but not the speed. A good thing is that customers get to utilize the resources of two radio networks combined that are both generally pretty reliable. The only thing Rogers for example boasts is higher pricing and faster LTE downloads (they choose to sacrifice uploads for higher download bandwidth), where Bell and Telus are better known for balancing the both and providing a more consistent connection. What I noticed in switching from Rogers to PM is that even though Rogers has more spectrum, the Telus/PM LTE coverage is actually better in many places and the speeds are very nice and reliable. In fact Rogers is known for advertising a "faster" network but in reality these are just burstable speeds, which convince the consumer to pay more. That's my view.

pmobile
I had Koodo recently but never at the same time to do a side by side comparison with Public Mobile but from what I remember they both seem to be at the same fast speed. Not sure if reception bars are any indicator of speed but I did get full LTE bars on both at my home.

imm1304

Not aware of any caps.  I could not tell the difference when watching full HD videos on the same phones side by side... one with Telus and one with PM in my home.  PM seems to keep up with Telus at least for me and the people around me.  

spoolinx86

Pretty good results. I don't know far I'm away from the cell tower but I'm getting 22.04mbps DOWN and 20.61mbps UP and a ping of 31 in Markham, ON. 

Pretty solid I think, more than I need on a cell phone. 🙂

pmobile
Just curious, does that mean you are in the UK and not a PM customer??

If there is a cap, it would likely only activate when a tower is overloaded. That is the system in the UK at any rate.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

pmobile
Do you know if speeds are identical to Koodo and Telus? Just wondering if there is any cap at all on a sub brand.

Thanks!
Need Help? Let's chat.