cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile 10GB plan price match

Polskimon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

Does Public Mobile match the 10GB data plan offered by the other carriers, it seems like a spectacular deal!

Thanks,

19 REPLIES 19

KamWest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Starts with an R and ends with an s

I never realized that texts outside of Canada would be .45 each

When you send 20-30 per month it adds up. Most of the other incumbants had text anywhere included. Rogers just had to try and milk a few more cents from me. 

phillip2446

who dinged you 45 cents per text?

KamWest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I was shocked to see $5 for texts to the States, they were .45 cents each.

I never use 10gb and am paying 60 bucks unlimited voice and text and got dinged with .45 per text!!

I walked, I'm done with them, they nickel and dime you to the end.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I have to agree with you loyalty to teh wallet first.

If i found a smoakin deal then i would jump on it.   I only mentioned the koodo/telus thing because it seems people think by switching to koodo or telus they are  hurting PM but they are infact helping Telus in the grand scheme as you are now postpaid (which they like) and probably giving telus more money than when you were with PM.

SF2278

@mimmo Sadly I returned to Rogers, however, it was for good reason.  The only service of mine that they had was my internet service.  I got on the phone with them and leveraged the new cellular plan and forced their hand into giving me a much better internet package at a heavily discounted price at the same time.  In essence, I double dipped on my savings with them and forced their hand in terms of giving me the best possible deal on the market for both products.

I am a free agent for cellular service and I have zero brand loyalty when it comes to cellular so long as I know the network is good.  If Koodo offered a smokin hot deal tomorrow that beat Rogers, I would be there.  The way I see it, I don't owe these carriers anything given the years in which they took me to the cleaners for data service.

mimmo

@SF2278  Glad you found a plan that suits your needs better. 

Which provider did you choose?  If you stayed in the family (telus or koodo) telus is happy as they are still getting your money, and PM is doing its job of being a feeder brand into its telus or koodo.

SF2278

I am sad to say that I am leaving PM.  I do not rely on Hardware mortgages as I always buy my phones outright.  Further to that, I simply find it foolish to turn down a cost of $6 per gig when I am currently paying somewhere in the neighbourhood of $11-$12 a gig with PM.  I do not burn through 10 gigs of data a month at the moment, but if the recent Bitcoin mania is any indicator, it is sometimes wise to strike while the iron is hot and prices are rock bottom.  Some will say it is dumb to hoard data or tech but I disagree.  Our dependence on tech and the ever expanding glut of data sucking services has taught us that you can never have enough data, especially when you are getting it heavily discounted.

I fully understand that PM is not in the market to service data gluttons, but I also find it shortsighted and somewhat foolish, to not react and offer some sort of promotion.  It's a real shame because its the Community that really makes PM special, its too bad that Cellular is very cost driven, and PM is unwilling or unable to enter the arena.

Maybe one day I will come back, but unless a deal comparable to my new 10 gig for $60 deal comes around, I wont be back anytime soon.

Polskimon

@will13am wrote:

@Wonder_why wrote:

All Big 3 price wars end already, you didn't dive in, then you missed the boats

I am still here, what boat did I miss?  TBH, a lot of us were fortunate enough to get the 2016 fall promo which offers a pretty descent data bucket.  Unless you are a really heavy user, why pay an extra $22 for data that may not be needed.  I have seen many suggesting that future proofing is important.  I sort of look at this stuff like tech.  Never hoard tech. 

BTW, I predict that there will be an exodus from the $60 plan when people fully internalized the fact that the plans are BYOD.  A lot of people rely on hardware mortgages. 

I'm sure the people who are jumping on the 10gb offer are completely aware it's BYOD, it's not like it would be a surprise...

Polskimon

@mimmo wrote:

Public mobile is a 3rd their provider and competes with lucky and chatr.  I am sure if one of those companies has a promo pm will be right on top of it.  But now that all three parents have equality in the 3 segments I believe we will only see promotions if freedom does something And the 10gb promo is a result of freedom competing.

If the plan someone has does not suit them or there is something better then switch. As @will13am says loyalty to the wallet first.

Koodo is matching it and they're a reseller as well.

@will13am wrote:

@Wonder_why wrote:

BTW, I predict that there will be an exodus from the $60 plan when people fully internalized the fact that the plans are BYOD.  A lot of people rely on hardware mortgages. 

I spoke to 2 peole who people who were existing customers to carriers offering the $60 plans, and can say that in one case (Bell), my friend was forced to pay off the contract tab to get the $60 plan.  But in the case of Rogers, the contracts/tabs were still available with this plan, at least for existing customers.

@Wonder_why wrote:

I am still here, what boat did I miss?  TBH, a lot of us were fortunate enough to get the 2016 fall promo which offers a pretty descent data bucket.  Unless you are a really heavy user, why pay an extra $22 for data that may not be needed.  I have seen many suggesting that future proofing is important.  I sort of look at this stuff like tech.  Never hoard tech. 

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

mimmo

Public mobile is a 3rd their provider and competes with lucky and chatr.  I am sure if one of those companies has a promo pm will be right on top of it.  But now that all three parents have equality in the 3 segments I believe we will only see promotions if freedom does something And the 10gb promo is a result of freedom competing.

If the plan someone has does not suit them or there is something better then switch. As @will13am says loyalty to the wallet first.

Polskimon

@NDesai wrote:

PM is not matching that deal, period. 

Well, I suppose the parent company Telus is. I was just hoping to stay with PM, they've been good to me!

PM is not matching that deal, period. 

Polskimon

All the other carriers are matching eachother, I would say this is very much an account related question.

@zoomzoom87 wrote:

you may have to message the mods:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...

The moderator team's responsibilities are to help customers solve account related issues.  They do not speculate on promotions.  If there are any, they will show up on this website. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Polskimon, no there does not appear to be any movement afoot to match or offer anything at the moment.  If you care to look through some of the recent community forum threads, you will find that you are not the only one lamenting about the lack of competition here.  That should not stop you from shopping around.  No one carrier always has the best deals. 

Need Help? Let's chat.