cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with voice calls and texts perhaps because of VOLTE incompatibility ?

Tsawwassen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My friend referral continuous not being able to make or receive voice calls and also texts. However his PM data works and he now relies on communicating by iMessage. Wondering that perhaps the problem may be that his older iPhone 8 may be  outdated and no longer compatible .  He has signed up on the basic $15 3g plan.

18 REPLIES 18

All plans here are using the LTE network by default. The confusing 3G branding is about speed, not network.

We can opt to use HSPA (3G) for data and perhaps even see faster throughput but almost all phones these days would be waiting on LTE when not using data or in a call.

Tsawwassen

Yes  ... when on a 3G plan it's best to select 3G as opposed to LTE.  Also in my experience SMS texting seem to be delayed. 

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@BEER wrote:

Not early iPhone 8. 

My iPhone 8 Plus is A1897. 

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Beer , did you have setting for #4 on your iPhone? Mine doesn’t! iPhone 14 Pro. I saw a few that do not have the option to toggle on VoLTE due to the toggle is not there with Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile!

My old late model 8 also does not have the Volte setting but it seems to work fine.

BEER

Not early iPhone 8. 

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Not really related, but I just upgraded to a pixel 7 and volte is working beautifully.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@Tsawwassen wrote:

My friend referral continuous not being able to make or receive voice calls and also texts. However his PM data works and he now relies on communicating by iMessage. Wondering that perhaps the problem may be that his older iPhone 8 may be  outdated and no longer compatible .  He has signed up on the basic $15 3g plan.

iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus is compatible with VoLTE. 

@BEER yes , not all phones are VoLTE compatible at the moment.  I don't think anyone with any luck with iPhone 7 or older.  We will see if  PM will expand the list soon  🙂

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@Tsawwassen wrote:

@Tsawwassen , I thought iPhone 8 was compatible but I may have read it wrong! Sorry

VoLTE is activated on my account & I still have issues with signal dropping down to 1 bar on LTE causing calls not to come through, dropped calls or not being able to call out! I have to either reboot my iPhone several times a day, reset network settings or turn on airplane mode & off to get signal again! I have had a few support tickets about this including them getting a Telus tier 2 Tech Support to contact me for troubleshooting! Along with it being blamed on my iPhone 14 Pro iPhone which Apple Tech Support has run a diagnostics on it & found nothing wrong say it has to be an issue on the Carriers side with signal! So, I have absolutely no clue! Nope, I’m no help whatsoever! Sorry 😥

Edit: Mine works better on 3G for some odd reason!

Oh shoot I've been waiting for my mom to be upgraded to VoLTE but according to this her iPhone 7 isn't compatible anyway 😔

BEER

Perhaps Public Mobile should add a Caveat to their new account plans.

@BEER wrote:

To use VoLTE on your iPhone, the following is required:

1. You must have an iPhone 8 or newer (The following iPhone models are not VoLTE compatible: iPhone 8 A1863, iPhone 8 Plus A1864, iPhone X A1865)
  2. Your iPhone should be using iOS 13.x. or newer
  3. Enable LTE by opening Settings, selecting Mobile Data, and then choosing the enable LTEoption
  4. Turn on VoLTE, by selecting Mobile DataVoice & Data and toggle VoLTE to on
  5. Once you have completed the steps above, run a power cycle on your iPhone

@BEER , did you have setting for #4 on your iPhone? Mine doesn’t! iPhone 14 Pro. I saw a few that do not have the option to toggle on VoLTE due to the toggle is not there with Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile!

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@BEER 

The latest iOS is 16.4.1(a).

Hopefully iOS 17 will support iPhone 8 & X. Days are numbered for updates for these iPhones.

BEER

To use VoLTE on your iPhone, the following is required:

1. You must have an iPhone 8 or newer (The following iPhone models are not VoLTE compatible: iPhone 8 A1863, iPhone 8 Plus A1864, iPhone X A1865)
  2. Your iPhone should be using iOS 13.x. or newer
  3. Enable LTE by opening Settings, selecting Mobile Data, and then choosing the enable LTEoption
  4. Turn on VoLTE, by selecting Mobile DataVoice & Data and toggle VoLTE to on
  5. Once you have completed the steps above, run a power cycle on your iPhone

It's kind of an unmentioned part of referring friends and family and acquaintances. You become the support person because you get a benefit of them being here. So, wouldn't you want the benefit to continue?

@Tsawwassen if it is a new account, may I know what phone he is using?? maybe an incompatible phone??

explain to him it is normal to work with support when account first opened.  He could be doing the same when he moves to another provider to deal with setup issue 

Tsawwassen

@softech wrote:

@Tsawwassen does it work if he change the Preferred network type or network mode to 3G only?

but it is true some customers got voice issue since the enabling of VoLTE. In such case, it needs PM support to get involved and refresh the account on the system. Please have your friend to open ticket with support 

This is a new, less than 2 week account. Why would it need to be refreshed? Also unfortunately he can't be bothered to go through the hassle of opening a ticket. He advised that he will just let his PM account die by not renewing it.He will port back to his old Bell account that now has offered him a better  deal than he previously had. He is not upset and tells me that it all worked out for the better.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Tsawwassen does it work if he change the Preferred network type or network mode to 3G only?

but it is true some customers got voice issue since the enabling of VoLTE. In such case, it needs PM support to get involved and refresh the account on the system. Please have your friend to open ticket with support 

Need Help? Let's chat.