cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number to telus

Waffles822
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I tried to help my mother port her number from Public to Telus. The Telus agent said that is not possible since public is a subsidiary of Telus. Really? So I can never move over to Telus? Anyone heard of this?

8 REPLIES 8

lorca01
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Another thing your mother might try is using a different email address when setting up her Telus account from the one she uses at Public Mobile.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

It is common practice for the salesperson at a cellular store to misinform customers.

I imagine that some of them actually misunderstand things themselves. They are hired for sales and retail experience, not for technical competence. And they are supposed to be familiar with their own product, they have no real obligation to know everything about everything else on the market.

But all of them gain some sort of commission or kickback or bonus or quota for signing up customers to a preferred brand. There's a conflict of interest when they have to advise people towards other brands. I'm not going to accuse all of them of being greasy liars, but I will say that many people in that profession have slippery ethics. They often view the customer as a stubborn or gullible obstacle between them and their money.

I'm sure that a Public Mobile CSA would give a different answer to this number porting question than the one given by a counterpart at Telus Mobility.

@Waffles822 

Funny that the rep is telling to port into Freedom so why not to PM.

Go to another Telus/Koodo store or talk to the Manager of the store.

You will find more affordable plans with Koodo.

Run away. Or use another rep. Definitely inform the manager.

Waffles822
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

They told me I had to go to transfer my number to another company first (e.g., freedom) and then after a month then transfer to tell us. They said that was only way?? Sounds fishy to me

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Waffles822 PM number can for sure be ported to Koodo and Telus. 

The sales simply gave you wrong info.  Basically he does not even know his product he is selling you.  I suggest you not to give the business to that sales and store.  Go to another Telus store and find another sales with more experience 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Waffles822 

That is incorrect.  Your mom can port to Telus and Koodo and any other Canadian mobile company. 

You will need to provide Telus your mom's PM account number, account holder name and phone number.  Keep the PM SIM card in the phone until you receive the port request confirmation text.  Answer yes to the text. 

Here is some more information:

Transferring Your Public Mobile Number To Another Service Provider

To help protect our customers from fraud, Public Mobile will send you an SMS text message should we receive a request to transfer your mobile phone number to another carrier. This step is designed to protect your account by confirming if the request is genuine or fraudulent.The SMS text will read as follows: Public Mobile message: We’ve received a request to transfer this phone number to another service provider. To approve this request, please reply “Yes”. If you did not request this transfer, please reply “No”. Please note that you must respond within 90 minutes. If we don’t receive a response within this time, the request will be automatically cancelled. For any issues with this number transfer, contact our Porting Team. Thank you.If you have made a request to port your number to another carrier and have not received an SMS from Public Mobile to confirm your request, please open our chatbot via this link. This will put you in touch with our Customer Support Agents who will be able to assist you.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Waffles822 

I think Telus rep is giving you the runaround. You can port most numbers to any carriers.

But check to see if the number can be ported out:

https://www.ooma.ca/check-portability/ 

Need Help? Let's chat.