cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting my number issue

JagRan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

I am new to Public Mobile and was previously using Rogers as my primary provider. I still have a Rogers account with the phone number I have been using for years which I want to keep but I also want to keep my Rogers account active as a secondary number because its a very sweet deal, just not enough data (hence the Public account I opened). If I port my number that is with Rogers to Public, it will close my Rogers account. I asked Rogers if there is a workaround but apparently not. They say the only option is that they can change my number to another one and the number I have had for years goes 'back in the pool'.

My question is, can Public Mobile fish out that number from the pool for me to then have as my primary number with Public Mobile?

I hope the above makes sense.

10 REPLIES 10

JagRan

@BKNS27 

Yes, I could easily port my number from Rogers but the issue is that it will cancel my account and plan with Rogers which was a great promotional deal of Canada-US unlimited minutes and texts and 6GB data for $16 a month.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@JagRan 

You can check which carrier your number belongs to:

https://www.carrierlookup.com/ 

Normally what happens is your number will be returned to the carrier you originally got the number from. Once it is returned back to the carrier, it will be put on hold for 90 days before it is released by that carrier for new members who wants that number.

So very slim that you will get it back so why not port it over to PM and get a new number from Rogers?

Or you could be a tad underhanded and open a new account at Rogers "for your kid" but that the kid really likes your number and so maybe they would give your account the new number and move your number to "the kids" account. Then "the kid" misbehaved and you port the number out as a punishment. To your Public account.

@JagRan wrote:

@computergeek541 

I understand what you're saying but that is not my question. I am wondering once my original number is back in the pool, can Public Mobile then find it and assign it to my new Public SIM card?

I now understand that you simply want to change the number at Rogers and then try to get it back afterwards.  I believe that you would have better luck performing a regular number port out to Public Mobile and then seeing if the Rogers winback/retention department is willing to assign your old plan on a new activation at Rogers.  However, if keeping the plan at Rogers is extremely important, don't do any of this before negotiating this aspect with Rogers.

JagRan

I'm pretty sure it was Koodo. Its not the end of the world if I lose the number, it would just be ideal if I didn't! I'll contact Koodo and see if there is a way.

Thank you for all your advice!

You might have a sliver of luck. From what I can tell the number originates with Telus Mobility.
If you were to change the number at Rogers then they would release the number back to the originator. Not sure exactly how long that takes. I seem to think it could be upwards to 3 months. It might be a better bet to start an account with Telus and try to have them pick up the number from their pool. Then it's yours again to do whatever you like with it. But these are generally long shots. I know I wouldn't bet on it. But it can happen.

Adding - but Telus Mobility could mean Koodo and could mean Public as well. There's no differentiation in the reference I use.

JagRan

@computergeek541 

I understand what you're saying but that is not my question. I am wondering once my original number is back in the pool, can Public Mobile then find it and assign it to my new Public SIM card?

JagRan

@dust2dust 

Thanks. Its 403-333

@JagRan wrote:

Hi all,

I am new to Public Mobile and was previously using Rogers as my primary provider. I still have a Rogers account with the phone number I have been using for years which I want to keep but I also want to keep my Rogers account active as a secondary number because its a very sweet deal, just not enough data (hence the Public account I opened). If I port my number that is with Rogers to Public, it will close my Rogers account. I asked Rogers if there is a workaround but apparently not. They say the only option is that they can change my number to another one and the number I have had for years goes 'back in the pool'.

My question is, can Public Mobile fish out that number from the pool for me to then have as my primary number with Public Mobile?

I hope the above makes sense.

This is entirely a matter to discuss with Rogers. Once the number gets ported to Public Mobile, the service with that phone numbrer at Rogers will immediately get cancelled. Trying to keep your old plan at Rogers isn't something that Public Mobile can help with or discuss with you. 

Public Mobile can only port in a number from Rogers if it is active.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

If you tell us the first 6 digits of the number we can tell you where it originated. It's the originator of the number that can help you.

Need Help? Let's chat.