cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from Public Mobile to Public Mobile

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have a friend trying to do some account consolidation.  I have been asked for advice about porting a number from one Public Mobile account to another.  Before I give the advice, I want to make sure that the process is as straighforward as it appears.  Just to confirm, the sending account will close immediately and the receiving account will just pick up the ported number.

17 REPLIES 17

@dearmusic wrote:

@Luddite

Yeah I am certain, 100% workable as of 2 days ago.

@dearmusic wrote:

@Luddite

Thanks.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

dearmusic
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Luddite

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:
Let me try to illustrate.  Account #1 contains the phone number that will be kept.  Account #2 contains the plan that will be kept.  To consolidate, easiest approach is port phone number from account #1 into account #2.  Well it would be the easiest approach if porting from PM account to PM account was an available option.  Since it isn't, maybe it's back to the drawing board.  I hope I don't get follow up questions on using speakout.  I have had experience with using PC mobile prepaid but not speakout. 

Just to be clear - is the plan on account #2 no longer available?  IE is it the fall promo plan?  If so, then yes, the only option is to port the number out from account #1 to a different provider (I've heard that you can port into Virgin prepaid without actually topping up).  If the plan *is* still available, then no need to do anything.  Just do a plan change on account #2.

@dearmusic Just double checking that you are certain a speakout account may be activated without adding any money?  I thought it required a "deposit" of, at least, $25 to activate; i.e. $25 to get going.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

dearmusic

@will13am wrote:

I hope I don't get follow up questions on using speakout.  I have had experience with using PC mobile prepaid but not speakout. 

Speak out is actually super easy...

As someone who just finished doing this, the procedure is:

1. Buy a $10 sim card

2. activate your sim card

3. Go to http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/switch to port your number 

4. wait 24 hours (They are SUPER SLOW)

5. Rogers will send you a message saying porting is compelete

6. go to your PM account and port in the number, speakout uses the phone number as the account number, so be aware

7. PM is much faster, wait for the porting to be compelete and you are done.

you dont need to add any credit to your speakout

@CaNuCk07 wrote:

I AM SO CONFUSED! lol

"The friend wants to keep the number from the account being closed.  So that is why porting was being considered as the option."

THen can't the friend just not close the account? and close the other one?

Let me try to illustrate.  Account #1 contains the phone number that will be kept.  Account #2 contains the plan that will be kept.  To consolidate, easiest approach is port phone number from account #1 into account #2.  Well it would be the easiest approach if porting from PM account to PM account was an available option.  Since it isn't, maybe it's back to the drawing board.  I hope I don't get follow up questions on using speakout.  I have had experience with using PC mobile prepaid but not speakout. 

dearmusic

@CaNuCk07 wrote:

I AM SO CONFUSED! lol

"The friend wants to keep the number from the account being closed.  So that is why porting was being considered as the option."

Let's say account A has service untill March, and has $10 in credit, and is the account he wants.

Account B has nothing and expires next week, but holds the phone number he use primarily.

What is a better solution?

I AM SO CONFUSED! lol

@ShawnC13 wrote:

With the ability to change plans not seeing how this would be necessary.  If it was to get a certain number on the fall plan should have done a future dated plan change when it was offered

Some people live complicated lives.  I am only trying to help by answering questions. 

With the ability to change plans not seeing how this would be necessary.  If it was to get a certain number on the fall plan should have done a future dated plan change when it was offered

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

dearmusic

@will13am wrote:

Strange that they don't allow it.  There doesn't appear to be a technical impediment.

If you are a PM customer and want to port in a PM number, it will give you error when you check for availability.

@dearmusic wrote:

You can't port from PM to PM, there is no way for you to do it.

What I did was port PM to SpeakOut ($10 sim card, buy it from your local 7-11 or online) and then SpeakOut to PM.

Strange that they don't allow it.  There doesn't appear to be a technical impediment.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The friend wants to keep the number from the account being closed.  So that is why porting was being considered as the option. 

@CaNuCk07  unless the plan is no longer offered like the Fall promo I was thinking the same thing

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

Wouldnt it make more send for your friend to just change the plan on the account he wants to keep and close the other?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

So your friend has 2 accounts and wants one to close?  They want to close one account but keep that number and move it over to persumably a better plan then what it was on but already have that plan with another number?  They will lose one of the numbers for sure it sounds like

dearmusic

You can't port from PM to PM, there is no way for you to do it.

What I did was port PM to SpeakOut ($10 sim card, buy it from your local 7-11 or online) and then SpeakOut to PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.