cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from Fido, and duration of new plans?

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Going to help a family of 3 port from Fido to PM. 🙂

First question, any gotchas with doing this? We have a copy of their Fido statement, know about the 90min confirm-by-text, and they know not to cancel with Fido. Haven't done this for a few months and I always worry something has changed (like when the text confirmation got introduced).

Second, we're planning to put two on $22/6GB/90d plan and one on $19/2GB/90d plan (they use <1GB now but for $3 it should be worth it). Is there any indication how long those will be around? I could only find one thread and it's made read-only, I assume because of arguing.

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

EB0
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ottawa 

Last week the SIM ($10) was free, it used to take 3 weeks to arrive, now only the eSIM ($5) is free

the billing start when you activate the SIM.

ottawa

@EB0I'm wondering about that. I gave the serial number of a SIM, gave payment info, and chose a plan. It says they've been billed, but they haven't yet downloaded the PM app and activated the SIM. It seems likely they are now locked in to the plan (in this case, $57/2GB/90d (technically 6GB/90d). But has the clock actually started on their billing cycle? At this point it doesn't matter but I'm wondering.

Thanks again everyone for the support.

ottawa

Thanks, that's disappointing about the SIM card, it was a bonus last time to jump on a deal and not have to activate immediately (when the physical SIM was $0). Oh well.

EB0

@ottawa 

1. If they are on postpaid plan, Fido will refund them the prorated amount when they port out.

2. If you have the SIM or order $5 SIM card, you will be pay and active the service on the same day, I don’t think it’s possible to pay first and active later.

ottawa

@EB0  es the savings are minimal but I feel like they're annoyed with Fido. I suggested waiting but they were gung ho.

@hTideGnow  Yeah, now $50 buys you 100GB. 🙂 I actually snagged the $29/10GB (or was it 20GB) that was only up for a few hours. Of course they soon got me to switch to $34/50GB (because of the US coverage) but I was quite proud of that one for a few days. 🙂

Now two more questions.

1. Is Fido going to give them a prorated refund, or are they on the hook for the month the way they would be with PM? It makes a difference to when they activate.

2. Last time I did this for someone, physical SIMs were $0 so we ordered one, but now they're back to $10. If we say "I have a SIM" (if I can find my spare, or they're $5 at Amazon), do I need to track which SIM # goes with which account? Also, does this mean they have to activate immediately? The last time, it was a couple of weeks before my friends were ready to activate on PM. They paid for the first month right away, but didn't activate (and start the billing clock) for a couple of weeks. Wanted to do the same this time.

Thanks.

EB0

@ottawa , by porting from Fido to PM, you will saving $3 per month downgrade from 40GB to 6GB and you need to pay $612 upfront to Fido, I don’t think it with the effort to port, just stay with Fido till the end of the term

just wait till Black Friday or Boxing Day deals.

@ottawa hard to say when promotion ends.  Usually the promotion plans are there for 2 or 3 weeks and those plans you mentioned are new this week

However, the best plan I saw, the 90 days plan of $75 60 GB was only there for 1 week

ottawa

Thanks, that's what worries me. I want to get them ported, but if they can't come over tomorrow (Friday) it could be Monday. I guess PM hasn't announced an end date for these promotions (specifically 2GB and 6GB) which they've sometimes done in the past.

HI @ottawa 

the "Limited" , "Promotion" just mean limited time to join.  Price will be same once you got the plan

ottawa

Thanks. These PM plans are flagged as "Promotion" (and all the other plans >$20 are "Limited Time") so I'm worried they'll be gone by tomorrow or whenever we do it. They're paying $40/40GB but have a $15/mo credit (so $25 on Fido vs $22 on PM), I assume as a subsidy for the handsets they bought (they owe $612+tax each, but it appears Fido will be collecting the full $612 from them at $47 for the next 13 months, so my position is they might as well switch (except they need to come up with the handset money all at once now, instead of a drip at a time).

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @ottawa 

1.  all good, you summed up what to do for porting. You are in control

2. PM price is also same as long as you got the plan.  Of course , they can simply increase the price with 30 days notice, but this rarely happens.  I only seen it once in my couple years here.  One the $10 plan has increased to $13 and I never heard of other plan of price hike 

(there was another time PM almost did it, but PM being nice in the end and stopped)

Need Help? Let's chat.