cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a phone number

Cathie1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I go about getting public mobile to send a request to my old provider to port my phone number

12 REPLIES 12

@Cathie1 if you replied the text to you old provider,  you can now insert the PM sim card into a phone.  You should be able yo make outgoing calls no issue   For incoming, reboot every 30 mins until you incoming

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

You could put the new sim in anytime but inbound calling is usually the last thing to work. If you leave the old sim in, I seem to recall that you would get a text on it saying it's all done and to insert the new sim. And that then the old sim would stop working.

@Cathie1 

open ticket directly >  https://bit.ly/3Km9bXv

Cathie1

Ok.  I received the system from my old provider to port the number.  How long do I wait before inserting new Sim card from public mbile

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Both accounts have to be active.

Then at PM side head to 'Transfer Phone Number'.

Yummy_0-1661714066848.png

Cathie1

Did not receive message from old provider.  I called them and they told me the request timed out.  Need it resent to them 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Cathie1 if you have not activated PM account yet, you can do so within the activation process.  Instead of asking for a new nimber, you can request to port in your old number 

if you are a PM customer  now and have not request the port in of the number yet,  you can login to My Account and request port in.  On the top right, click Quick Links and select Chamge Phone number 

If you already requested porting and did not get the text from yiur old provider, there is a number you can call to talk to live person for further help.  Let is know if you need the number 

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Through the change number function in the account. The old account will need to be active and you need to leave the old sim in a phone to confirm (if cellular).

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@Cathie1 

ensure that you have received a validation SMS text from your previous service provider, and that you have followed the instructions in the message within 90 minutes to approve the number transfer.
Your old SIM card must be inside your device and your account with your previous provider must still be active so you can receive and respond to the SMS and authorize the request. Please do not replace your old SIM card with your Public SIM until you have responded to this message SMS reply YES
To given the approval to transfer your old number to new provider.

This can be done during activation, or if you're already a Public Mobile customer, from your self serve account.  You'll want to get the account number from your old carrier.

Need Help? Let's chat.