cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting Account Closure

Ashley98
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I activated 3 phones last night (ported from Telus - all on the same account). I got an error message on one of the activations and had to involve the moderators and tech support, they called me this morning and the phone is working on public mobile network now. My issue is the phone number I had issues with is still showing active on the Telus account whereas the other two numbers cancelled immediately after I activated them on public and I got a “Sorry to see you go” email. Should I be contact Telus or will this fix itself? 

13 REPLIES 13

@Ashley98 did you try sending another private message to the moderators?

Ashley98

Yeah I contacted Telus just to see what it looked like on their end and the guy I spoke with said the same thing. As far as he could tell it didn’t look like the porting was complete even though the phone is working on the PM network. He said if he cancelled the account I could potentially still lose the number. I called the porting centre phone number that @geopublic suggested and they opened a ticket about 6 hours ago but unfortunately it still isn’t resolved. I hope they can fix it soon because I don’t want to continue paying for a Telus cell phone bill that I’m not even using. 

@BenjaminQC wrote:

If you're using the same number as on the old Telus account and the phone is now working on Public Mobile, then the switch was probably good! But just to be sure I would email Telus to tell them to officially close the account.

This is normally actually a a very bad idea. As acccounts are supposed to close out when porting is complete, having them manually close the account will only result in you losing the phone number. 

There are rare exceptions, but in general, customers should not be contacting the old carrier except to pay any final bill.

Ashley98

Yes everything is working! I can call out, text out, receive calls and texts, data is working fine. The only issue is my Telus account is still active and they’re saying the port didn’t complete but they are looking into it! 

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ashley98 wrote:

Thanks! I called that number and it seems there is definitely an issue. They have a ticket in now to finalize the port on their end and then close the Telus account. 

Calling your number from another phone is a good test for the transfer status as it will only come through to PM once the transfer is complete.

@Ashley98  That makes sense because if the port completes then the account should automatically close. Thanks for the update.

Ashley98

Thanks! I called that number and it seems there is definitely an issue. They have a ticket in now to finalize the port on their end and then close the Telus account. 

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ashley98 

I would just to be sure to contract Telus about the status of the account. You don’t want to be hit by multiple charges (even though after porting like everyone else had said it should automatically close)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ashley98 wrote:

I activated 3 phones last night (ported from Telus - all on the same account). I got an error message on one of the activations and had to involve the moderators and tech support, they called me this morning and the phone is working on public mobile network now. My issue is the phone number I had issues with is still showing active on the Telus account whereas the other two numbers cancelled immediately after I activated them on public and I got a “Sorry to see you go” email. Should I be contact Telus or will this fix itself? 

I would say as long as you don't pay to renew that Telus one and that all features work here then just let it slide.

If you would be more comfortable and everything works here then you could call them and request to close the account. As mentioned, it should close automatically but this one seems a little tripped up.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@Ashley98 Hello it is better to be safe than sorry I would contact them also each account/phone number must have its own email For setting up self serve if not it is just going to cause you issues I would get that straightened out with the help of the moderator ASAP have a great day

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Ashley98 

Once you  port out, your old carrier account automatically closes.  Is your new PM line fully functional?  Can you receive call or texts?  

You may want to try the old Telus SIM card in  your phone to see whether it is still working also.  

BenjaminQC

If you're using the same number as on the old Telus account and the phone is now working on Public Mobile, then the switch was probably good! But just to be sure I would email Telus to tell them to officially close the account. to ask if everything is good on their side.

Edit : As other people said, it seems it could be risky to tell Telus to close your account to not lose your phone number, but maybe you could just contact them to check if there is a problem? I mean, if the porting went well and Telus continues to charge you, there must be a way to stop paying Telus without losing your phone number!

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Ashley98 Once the port is complete the Telus account is automatically closed. Welcome to PM.  Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.