cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting Questions - Toronto number, Montreal address

lifestronaut
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I'm considering moving my mother's phone service from Virgin to Public Mobile, but had a few questions about her current setup.  Right now, she has a Toronto 647 phone number, but is currently living in Montreal.  She does not want to give up her Toronto number at all, and having a Montreal phone number is out of the question for her.

1. Can she port her Toronto number to Public Mobile while having a billing address in Montreal?

2.  Which province's plans would she be able to select from?

Thanks..

16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Anonymous 

The promotion is offered on the activation website. You just select the $35 plan and the price will show as $30 with an additional 500MB mentioned during the payment step if you are in Quebec. If you're not in Quebec, only the additional 500MB shows (but not the $5 off).

So it depends on one's location during online activation. As we all know there are ways to change your location. 🙂

Yes thank you I'm aware of the promotion. What I'm not certain about is whether the number is involved or just the address ie. location. While area code implies province...is that a part of the criteria or is it just ones address? One would also wonder that porting in a number but using a Quebec address might satisfy the promo.

I have no idea how they determine " if you are in Quebec"  or how they can enforce it unless they know at the time of activation you are located in Quebec. The only way to do that is by determining your location during activation. 

Ok so VPN in to a Quebec server access point puts your IP address "in" Quebec. You can put a Quebec address in. But I should think one ought to be able to port in from elsewhere and get the Quebec promo.

But some people are asserting that the number has to be a Quebec number. I think that's an assumption. Not to be asserted.

@Anonymous wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Anonymous 

The promotion is offered on the activation website. You just select the $35 plan and the price will show as $30 with an additional 500MB mentioned during the payment step if you are in Quebec. If you're not in Quebec, only the additional 500MB shows (but not the $5 off).

So it depends on one's location during online activation. As we all know there are ways to change your location. 🙂

Yes thank you I'm aware of the promotion. What I'm not certain about is whether the number is involved or just the address ie. location. While area code implies province...is that a part of the criteria or is it just ones address? One would also wonder that porting in a number but using a Quebec address might satisfy the promo.

I have no idea how they determine " if you are in Quebec"  or how they can enforce it unless they know at the time of activation you are located in Quebec. The only way to do that is by determining your location during activation. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

@Anonymous 

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@lifestronaut she can port her number. 

Also take note that sometimes there are offers in Quebec that are not available in Ontario. So I would look out for that before porting. 😉

@Anonymous 

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@geopublic 

Thanks for the fast and informative message. I appreciate it 🙂 

@brettster99  Yes, you can change it to any Canadian area code you wish via selfserve.

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous @geopublic @Triguy 

If I wanted to I know I can click change phone number and it would be changed. But how easy is it to change phone numbers to another province to have the sales tax lessened? Ontario 13% is kinda killing me.

Is it has simple of clicking phone number and adding an area code for the place? Or something else? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

If you are interested in the Quebec promo plan you must have a Quebec number to qualify.

@geopublic 

Do you have a reference for that? Do you know if it's one or the other or both of number and address? Address makes sense to me. Number could make sense. But I'm not sure of the fact.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@lifestronaut  Public Mobile is prepaid they don't care what your address is or where you live. You can port in your number from anywhere in Canada. The sales tax charged depends on your phone number and not your address. You can choose any plan that PM offers. If you are interested in the Quebec promo plan you must have a Quebec number to qualify.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@lifestronaut hi here is the sale that was mentioned 

Public Mobile (Quebec)
Starts April 28, 2020 (limited time, no end date set yet)
Online only

The current $35 plan will be discounted by $5 and an additional 500MB bonus will be applied for customers in Quebec.
This makes the plan:
Unlimited Canada-wide calling, Unlimted text messages, and 1GB+ 500MB (promotional bonus) + 500MB (autopay bonus)
Additional $2 discount for subscribing to Autopay bringing the price down to $28+taxes/30 days.

Conditions:
- regional Quebec pricing only
-new account activations, activated online only
-discount and additional data will be applied automatically

The $5 off the $35 plan is in Quebec only (new accounts, online activation).

The 500MB additional promotional data on the $35 plan is available nation-wide (new accounts, online activation).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lifestronaut wrote:

Thanks.

Are there any porting restrictions/rules that state the phone number must have a billing address in the same province, or vice-versa?

No.

There's a promo for Quebec on now. I wonder if it can be picked up with a non-Quebec number or if it just wants your address to be in Quebec.

Edit: @Triguy : the tax is based on the province that the area code belongs to.

I don't think so.  The area code will determine the provincial sales tax.

lifestronaut
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks.

Are there any porting restrictions/rules that state the phone number must have a billing address in the same province, or vice-versa?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lifestronaut 

1. Yes.

2. All plans are nation-wide.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

She should be able to port her 647 over to PM.  All plans are across Canada.  She needs to keep her account open during the porting process.

Need Help? Let's chat.