cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port # to VoIP

bshnth29
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello

I'll be moving to another country. I like to port my PM # to VoIP as I'll be making calls to Canadian #s. Like to pay the min monthly fee to keep access for VM and to get 2 factor authentication. Is this possible? 

Thank you 😍

12 REPLIES 12

@bshnth29 wrote:

I have Google Authenticar App. How do I add PM to it? 

HI @bshnth29 

you cannot add PM 2FA to Google Authenticator

but if you are travelling, you can receive text 2FA, then you click "Didn't receive code" and then "Send email" and PM will send the code to your email instead of text

HI @bshnth29 

what are you trying to do here?

if you decided to leave PM because cheaper cost with VoIP, then you really dont care PM service works overseas or not

but if you decided to stay, you have to make note PM has no roaming service other than US and there is no workarounds

bshnth29

I have Google Authenticar App. How do I add PM to it? 

bshnth29

Appreciate the detailed reply but I have an Android. Any suggestions?

Lonetree
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If using an iPhone, find a “spare” iPhone someplace and put your existing PM SIM in it.  Log the new phone onto your iTunes account.

Then, on the new phone, go to Settings->Messages and select the “Text Message Following” option and turn it on for your existing iPhone (and iPad if you have one).  Now all SMS and iMessage texts will be forwarded to your phone in another country (assuming it has an internet connection).

Next, on the new iPhone, go to Settings->Phone and select “Calls on Other Devices”.  Turn it on.  Turn on the devices you want to ring when your PM phone rings.  Now all phone calls you receive on your Canadian number will cause the new iPhone and iPad, if selected) to ring as long as it has an internet connection.

Leave your new iPhone, plugged in to a charger, with someone you trust in Canada.  Put it in Silent Mode or turn down the ringer to avoid annoyance to your host.

Jim

@bshnth29 

no it won't.  

the 2FA will only work on countries that have PM's service, Canada and US.  If you go to other countries, PM will not have services there and you won't receive the 2FA code.  In cases like this, you will have to change to receive 2FA via other means instead of SMS, like via Authenticator app

bshnth29

Thank you. Will the 2 factor still work if I keep PM # and subscription and have internet access no matter where i am globally? 

KZ1964
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

PM only works in Canada and US.  

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@bshnth29 If you port your number out to a VOIP provider, your PM account will automatically be closed. 

bshnth29

Hiya

If I dont port over, can I buy another PM eSim and activate it on a international local phone? Will i still access to VM and 2 factor notifications (paying a monthly PM subscription)?

KZ1964
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

PM only works in Canada and the US.  If you port your # then your PM account closes 

bshnth29

Also, if I get a local phone and number from the country I'll be moving to, can I buy another PM eSim and activate it on that local phone? Will i still access to VM and 2 factor notifications (paying a monthly PM subscription) and once it's ported over to VoIP? 

VoIP allows me to make calls to Canadian #s (due to work clients) without paying roaming charges and decent monthly fees. I also want to keep the PM # to access my VM and 2 factor (paying a PM monthly fee). 

Not sure if any of my brilliant ideas would work here. Asking the experts 😃🤗

Need Help? Let's chat.