cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port number away and get a new Public number

ruthb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would like to Port my current number to a VOIP service, but keep my current Public Mobile plan and get a new phone number associated with it. Is this possible?

23 REPLIES 23

@pkaraa 

I believe on occasion CSA agents will make an exception to this policy on a case by case basis if the customer is opening a new account with telus and possibly koodo.

@pkaraa wrote:

I would suggest OP to get in touch with support agents for this who can try this work around.

Lets say OP's current number is X1.

Either change X1 yourself or CSA can do it BUT while reserving X1 now OP have two plans - one with all the rewards and new number X2 and one new $15 plan with X1 number.

Now port X1 out to VOIP and the plan will be cancelled out automatically.

Now you have X2( new number ) with old plan with all the rewards and X1 on your VOIP. 

P.S. First make sure CSA can reserve your X1 number to a new plan. 

Customer support agents were previously instructed to not assist with this type of request.

pkaraa
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I would suggest OP to get in touch with support agents for this who can try this work around.

Lets say OP's current number is X1.

Either change X1 yourself or CSA can do it BUT while reserving X1 now OP have two plans - one with all the rewards and new number X2 and one new $15 plan with X1 number.

Now port X1 out to VOIP and the plan will be cancelled out automatically.

Now you have X2( new number ) with old plan with all the rewards and X1 on your VOIP. 

P.S. First make sure CSA can reserve your X1 number to a new plan. 

@darlicious no.your workaround is perfect..

My main point is the 2nd part.. I was asking OP to consider change plan and give up the legacy one.. if he is willing to change plan, he can save some $ with the $15 plan.  I was questioning if it is worth to stick with the legacy one.

the "you" on the reply was referring to OP.. sorry if that caused some confusion 

@softech 

I have suggested to the OP a work around for the issue. Do you feel my suggestion is not valid?

yes, forwarding to VoIP seems to be the only option as OP still wants to get text and calls.  but no saving at all in this case.

The legacy plans are OK with the full LTE speed but price wise is not as good as current plan, you really wants to stay with it??

@Anonymous 

The OP has mentioned they are on a legacy plan so changing plans would cause the loss of their current plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ruthb 

you can change your plan to $15 to keep your number also you will keep all rewards.

* no need to miss a payment, when your plan is Reactivated or Suspended, all you have to do is replenish your balance to keep the same plan. You have up to 90 days to make a payment and in doing so your payment cycle will restart and your service will resume. After 90 days of non-payment, your account will be permanently deactivated, which means:

• Lose access to your phone number, and won’t be able to transfer it to a new provider in the future.
  • Need a new Public Mobile SIM card if you decide to activate a new Public Mobile account.

@ruthb 

You can call forward your pm number to fongo before you leave Canada. Then on wifi or mobile data with a local sim card you will have all pm calls go to your fongo number. Texts would require a text forwarding app and I believe you need to keep your pm sim card in a working phone left on and preferably connected to a charger. This would be best left with a trusted friend or family member who can monitor it for you. Again you would forward the Texts to your fongo number or the recommended service from the SMS forwarding app.

ruthb

unfortunately not as my current number is used for my business and I am going to be out of the country for a few months, which is why i need to transfer it to a VOIP so that I can still get txts and calls while I am away.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ruthb : No I think the new _other_ account is the better option. That way you keep everything here.

Get the new account and then if you must, forward calls from here to that new service.

ruthb

Thanks everyone, so I guess my best option is just to create a new Public Account and lose all my rewards, bonus' and old (great) plan  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ruthb 

if you want to Changing Your Number,

You can change your phone number up to 4 times every 30 days after you’ve activated. To change go to your Self Serve Account here link, and:

• Select the “Plans and Add ons” tab
  • Click on “Change Phone Number”
  • Then, you can choose to select a new phone number or to transfer a wireless or wireline number from another provider.
  • and Rebooting your device.

but when you do changing your old number to new number you can't getting back they old number..to port.

@softech 

Why didn't I think to say that?   lol

@ruthb  sorry, this is the way it is.. once you ported, your account closed and hence you cannot keep your account for number change after

@ruthb 

Then get the new phone number with your new phone carrier and keep your PM account as it is. 

Problem solved!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ruthb 

if you need to port your old number to another company, and you need also open new account with public mobile, so why you need to port then, just open new account or second account, or you need open new account with another company...

Changing phone number option is if you port a number to PM or you activate a new PM account.

ruthb

oh that's dissapointing as i sttill want the account just want a new number

@ruthb 

No the account will be closed automatically after the port. You wouldn't be able to access your account anymore.

ruthb

I see there is an option to 'change number' in the self serve, couldn't I do that after porting the number away?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Once you port a number out then your PM account would be closed.

Quigley
Mayor / Maire

@ruthb 

Sorry, no that's not possible. Once you port out your phone number, your account is automatically closed permanently and you forfeit all remaining rewards, minutes, data etc....

Need Help? Let's chat.